How to open account in The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) Abroad

Hi, need some advice on how to open an account in SET? This with the condition that presently I live abroad and only have Thailand bank account. I used to live in Thailand before so I have a local bank account there under my name. Thanks

AFAIK all brokerages require a long term visa for foreigners.  I think you're either going to have to open a brokerage account outside Thailand which allows access to the SET (there aren't many of these), or stick to buying mutual funds from your bank's asset management arm.

Alternatively, you could buy a Thailand ETF such as iShares MSCI Thailand.

28 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Investing in Thai stocks?  Why not just get cash and throw it out the window of your car, wouldn't that be easier? 

Moronic comment.  Thai stocks are for companies in Thailand who (generally speaking) earn most of their income in Baht.  Invest in any other country and you're instantly faced with foreign exchange risk, and FX rates can (and often do) vary by 30% in a year.  For an investor whose expenses are in Baht, they are a pretty good investment (provided, of course, that one picks the right stocks).

I don't invest in individual stocks, but I do invest in Thai mutual funds.  Tisco Strategic A has returned an annualised 18.93% per year over the last three years.  Can't imagine why anybody would be unhappy with such performance.  (The 10 year annualised performance figure is 11.24% - still pretty good.)

21 hours ago, Oxx said:

AFAIK all brokerages require a long term visa for foreigners.  I think you're either going to have to open a brokerage account outside Thailand which allows access to the SET (there aren't many of these), or stick to buying mutual funds from your bank's asset management arm.

Alternatively, you could buy a Thailand ETF such as iShares MSCI Thailand.

Thanks for your info. Can you advice some brokerage accounts outside Thailand that allows access to SET? I am considering this mutual funds too, thanks for it.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:51 AM, silenzo said:

I used to live in Thailand before so I have a local bank account there under my name. Thanks

Which bank?

I have Kasikorn account which allows me to buys shares on SET online through K-Cyber. Had to go into a branch to set it up though.(filling and signing forms etc) So if you are planning a trip any time soon, perhaps you could do that

2 hours ago, silenzo said:

Can you advice some brokerage accounts outside Thailand that allows access to SET?

Offhand, I can think of Monex Boom and Phillip Securities.  However, I don't know whether you'll be able to open an account with either of them.

3 hours ago, sidgy said:

Which bank?

I have Kasikorn account which allows me to buys shares on SET online through K-Cyber. Had to go into a branch to set it up though.(filling and signing forms etc) So if you are planning a trip any time soon, perhaps you could do that

I am using SCB. Good to know Kasikorn has this. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Offhand, I can think of Monex Boom and Phillip Securities.  However, I don't know whether you'll be able to open an account with either of them.

Thanks for info. I'll seek some information from both to this kind of request.

23 hours ago, Oxx said:

.  Thai stocks are for companies in Thailand who (generally speaking) earn most of their income in Baht. 

Oxx, 

The stock market in any country is "risky" Even heavily regulated countries like the USA get the fraud like Enron, World Com, Tyco, and of course Bernie Maddoff And this is a country that requires ongoing audited filings with the SEC. 

And you believe that somehow Thai companies are to be trusted?  Sorry the oversight here is at best faulty and more likely non-existent or fraudulent.  

21 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

The stock market in any country is "risky" Even heavily regulated countries like the USA get the fraud like Enron, World Com, Tyco, and of course Bernie Maddoff And this is a country that requires ongoing audited filings with the SEC. 

Stock markets are supposed to be risky.  One accepts those risks in the hope of superior returns.

The failure of individual companies simply underlines the importance of investing in a diversified portfolio of companies, so the failure of any one doesn't have a major impact upon one's wealth.

The market regulation of Thai companies is comparable to that of most developed markets, with audits and filings of returns.  The auditors are often (if not usually) familiar names.  You can see a list of authorised auditors at https://market.sec.or.th/public/orap/AUDITOR01.aspx?lang=en .  One of the major problems, however, as I see it, is companies being run for the benefit of individual families, rather than for the benefit of all shareholders.  Before investing one needs to do one's due diligence.  Incidentally, the SET publishes the names of the largest shareholders in each company on its website.  This can be very helpful.  I don't believe the London Stock Exchange does anything similar.  Don't know about American exchanges.

But returning to risk, foreign exchange risk far outweighs the risk of the odd company failing here and there.  That's why for someone living in Thailand and intending to stay here, Thai stocks are avery good option to provide for the future.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Stock markets are supposed to be risky. 

Stock market are suppose to by "risky" not fraudulent or manipulated.  As previously stated, the USA is the most regulated market and yet there is fraud even with audits by reputable CPA firms.  I can not envision the lack of transperency at the very least and outright fraud that must be present in the Thai market.