Lovebirds

I recently bought 2 lovebirds from a shop. They are finally calm in their cage at my home. I'd like to teach them to perch on my finger, and allow me to touch them. They spent a lot of time in a large cage with other birds in a noisy shop. Any suggestions for me?

2BirdsA (2).jpg

Edited by ehs818
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Birds should not be in cages in my opinion, and you can at least build them a large home with trees, running water, plants, stones and other suitable arrangements for the specie. 

I just hate to see birds in cages, and just another horrible things we humans do to animals. 

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Wife told me the other day after visiting her father that he caught two birds and is building them a big cage and she is going to take some wire we have laying around in the shed, I said no your not, she said why, and my reply was, only if he is going to move into the cage and lets the birds go, to her reply being, this is what Thai's do and my reply was, doesn't make it right, does it.

I then went on to say, seriously tell him I said to live in the cage, I will feed him and visit him daily to amuse myself, I want to see how he responds to his new environment, she went silent, didn't raise the matter again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Birds should not be in cages in my opinion, and you can at least build them a large home with trees, running water, plants, stones and other suitable arrangements for the specie. 

I just hate to see birds in cages, and just another horrible things we humans do to animals. 

My wifes nephew and gf moved into my estate, they had 2 cats and a small dog. They just rented a room before and worked all day.

The little dog honestly thought it was a cat, it treated them both as HIS badies, very protective. It took some time for him to 1. act like a dog and 2. get used to the outside world, people etc. I have 3 rai of land and 4 other dogs.

This small dog is now part of the pack, nephew and niece moved out, i kept all the animals.

Thais ( and others ) often have animals just for show, never train them, never look after them properly.....sad!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll remove the sunflower seeds from their mix and put some into my hand which I'll put inside the cage. Hopefully they'll come for those treats. They do love those in the shell (unsalted of course), plus an occasional peanut. They love beans too, and watermelon rind. I hope they come around soon. I've had them about a month and would like to let them fly around my house too!

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered that they LOVE popcorn. No oil or salt, just right out of the microwave. Slow progress, and now each of them has been out of the cage and flown around the house a bit. They are so loveable!

• 2 weeks later...

This coming week will be 2 months that I've had my 2 cuties. They fly around the (big) room, love to listen to music AND a Youtube of other lovebirds chirping. And they let me come very close to them while then sit on the shelves above my desk. But they still won't let me touch or hold them, and certainly they are not ready to perch on my finger. But I'm a patient guy and appreciate the progress made so far. Both of them have independently got stuck in very small places and I had to rescue them. (In between the wall space behind the fridge, another narrow space next to the kitchen cabinets. I had to cut thru the wall, and remove some paneling for the other rescue). Both birds are OK but I sort of expected gratitude and trust from each of them. Clearly they don't think like humans! What a surprise, right? Hahahah.... They are cute and I'm getting very attached to them!!! Thanks for every ones feedback.