Westpac bank hassles

Has any oz expats using west p c bank been asked to update your identity. Sounds very fishy. called them and they never heard of i. yet toady trey contacted me  by email demanding i show proof including drivers license medicare card an birth certificate. I of course have none of those.  Has anyone else heard from these clowns.they threaten to block account if i don't comply. I  Can't comply.

• Sad 1

If you have any doubt about the legitimacy of the sender (sounds fishy to me), call the bank (make sure you are calling the bank and not some number some fishy email gave you) and ask them what's going on.  

Sounds 100 % scamming, get on there free chat line and give them something to do , but from past experiences Westpac customer service agents are useless , just good for giving standard banking answers & not solving problems, good luck

Never send personal information to any other than to Thai immigration or a consultant. Walk in brick and mortar business with documents. 

and if you get a call demanding money, just tell them you’ll meet them at 3:00 am in a dark ally with the funds. 

• Confused 1

You are adviset to carry out this demand from within your account.Open Alerts in notification here will will find directions and a link to provide this info, passport and medicare card.

I was unable to do this as my account is "the wrong type"

I downloaded the document for ID verification, completed this,had a copy of my passport notarized and posted by registered mail.

As the required reply date is impossible I contacted CVT,I emailed them copies of each of these items including the envelope showing post office stamps.

Sent this to [email protected],

Explained about postal delivery problems,they replied comfirming my information was accepted and my account will not be affected.

Hope this helps

Content of email from Westpac CVT

Hi xxx

I have been successful in locating the document you have sent with the tracking number and also confirmed the amended answer for section 10.

I will ensure your accounts are not restricted as you have supplied the information via email.

There is no further action required from you at this point in time.

Please also note, you may receive correspondence via email as they are sent from an automated system until the case has been closed off. Please ignore these.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kind regards

Jonathan

KYC Analyst 

KYC Maintenance & Enforcement Admin

1300 720 314 Opt 2

Customer Verification Team

GPO Box 2218

Adelaide SA 5000

Confidential communication

Westpac Banking Corporation (ABN 33 007 457 141, AFSL 233714)

Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking Corporation

2 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

As it turns it was a scam.Caused a lot of stress but i gave them nothing. Thanks for all replys

You will get another email from Westpac,it is not a scam,ignore this and your accounts will be locked

• Like 1

3 hours ago, norbra said:

You are adviset to carry out this demand from within your account.Open Alerts in notification here will will find directions and a link to provide this info, passport and medicare card.

I was unable to do this as my account is "the wrong type"

I downloaded the document for ID verification, completed this,had a copy of my passport notarized and posted by registered mail.

As the required i tried contactinng customer servce waste a coule oh hours date is impossible I contacted CVT,I emailed them copies of each of these items including the envelope showing post office stamps.

Sent this to [email protected],

Explained about postal delivery problems,they replied comfirming my information was accepted and my account will not be affected.

Hope this helps

1 hour ago, norbra said:

You will get another email from Westpac,it is not a scam,ignore this and your accounts will be locked

I was called by a security expert at w p after i complained big time that no one at the bank knew what i was talking about. she said westpac would never use email or messenger to send such a demand. Said my account was fully up to date and toignore any more demands. confirmed to me it was a scam. I am a retired pensioner living here for over 10years I have none of the documents the scammers wanted.All expired years ago   impossible to comply. maybe you are the one who got scammed. My caller was much relieved when i told her i gave them no informaton about me. we shall see.

I am with Bendigo Bank who I have always found very good to deal with compared to the other <deleted>.  They normally ask to verify identity every couple of years.  No big deal really.  However this year I was asked via email instead of the usual secure messaging within their internet banking site.  I at first smelt a scam and rang the bank.  Turns out it was legit, the staff member responsible got a caning, and I recieved a written apology saying it should never have happened via normal email, I did the right thing by refusing to supply via email, and they had taken steps so it never happens again.

Does make me wonder though how it could have happened with the training the staff gets and whether there is more to the story.

34 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

I was called by a security expert at w p after i complained big time that no one at the bank knew what i was talking about. she said westpac would never use email or messenger to send such a demand. Said my account was fully up to date and toignore any more demands. confirmed to me it was a scam. I am a retired pensioner living here for over 10years I have none of the documents the scammers wanted.All expired years ago   impossible to comply. maybe you are the one who got scammed. My caller was much relieved when i told her i gave them no informaton about me. we shall see.

The problem here the email was sent by CVT not the bank,I spoke with wp and they told me to contact cvt,I managed to connect with them with phone number supplied by Westpac,in my instance i received confirmation that my accounts were secure,as all transactions were done via the app I cannot see why you have doubts.

2 minutes ago, norbra said:

The problem here the email was sent by CVT not the bank,I spoke with wp and they told me to contact cvt,I managed to connect with them with phone number supplied by Westpac,in my instance i received confirmation that my accounts were secure,as all transactions were done via the app I cannot see why you have doubts.

I have no doubts I just know what my notice reqiured was impossible to comply with. The woman who told me it was a scam had all of my complaint information and checked it out my account is fully operational and up to  date . they would never use messenger to contact me.

Anyway I will do nothing until they try to freeze my account. What good is a birth certificate from Canada,. A drivers  license expired 10 years ago. As  resident i do not get medicare unless i return permanently to Oz. Never happen See soothing smells. I believe my caller from westpac.

4 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

I have no doubts I just know what my notice reqiured was impossible to comply with. The woman who told me it was a scam had all of my complaint information and checked it out my account is fully operational and up to  date . they would never use messenger to contact me.

I had to speak with 4 wp staff untill the last one logged on to my account located the alert,after reading the alert they advised that i should talk with cvt with number they gave me,also their gave email [email protected],if you want further information you can email and they will confirm your email and will contact you within 3 working days.

Don't want you to get into an impossible position,i see you are posting more 

9 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

Anyway I will do nothing until they try to freeze my account. What good is a birth certificate from Canada,. A drivers  license expired 10 years ago. As  resident i do not get medicare unless i return permanently to Oz. Never happen See soothing smells. I believe my caller from westpac.

If you read my posts you will see I only provided passport nothing else,this experience left me qhite exhausted trying to help you to get past that stage,if you read fully about lockout you will have to be in AU to unlock.

Also when I connectEd with cvt I gave my customer no and they verified that I was indeed the caller

Edited by norbra

In my pursuit of clarification I posted a complaint on the Westpac facebook page,I was contacted by a Westpac officer the following day,he arranged a time that a rep would call me re ID request,from there all was resolved re my verification

1 hour ago, johnmcc6 said:

I have attached a copy of my latest correspondence with cvt, I will post their responseScreenshot_20220414_204415_com.google.android_gm.thumb.jpg.7fed249ea7d5e35bc9b35418f94a0138.jpg

9 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

I have attached a copy of my latest correspondence with cvt, I will post their responseScreenshot_20220414_204415_com.google.android_gm.thumb.jpg.7fed249ea7d5e35bc9b35418f94a0138.jpg

Just now, norbra said:

I have received 3 emails recently from Westpac,1st was notification of statement,2nd, confirmation that I. Had changed my password 3rd confirmation that I had changed my daily limit. So they do send emails that do not include links or requests for account details

On 4/14/2022 at 7:14 PM, johnmcc6 said:

Your email address is having problems my email to you today was returned as undeliverable unknown address

3 hours ago, norbra said:

Emails I am sending to you are being returned "unknown address"

The world is insane. My email is  johnmcc6@gmail .com I just tried to reply to your last message and got the mail demon could not findthai visa adrees when i hit reply