Hi Speed Internet Options

Jonny B

I recently paid for and installed a phone line (total cost about 6000 baht) with TOT for dial up internet as where i live they do not have adsl. Now i have just found Hutch have something called Hutch Mobile Broadband, which apparently isnt all that new, simply plug a card into the usb port and you have broadband internet connection. They have a special on it for this month of 12 500 baht including 1 year unlimited connection.

Is there anybody on here who has bought this here in thailand or currently uses this system? how quick is it really? any information you can provide would be appreciated.

thanks

Hutch uses the cdma 1X system, allowing speeds up to 144 kbps..

Expect on average about half that speed.

Another option is an Edge capable GPRS modem. There USB and PCMCIA models on the market, or you can use your mobile phone as a modem.

Both Dtac and AIS offer this on their pre-paid sim cards, and is quite cheap. Most big cities have Edge capable cells, enabling speeds of up to 238kbps, again practically expect half of that speed.

GPRS and Edge is nationwide, Hutch only operates in a few provinces. With Hutch you also need a workpermit to subscribe (or a Thai person)

You really can't call it high speed internet, although it is faster then dial-up. The biggest drawback is in the fact the the data comes in bursts, so it's close to impossible to use VOIP or listen to streaming radio, even at a low bitrate.

This is a result of the fact that both systems are mobile phone networks, where priority is always given to voice calls. When there's a lot of people calling in your area, internet speed slows, or even stops altogether!

Dial up is slow, but at least it's kind of stable...

In the area's not served by Hutch, CAT is rolling out the CDMA EV-DO network, with download speeds of up to 1024 kbps, but most people report more like 300 kbps. Only available with a PCMCIA aircard...

Hutch uses the cdma 1X system, allowing speeds up to 144 kbps..

Expect on average about half that speed.

Another option is an Edge capable GPRS modem. There USB and PCMCIA models on the market, or you can use your mobile phone as a modem.

Both Dtac and AIS offer this on their pre-paid sim cards, and is quite cheap. Most big cities have Edge capable cells, enabling speeds of up to 238kbps, again practically expect half of that speed.

GPRS and Edge is nationwide, Hutch only operates in a few provinces. With Hutch you also need a workpermit to subscribe (or a Thai person)

You really can't call it high speed internet, although it is faster then dial-up. The biggest drawback is in the fact the the data comes in bursts, so it's close to impossible to use VOIP or listen to streaming radio, even at a low bitrate.

This is a result of the fact that both systems are mobile phone networks, where priority is always given to voice calls. When there's a lot of people calling in your area, internet speed slows, or even stops altogether!

Dial up is slow, but at least it's kind of stable...

In the area's not served by Hutch, CAT is rolling out the CDMA EV-DO network, with download speeds of up to 1024 kbps, but most people report more like 300 kbps. Only available with a PCMCIA aircard...

thanks alot for that monty, i dont have much knowledge about this sort of stuff but will search some of that stuff you said. So in summary you would say the hutch system is not worth it. Do you mean the CAT system can only be used in the areas not serviced my Hutch?

thanks again for taking the timeto help mate

Correct on the Hutch situation.

They basically use the same network type (CDMA). Cat services some 50 odd provinces and Hutch the remaining 20 something provinces (mainly central and East Thailand).

For voice calls Cat and Hutch have roaming agreements, so a phone with either provider has pretty good coverage nationwide.

However for data connections no roaming is possible. No internet with a hutch sim when in a CAT area and vice versa.

Only CAT seems to be aggressively upgrading to the cdma ev-do system, whereas Hutch is sticking with the older version for now.

ah k monty, fair enough, do you know what sort of speed adsl from TOT normally delivers. they have it one side of the main road where i live but not mine, bugger. i guess its prob better to stick with dial up then hey and hopefully they set up adsl here soon.

thanks for ur help

I've found the most reasonably priced with high speed, at least what Thailand calls high speed adsl is from TT&T. TOT really sucks, at least in Pattaya anyway. I have TT&T and get 400 + kps most of the time. 790 a month and 1900 to connect with a one year contract. Free telephone and router.

Barry

You should also consider if the reception of the cell service of each provider... If you are going to use the for a desktop in your home you need to make sure the reception is good otherwise the speed will diminish greatly - most likely below the speed of your dialup...

Where can I get this?

Is it available in Bkk and how much per month?

I've had good luck with Island Technology, a broadband company out of Singapore. They ride my TOT line but somehow manage to be MUCH more reliable. Their tech staff is great. English speaking and very quick to solve your problems. Unheard of!!!

Has anyone had any experience with a sattelite provider called IP star?