An American t-shirt

Recently I ran into a problem here in Thailand, one that I have never come across before and am stuck on how to solve it. Here is what happened. I have a pizza joint out in the boonies of Phitsanulok and one of my regular customers is a 19-year-old kid. Every time he shows up, he is wearing an American t-shirt of some sort.  When I mentioned this, he replied “I’m half American.” I then asked him if he had ever visited the states and his reply was “I want to, but I can’t.” Even though we were busy, I sat down with this young man and listened to his story.

His biological Thai mother became pregnant by an American working as an English teacher in a Thai government school. Shortly thereafter, the father left and the mother allowed her son to be adopted by a Thai-Chinese family she knew. This young man has never met his dad and doesn’t want anything other than his dad’s birth certificate in order to get American citizenship.

Normally, I keep my nose out of other people’s business, but I opened my big mouth and said I would help. But first, I wanted to make certain the boy was telling the truth. Later via email he sent his Thai birth certificate which showed that his father is C**** ******* (age 34) and from America. He also sent some old photos his biological mother had saved and he looks exactly like his father. The resemblance is uncanny.

To make a long story short, I found the father on FB and sent a polite message explaining the situation. He never replied and about a week later the account was deleted. What is truly disgusting about this entire matter is that the father is a governmental official at a US embassy in a country that borders Thailand. Suggestions?

If his goal is to acquire US citizenship, what will he want to do with it?   Get a U.S. passport and go to the U.S. to possibly work?    In any event he'll need a lawyer.  Not sure if that ship has sailed since he is already over 18.  Here is a link with excerpt as a basic starting point.

Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad (state.gov)

A person born abroad out-of-wedlock on or after November 14, 1986 to a U.S. citizen father and an alien mother may acquire U.S. citizenship under 301(g) of the INA, as made applicable by the “new” Section 309(a) of the INA, if:

1. A blood relationship between the person and the father is established by clear and convincing evidence.
  2. The father was a U.S. citizen at the time of the person’s birth;
  3. The father (unless deceased) has agreed in writing to provide financial support for the person until he or she reaches the age of 18 years; and
  4. While the person is under the age of 18 years:
    • the person is legitimated under the law of his/her residence or domicile, or
    • the father acknowledges paternity of the person in writing under oath, or
    • the paternity of the person is established by adjudication of a competent court.

If the child was born abroad out-of-wedlock on or after November 14, 1986 to a U.S. citizen father who satisfies the requirements of the “new” INA 309(a) as listed above, the child will acquire U.S. citizenship if the U.S. citizen father was physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years prior to the person’s birth, including at least two of which were after turning age 14.

Please note: Persons born between November 15, 1968 and November 13, 1971 may derive U.S. citizenship under either the “new” INA 309(a) and 301, as described above, or the “old” INA 309(a) and 301.)

As a side note that is a <deleted>ty thing for the bio-dad to do.  Sounds like he has a has a good professional position though, so maybe if approached agian with an assurance that the boy's goal is simply to acquire U.S. citizenship and not to seek back child support or anything like that, and that all you're asking for is cooperation for just that purpose, maybe he will reconsider.  

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you know the man's name, what job he has, and which embassy he's working at now, in the adjoining country. 

I'd send a letter directly to the Ambassador at that embassy. Explain you've reached out directly to the person via Facebook, but that contact was ignored, and the account was closed a week later. 

Tell the Ambassador that you are reaching out to them because you truly have no other means of making contact with this person. It's the only way you have to begin a dialogue that will encourage this absentee father to own up to his long-ignored responsibilities. 

The Ambassador, no doubt, will consider this issue to be well beneath him! It's exactly the kind of situation for which he has subordinates, subordinates he can delegate things to! 

"I shouldn't have to deal with this! Here, take care of it!" 

(It's the same idea as complaining to the President or CEO of a company you've had a bad experience with. They re absolutely the WRONG PERSON to be dealing with this! But when they pass it down the chain of command to the person who IS the right person......... it now has a ton of weight behind it! ???????????? Something WILL get done!) 

Of course, the Ambassador is STILL just a "middle manager!" He or she works for Higher-ups in the State Department. 

So it's also worth mentioning, "I'd hate to have to take this directly to the State Department........." 

????????????

Cheers and Good Luck! 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, you lost me with your thread title, what is an "American T-shirt"?

On 4/22/2022 at 7:08 AM, George Bowman said:

Suggestions?

Cease and desist.

I know you want to be the hero, but in the end you will only make the situation worse.

• Like 1