Monk and disciple dead as Camry splits in two after hitting tree in NE

webfact

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Kantharawichai police in Maha Sarakham in Thailand's north east attended a grisly road accident.

A Camry being driven by a monk with a student along for the ride hit a tree.

Dead behind the wheel was 45 year old Phra Maha Natthawat an abbot's assistant at Wat Sawang Waree. 

20 meters away was the body of Atikan, 20.

Locals reported hearing a bang like an explosion, reported Thai Rath.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The area has pools of water and has roadworks and is not for the unwary, they said. 

The accident happened on Route 3006.

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-05

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2

"The area .........has roadworks and is not for the unwary, they said." 

Is there a Thai word for "unwary" - me wonders? The translation gizmos refer to "inattentive, reckless, careless, incautious, lightweight or raunchy". There you go! 

• Like 1

Am I missing something ?  Is there an issue with monks driving ? 

Is driving considered a luxury or something ?  (I pretty much ignore all regions nonsense so I really don’t know what they should and shouldn’t be doing etc - I’ve seen Monks in Business class on flights, a ‘family’ monk (Thai Wife side of the family) drives around in an S-Class Merc which was given to him). 

I’ve seen photos of the Camry on the Facebook site [Bad driving in Thailand] - the absolute annihilation of the car indicates extreme speed. 

As with the ‘Vios’ which basically disintegrated upon impact as the Pickup lost control, crossed the median and ‘flew’ into it (another thread currently running) - I saw the video of that. Utter carnage. 

The total and utter catastrophic destruction caused daily on Thailands roads is quite astonishing. 

Edited by richard_smith237

To quote the thais-----He must have forgotten to wear his amulet....

OR Id like to hear the explanation if he WAS-----Any thais are free to PM me.....

As this seems to be the go to answer for anything bad happening to thais(per thais)

The Duality of Thai Logic me thinks..

''The monk has the use of three robes: an outer garment, an under garment, and a cloak. The monk's equipment also includes begging bowl, a belt, a razor, a needle, a strainer, a staff and a tooth-pick. With his robes, these eight items, i.e. the Eight Requisites are allowed to the monk by the Buddha.'' ... no mention of wheels !!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Am I missing something ?  Is there an issue with monks driving ? 

Is driving considered a luxury or something ?  (I pretty much ignore all regions nonsense so I really don’t know what they should and shouldn’t be doing etc

We are in the same boat, kind of.

Long before coming to Thailand I read about the strict rules/discipline for the monks.

What I see today:

monks driving motor vehicle

monks strolling shopping centers

monks handling cash (buying cigarettes at the village shop)

monks being instructed by young females about the latest iPhone models

etc.pp.

(just this morning watched two orange robes leaning over the iPhone 13)

Now is this all acceptable nowadays?

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 6:09 PM, digger70 said:

RIP ,But a monk driving a car ? Rich Monk? It's a No NO

Yes, I thought that..... a friend of the wife who was a monk used to have a driver and got  ride from me a few times.... bit of a nuisance actually!

• Like 1