My wifes passport (Thai) will expire in November this year and will need replacing.

In her existing passport she has a valid 10 year multi entry US visa.

What happens to this visa when she gets her new passport ?

Will her US visa still be valid within her old passport in conjunction with the new passport or must we go to the US embassy here in Bangkok to get it transferred to the new passport ?

Thanks in advance.

My wifes passport (Thai) will expire in November this year and will need replacing.

Will her US visa still be valid within her old passport in conjunction with the new passport or must we go to the US embassy here in Bangkok to get it transferred to the new passport ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I just read maybe on some other forum the same question. And I believe the reply was something like this: When your wife gets her new passport, somehow or someway, maybe combining the two passports, the current visa will remain current. I'm almost 100 percent sure she won't have to get a new visa. Best thing to do maybe is to call the US embassy and ask.

Thanks in advance.

David

Absolutely NOT a problem.  My wife's been in that situation twice, 10-year visa in her expired Thai passport.  Just BE SURE to take both with you to the U.S. (both passports, that is, in addition to the wife!), show both to Immigration on arrival.

NO NEED to ask that the visa be tranferred to the new passport and I don't think they do that anyway.

Mac