Windows 10 to Windows 11, what will happen?

JeffersLos

I have a genuine Windows 10.

The notification bar now has a blue symbol on it stating "Upgrade to Windows 11 is now ready for your PC".

What happens to my programs and files if I upgrade, will it be akin to starting fresh with a new PC - it has no files and no programs installed, and I need to install the programs and copy or download the files again?

Or is everything still in place and it is only a sort of cosmetic change?

TIA.

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

No you will not loose anything at all. It is only the operating system that is replaced. I've done this twice over the years. Originally from XP to Win 7, then on my next computer from Win 7 to Win 10. There's never been a hitch.

But just to be wise, do back up your important stuff first. Just in case!

I now have a new computer with Win 11 installed and I'm very pleased with it.

Okay thanks.

I don't know my Windows 10 Product Key, I presume this won't be an issue? 

If you upgrade the only thing will change is not your files but the operating system and maybe a few new add-ons and a few of the old ones relocated or removed. Having said that I would recommend you back up all your data before upgrading just in case

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Okay thanks.

If your computer came with a factory installed operating system, the you won't need, or even have a product key. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

No you will not loose anything at all. It is only the operating system that is replaced. I've done this twice over the years. Originally from XP to Win 7, then on my next computer from Win 7 to Win 10. There's never been a hitch.

But just to be wise, do back up your important stuff first. Just in case!

I now have a new computer with Win 11 installed and I'm very pleased with it.

is it easy to use, similar layout as the Win10 or is it confusing to handle....I received the notification to upgrade but have it on hold as read about some drawbacks about Edge and it taking over the computer as the main file extension handler

• Like 2

I took the plunge about a month ago and updated Win 10 Pro to Win 11 on my Intel NUC. upgrade was smooth as silk and no issues so far but I don't really use the box so not sure if there are any hidden dangers lurking around.

they've made File Manager a bit less keyboard-friendly but that's to be expected given that most people are obsessed with using the mouse for some reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

Okay thanks.

My suggestion is that if you are running Windows 10 Home; is to upgrade to Pro before you upgrade to 11.

With keys from as little as under 100 baht, it's a 'no brainer'.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Which processor do you have ? Intel 8 th generation or more ? 

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10105 CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.82 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

36 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

My suggestion is that if you are running Windows 10 Home; is to upgrade to Pro before you upgrade to 11.

With keys from as little as under 100 baht, it's a 'no brainer'.

Hi Bruno...Where can I get a Product key for Pro @ 100 Thb please?

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

is it easy to use, similar layout as the Win10 or is it confusing to handle....I received the notification to upgrade but have it on hold as read about some drawbacks about Edge and it taking over the computer as the main file extension handler

I tried it and hated it. Absolutely hated 11, so went back to 10. Then a few months later I thought maybe I should give it another try, so I did, and absolutely hated it. So went back to 10. I'm very happy with 10. It does everything I want and I know where everything is. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grain said:

I tried it and hated it. Absolutely hated 11, so went back to 10. Then a few months later I thought maybe I should give it another try, so I did, and absolutely hated it. So went back to 10. I'm very happy with 10. It does everything I want and I know where everything is. 

Good to know it's easy to switch back, if wanted. Thanks. 

I upgraded three weeks after w11 dropped. It has been smooth / Asus laptop. The security is very annoying, need for email logins, email for Store (I just continue to dl outside Store). Most annoying is loss of drag drop on taskbar and I really detest the lame start menu.

Upgrade and tweak it out.

Unless you're waiting for w12 why stick around with 10? MSFT gonna force it on you one way or another.

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Hi Bruno...Where can I get a Product key for Pro @ 100 Thb please?

Easy for you to run a search via Shopee or Google.

For example, this one is a little bit more, though you can find cheaper: https://shopee.co.th/Windows-10-Pro-คีย์ของแท้-100--????Free-ค่าส่ง????-i.225849799.9357876750

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, how do I do this?

There are two options. Ask the vendor once your purchase is completed. One or the other will work.

First option: You buy the key and then:

spacer.png

Then follow the prompts; it will upgrade and activate. Simple.

Second option: Buy the key.

You then disconnect from the Internet and enter the generic key that changes the edition to Professional: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T. It's the official Microsoft key; nothing dodgy about it.

Then follow the prompts to upgrade. Once the upgrade is complete, you can use the new key to activate your newly upgraded install.

The vendor should know what kind of key and which option will work.

But usually you would use the second option if you have a strange edition of Windows 10; such as Windows 10 Home Single Language.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, TheScience said:

. . . why stick around with 10? MSFT gonna force it on you one way or another.

No, just as M'soft isn't forcing anyone to upgrade XP or 7. But it will certainly try to scare you into Win 11. I'm not scared.????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grain said:

So went back to 10. I'm very happy with 10. It does everything I want and I know where everything is. 

Yes, but Win 10 is finished end of 2025 ; I am very happy witn Win 10, too

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

but in case one do need to know the key as an emergency,

Press Windows sign key and X and Click Command Prompt ADMINISTRATOR at the command prompt type

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey hit Enter and your windows key will show then just copy and/or save

Before doing this, first check the activation setting, If that says 'Windows is activated using a digital license' then the key is not stored on the system. Doesn't matter as any upgrade will activate automatically in this case.

That's why you can change a hard drive, install windows and it will activate without having the key.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheScience said:

I upgraded three weeks after w11 dropped. It has been smooth / Asus laptop. The security is very annoying, need for email logins, email for Store (I just continue to dl outside Store). Most annoying is loss of drag drop on taskbar and I really detest the lame start menu.

Upgrade and tweak it out.

Unless you're waiting for w12 why stick around with 10? MSFT gonna force it on you one way or another.

You can bypass those logins when running a clean install: https://beebom.com/how-create-local-account-windows-11/

• Like 2

Just now, JeffersLos said:

Thank you for the replies.

Just to note, I found and saved the product key using CMD has suggested.

Thanks.

But it's for Windows 10 Home whatever edition. So if you upgrade tp Pro, it's not needed nor necessary.

34 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

But it's for Windows 10 Home whatever edition. So if you upgrade tp Pro, it's not needed nor necessary.

After researching.

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/windows-10-home-vs-windows-10-pro.html

I neither need nor want any of the extras that 10 Pro has, so will stick with Home until upgrading to 11, thanks. 

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

You can bypass those logins when running a clean install: https://beebom.com/how-create-local-account-windows-11/

Yeah, I was able to create additional accounts without email but had read that door is closing.

It's a means of tracking which I resent. Moreover, I'm the only one using my laptop and that's much the case for all I'd imagine. One stupid email address is plenty.

I'm also hating on MSFT move to subscription baed software. I have office 2019. Next laptop will be Linux.

After researching.

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/windows-10-home-vs-windows-10-pro.html

I neither need nor want any of the extras that 10 Pro has, so will stick with Home until upgrading to 11, thanks. 

Up to you...as they say.  The point is to upgrade to Pro so that when you upgrade you get Windows 11 Pro.....as opposed to Home.

Does that mean that you aren't going to bother with the upgrade to 11? 

For the sake of a few baht, go for Pro if you do ???? You won't need the Extras...until you need them. Windows Sandbox as an example.

Edited by Bruno123