Four dead as pick-up slams into power pole in Chanthaburi - family on way home from seaside trip

webfact

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A seaside family trip to the sea ended in tragedy yesterday when a pick-up slammed into a roadside tree in Makham district of Chanthaburi in eastern Thailand.

Rescue services attended the scene on Route 319 by the entry to Wat Chaman.

Thai Rath said that initially there were 7 injuries with four trapped and unconscious in the main cab of the pick-up.

Four were pronounced dead at Makham Hospital - two women and two children, a boy and a girl. 

They were on their way home to Doi Dao district after a Songkran trip to the coast. 

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 6

RIP, In broad day light would love to know what level of competence was at the wheel you have to go off the road to hit it.

These types of crashes when happen in my country are usually late night single occupancy suicides.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

What annoys me intensely is that they don't modify their driving with the kids in the back, but actually drive more recklessly......arrggghhh.

I didn't think it possible for the Thai male pick-up driver to drive more recklessly then they do already.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Wife was dropped off last night after a songkran party in the village........the back of the truck had seven or eight teenagers in it, all well oiled,......and I imagine the driver was probably in no fit state ........they just don't care/don't think.

Good thing none of them tried to relieve themselves over the edge of the truck.

Actually they probably did but just got lucky.

You got close : they don't care to think or think to care.

Edited by RocketDog
  • Haha 1

I read an article a few months ago that 70% of accidents in Thailand involved a pickup....Does anyone know if this is true.....The driving habits of some of the drivers are deplorable......"Hey Look at Me.....I have a pickup with lots of Power " attitude....I call it the small penis syndrome

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phuket Stan said:

I read an article a few months ago that 70% of accidents in Thailand involved a pickup....Does anyone know if this is true.....The driving habits of some of the drivers are deplorable......"Hey Look at Me.....I have a pickup with lots of Power " attitude....I call it the small penis syndrome

I call it the lack of quality brain cells syndrome.

• Like 2

Not to sound insensitive, as this was quite tragic. But, there are only a few ways that a vehicle ends up wrapped around either a pole or a tree, both of which are very unforgiving. 

1. The driver was simply not paying attention to the task at hand. 

2. Bad weather conditions. Regardless, vigilance must be maintained in proportion to your speed and the road conditions. 

3. Excessive speed, reckless driving, poor driving skills, or drunk driving. 

There is always the chance of a front tire blowout, or a mechanical failure. But, those are more remote. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Phuket Stan said:

i read somewhere that after the usa thailand has the largest ownership of pick ups, not sure why they are so popular, few people actually need a pick up. anyway, i digress, if a large percentage of  drivers own pick ups then is follows a large number may well be involved in accidents,

21 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Wife was dropped off last night after a songkran party in the village........the back of the truck had seven or eight teenagers in it, all well oiled,......and I imagine the driver was probably in no fit state ........they just don't care/don't think.

Without knowing the exact cause, it seems that it was again a lack of responsibility.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If discounting motorcycles....  and counting vehicles with 4 wheels or more, I would believe that 70% of the accidents involve pick-ups for a number of reasons (which people may or may not like or agree with).... 

- More pickups outside of the city

- Pickups less stable at cruising speed

- More cars in the city - slower speeds = less cars in accidents

- More pickups outside of the city = more pickups going faster, more accidents

- Darker roads outside of the city = more pickups in night time accidents

- More educated people in cities than countryside = more poorly educated people in pickups

- Further to drive to bars etc in country = more people drink driving for further distances in pickups

Like it or not... the ‘assumption’ (because thats all it really is) - is that there are more pickups driving faster in the countryside by people who are less educated than those driving cars in the city, by people who have further to drive, roads are darker at night, they drive further while drunk etc  and they are driving cars which are inherently less stable than cars at speed and on wet roads.

Some, all or a combination of individual facets of the above may lend to the theory that more pickups are involved in accidents than in cars. 

-------

When driving a car & riding a motorcycle, only in the day time, carefully, never speeding, never drunk, never jumping lights or overtaking dangerously etc... vastly reduces (but never removes) our risk of being involved in an accident compared to what the national road stats may suggest. 

My Wife has had quite a few accidents in the past...  And far fewer since we have been married. 

She now doesn’t use her phone while driving, doesn’t drive while drunk - its incredible the difference those two things have made to her ‘accident stats’ (from something in the region of an accident per year, to none in 10 years !).

I call it the small penis syndrome..........100% spot on

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not to sound insensitive, as this was quite tragic. But, there are only a few ways that a vehicle ends up wrapped around either a pole or a tree, both of which are very unforgiving. 

1. The driver was simply not paying attention to the task at hand. 

2. Bad weather conditions. Regardless, vigilance must be maintained in proportion to your speed and the road conditions. 

3. Excessive speed, reckless driving, poor driving skills, or drunk driving. 

There is always the chance of a front tire blowout, or a mechanical failure. But, those are more remote. 

A few of the above could be remedied by knowing

How do I regain control in my car?

To regain control of your car, do the following:

Shift gear to neutral: Even if you've lost control of the car, power is still being sent to the wheels. ...

Steer the way you skid: This essentially means that you should try to steer your car in the direction the back of your car is going to.

In fact the above skill should be  practiced and incorporated into license testing 

When your life is on the line you'll wish you knew how to save it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pokerface1 said:

Shift gear to neutral: Even if you've lost control of the car, power is still being sent to the wheels. ...

Steer the way you skid: This essentially means that you should try to steer your car in the direction the back of your car is going to.

In fact the above skill should be  practiced and incorporated into license testing 

All totally superfluous if you have an amulet of course. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

You are talking about skill, knowledge, smarts and being prepared. None of which this simpleton was or is. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Phuket Stan said:

read an article a few months ago that 70% of accidents in Thailand involved a pickup

I bet that in the village more than 70% of four wheelers are so called pickups.

So called because the majority of them is not used for work/business but for person transport.

All thanks to the stupid tax/subsidy policy.

Most metal for the money. Clog narrow city roads with the oversized vehicles. Drivers fighting to maneuver them.

Buying with the least possible security features making them more risky on wet roads etc 

Edited by KhunBENQ

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

About the worst thing you could do. Who ever taught you that ? Change down to 1st and use power to steer out of it.

oh yes I've tried that technique as well but prefer not to blow up the gear box again lol