Boat rules in Thailand

Judging by the standard of crew on the speed boats to Samed - none ????

I passed mine when I had a place in Marbella. 

Funny story we got boarded by the Spanish Police on the second day as a windsurfer was lost - they jumped on the boat in the marina and just pointed out. The instructor was English and his Spanish was cr*p. We found him and dragged his windsurfer back - way, way out. Even got in the paper.

I think it's a bit like driving a car - if you can touch anything you can do it.

When I get on any boat here I ensure the wife and I have life vests on and I like to see what the guys doing.

Edited by Pmbkk

23 minutes ago, Robert Almgren said:

Are you aloud to go out and fishing in your own private boat? 
Where can I get a boat license if I need one? 

Have you talked with your local amphur or not?

20 hours ago, Robert Almgren said:

Are you aloud to go out and fishing in your own private boat? 
Where can I get a boat license if I need one? 

I have my own boat.  I go out most day and often all night during dry season (which is coming to an end now).  Boat is not registered in any way.  Neither are any of the boats in the small village here.  I catch most reef and pelagic species. Just in the last few days I caught a 9kg barracuda and a 5kg queenfish.  I fish with a sabiki jig to catch live bait and then balloon fish at a depth of about 3 to 4 meters depending on the tide.

Fishing (and the particularly the squid fishing) is the best I have seen this year in over a decade.  Bumper catches.  Between my catches and the fruit a veges from our two little farms we are all but self sufficient.  We have a good big freezer but it get empty well before the end of the wet season.

On 4/20/2022 at 4:12 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I got busted for scraping the barnacles off my dinghy!

Why?  Did they claim it was prohibited employment?  I wouldn't have accepted that.  I had a visitation from the local plod because I was painting my garden wall.  They wanted an on the spot 'fine'.  I told them that I did not believe that I was carrying out 'employment' - it was DIY and I'd be prepared to make my case in court. Had I been painting my neighbour's wall they might have had a case - they drove off.

I've heard these stories before and I very much doubt that most cases of the cases I've heard of would stand up in court. The prohibited employment lists are referring to just that - employment, paid or unpaid. I don't think its in keeping with the spirit of the law to prosecute someone for carrying out DIY - where would you draw the line?  Would putting some air in your tyres at a service station be the job of a tyre shop? 

In most cases I think its obvious why these 'fines' have been levied and I'd take a guess that there's either no record of the 'offence' at the police station or that the 'fine' recorded is not the same amount as the 'fine' paid.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Why?  Did they claim it was prohibited employment?  I wouldn't have accepted that.  I had a visitation from the local plod because I was painting my garden wall.  They wanted an on the spot 'fine'.  I told them that I did not believe that I was carrying out 'employment' - it was DIY and I'd be prepared to make my case in court. Had I been painting my neighbour's wall they might have had a case - they drove off.

I've heard these stories before and I very much doubt that most cases of the cases I've heard of would stand up in court. The prohibited employment lists are referring to just that - employment, paid or unpaid. I don't think its in keeping with the spirit of the law to prosecute someone for carrying out DIY - where would you draw the line?  Would putting some air in your tyres at a service station be the job of a tyre shop? 

In most cases I think its obvious why these 'fines' have been levied and I'd take a guess that there's either no record of the 'offence' at the police station or that the 'fine' recorded is not the same amount as the 'fine' paid.

it was a joke....referring to the frank n beans.....carry on

• Haha 1