UK passport renewal

I can't speak for Chiang Mai, but the office in Bangkok is pretty efficient once you're there. They don't keep you waiting long, and if your paperwork is correct you don't spend more than a few minutes at the counter. The gripe for those of us who don't live close to Bangkok is having to go there twice, once to submit the application and then to collect the new passport and submit the old one for defacement.

As has already been stated, allow plenty of time to get your new passport, the HMPO website says 11 weeks (unless they changed it recently). That's not the fault of VFS, but of Passport Office staff pretending to work from home.

• Like 2

Just now, KannikaP said:
22 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

i have always wondered ,if you claim to live in the UK and get a new passport in BKK wouldnt you get caught out?

Not if you dont tell 'em. Temporarily working, vacation. But as said before, Do it well before passport expires.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
25 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

i have always wondered ,if you claim to live in the UK and get a new passport in BKK wouldnt you get caught out?

Why on earth would anyone do that? Actually, you can't because when applying for your passport, you have to provide VFS with proof of your address in Thailand.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Why on earth would anyone do that? Actually, you can't because when applying for your passport, you have to provide VFS with proof of your address in Thailand.

do not notify anybody,.gov.uk   send to uk address  someone else sends it over far cheaper too    done to death

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fredscats said:

do not notify anybody,.gov.uk   send to uk address  someone else sends it over far cheaper too    done to death

And the embassy letter, provided vis VFS?

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

They already know everything. The flight you left on, your seat number etc. Whether you have been out for more than 183 days etc.. 

If you haven't been out for more than 183 days all well and good.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

They already know everything. The flight you left on, your seat number etc. Whether you have been out for more than 183 days etc.. 

If you haven't been out for more than 183 days all well and good.

not part of passport obligations,could add  Dick Rider was on plane too  for all that matters

Apply online for a UK passport

Use this service to apply for, renew, replace or update your passport and pay for it online.

This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

If your passport is burgundy or has ‘European Union’ on the cover, you can continue to use it until it expires.

How long it takes

Check how long it will take to get a passport before you apply.

If you need a passport urgently, you can find out more about the Online Premium or 1 week Fast Track services.

Do not book travel until you have a valid passport - your new passport will not have the same number as your old one.

Before you start

You’ll need a debit or credit card to use this service.

It’s £9.50 cheaper to apply for a passport online than by post.

Start now

Edited by fredscats

52 minutes ago, fredscats said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

And the embassy letter, provided vis VFS?

54 minutes ago, fredscats said:

You have been through this quite recently..remember?         .gov.uk  replace lost/ stolen passport   Using UK address apply for new one  75 pounds,sent to UK address,UK addressee  sends it to Thailand DFS /Royal Mail/ whatever   NO VFS involvement   remember

I have been through this before? Actually no I haven't.

And you still haven't answered the question about the embassy letter provided via VHS. It is required by immigration in order to transfer your visa and extension details to your new passport.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I have been through this before? Actually no I haven't.

And you still haven't answered the question about the embassy letter provided via VHS. It is required by immigration in order to transfer your visa and extension details to your new passport.

no its not

• Thanks 1

I recently, via VFS Chiang Mai, renewed my UK passport, book an appointment, complete the paperwork, via GOV.UK website, take special care on passport size, mine took, 5 weeks from date of submission to receipt of new blue/black passport. My Immigration transferred visas in 20 minutes. No need for Embassy letter. When submitting I would recommend you take your Thai driving license, as it shows your Thai address on the reverse, or A P60 original. Their office is located adjacent to the MAYA shopping centre, with free parking.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stereolab said:

I recently, via VFS Chiang Mai, renewed my UK passport, book an appointment, complete the paperwork, via GOV.UK website, take special care on passport size, mine took, 5 weeks from date of submission to receipt of new blue/black passport. My Immigration transferred visas in 20 minutes. No need for Embassy letter. When submitting I would recommend you take your Thai driving license, as it shows your Thai address on the reverse, or A P60 original. Their office is located adjacent to the MAYA shopping centre, with free parking.

The DL is not a bad idea, but most will fall outside the one year rule. Up to HMPO in Liverpool whether they accept.

HMPO are cooperative and will accept, for example, a copy of a wife/partner's ID card signed by her stating that you live at 55 moo 5, Nakhon Nowhere.

Remember VfS are paper processors and have no authority. They will usually just ask if you are happy with the documents you are sending,

15 minutes ago, stereolab said:

Good post,..but it was always like this,but its good to confuse the issues,put something there that is absolutely naff,least it gets bandwidth reduced

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

The DL is not a bad idea, but most will fall outside the one year rule. Up to HMPO in Liverpool whether they accept.

HMPO are cooperative and will accept, for example, a copy of a wife/partner's ID card signed by her stating that you live at 55 moo 5, Nakhon Nowhere.

Remember VfS are paper processors and have no authority. They will usually just ask if you are happy with the documents you are sending,

Please expand upon “the one year rule”.

23 minutes ago, fredscats said:

Good post,..but it was always like this,but its good to confuse the issues,put something there that is absolutely naff,least it gets bandwidth reduced

If you have never done it previously, what it was “always like” has no relevance.

9 hours ago, stereolab said:

Please expand upon “the one year rule”.

Table A Identity, name and address and/or residency evidence All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency dated within the last year

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf