Wife surrendered child custody to father

jonnyscot

A number of years back due to work commitments my wife gave up parental rights for her daughter to her ex husband  in the courts, the daughter stays with her grandmother in the north whilst the ex husband his wife and their 2 children live in Bangkok, 

as I understand from the document from the courts granted as agreed by both parties the parental rights were given to the husband and not the grandmother, my wife has kept in continual contact with her daughter with the holiday visit every year.

Her daughter is now 18 years old and readying to go to university, however the wife’s ex husbands wife will not provide funding to help this, since I see over recent years my wife and her daughter becoming more closer as she gets older, I have offered to help fund her university costs on condition that my wife’s daughter can be allowed to spend more time with my wife, her ex husband is non to pleased about this, and seems to be blocking the options for his daughter, incidentally the visits of the father to his daughter are similar to my wife again as he has also another family with children from his new wife to take care of.

I just wonder whether there are any legal options that can be followed if the ex husband still refuses his daughter the opportunity of a better education, specifically since as I understand it’s the husband who has the parental rights and not a third party (grandparents). 
really want to avoid any issues but just want to see mother and daughter happy and to give her a chance of university education ?

Edited by jonnyscot

If he has power of administration there is pretty much nothing you can do. BUT, there is nothing stopping you paying her education bills if that's what you choose to do. The university doesn't care where the money comes from. What is it beyond that you're trying to achieve?

Parents are legally obliged to be 'reasonable' in the application of their parental rights. It's murky as to whether it is 'reasonable' they deny their child attendance to superior tertiary education.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jonnyscot said:

Her daughter is now 18 years old and readying to go to university,

The child is 18 and is now an adult as far a the age of consent, although the full age of majority is 20 in Thailand  The father doesn't have a lot of say.
Assist the kid with Uni, buy her a vehicle and arrange visits all you wish.  The father has no input regarding consenting adults visiting one another, nor what direction his now adult daughter wishes to take in her life.  Well, unless he's a jerk.

You're in a gray zone between 18 and 20.  Be patient.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

Not sure how long you have been with your wife but I have seen a lot of this sort of thing, blokes trying to help some woman with a sad tale of woe, which often is a very different version to reality. Been sucked in myself. I would wonder what was the reason she gave up her parental rights and why the guy is so keen to keep her away from the daughter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonnyscot said:

I just wonder whether there are any legal options that can be followed if the ex husband still refuses his daughter the opportunity of a better education

Likely you can pay him for that privilege. I guess that is not what you want but it's an option.

I know one farang with kids (I think below 10 years old) who paid the mother millions so that he has the custody. I asked him how he arranged that and he told me that was done with a judge. He paid in front of the judge and now he is in charge. TiT.

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Not sure how long you have been with your wife but I have seen a lot of this sort of thing, blokes trying to help some woman with a sad tale of woe, which often is a very different version to reality. Been sucked in myself. I would wonder what was the reason she gave up her parental rights and why the guy is so keen to keep her away from the daughter

I’ve been living in thailand long enough to agree in part with you, I can assure you common sense prevails in this instance, if you wonder why she gave up her parental rights you will see the answer to that in the very first line of my post, although I personally feel her giving up parental rights due to work commitments was extreme and she’d have been better with a mutual agreement, but what’s done is done,  just looking at whether there are options, my initial thought is to cover the uni costs and after 2 years of the 4 year uni program the daughter can then fully make up her own mind as to where or who she wishes to spend time with,