Dog From Uk To Thailand

Hi, I'm new, been reading the thread on pets into Thailand but still confused. We're retiring to Thailand early August and bringing our dog with us, we'll be using a pet transport company who arrange everything for us but they choose the flight which will undoutably be BA. The chances of us getting on a BA flight at short notice is minimal. Will our dog arrive on the luggage carousel or delivered into a cargo area and if we're not on the same flight how do we go about collecting her if on the luggage carousel. We do hope to arrange a flight for ourselves that will arrive a few hours before her flight but what if we cannot.

Hi, I'm new, been reading the thread on pets into Thailand but still confused. We're retiring to Thailand early August and bringing our dog with us, we'll be using a pet transport company who arrange everything for us but they choose the flight which will undoutably be BA. The chances of us getting on a BA flight at short notice is minimal. Will our dog arrive on the luggage carousel or delivered into a cargo area and if we're not on the same flight how do we go about collecting her if on the luggage carousel. We do hope to arrange a flight for ourselves that will arrive a few hours before her flight but what if we cannot.

May I ask, why on earth would you put your dog through such stress? You may well not be able to read the dogs mind, but what a ludicrous thought! Leave him/her at home! :o

May I ask, why on earth would you put your dog through such stress? You may well not be able to read the dogs mind, but what a ludicrous thought! Leave him/her at home! :o

You sound a bit green (naieve).  Do you really think a dog would be put with othere

luggage on the carousel - have you ever seen such a thing?

Anyhow, a friend of mine brought his dog to Thailand a few years ago and it took about 6 weeks to get the dog.  It had to go through some form of quarintine - i think.

It cost about 1000 pounds.  Anyway the dog died soon after - lot of new germs etc to

deal with - you cant stop a dog licking where it shouldnt.  A UK dog wouldnt have the immunity to deal with such a bombardment of new bacterias and diseases etc

I know you must love the dog but it may be kinder to find him a good home back home.

Oh my god!! are you sure the dog belongs to you!! Keep taking plenty of water with the pills and they might work.!!! I think the dog should arrive in first and you in the cargo bay!!

Thailand need you.

Regards

johnmartin

Oh my god!! are you sure the dog belongs to you!! Keep taking plenty of water with the pills and they might work.!!! I think the dog should arrive in first and you in the cargo bay!!

Thailand need you.

Regards

johnmartin

"Will our dog arrive on the luggage carousel"

I reckon she would, wagging tail and wishing she'd never met you!

You could always try a 'Little Britain' sketch, " LOOK INTO MY EYES, MY EYES, MY EYES, 123 YR UNDER"

"WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH AND PROMISE WE WON'T ABANDON YOU AS A STRAY, SHOULD WE DISAPPEAR BACK TO SHITESVILLE BE ASSURED STREET LIFE CAN BE GOOD"

Thanks lads for the kind advice, i always suspected that if i politely asked a sensible question I'd get the dogs abuse in replies, won't bother anyone again.

Sorry Poppysdad, i think people have been a bit harsh (including me) in there advice.

But i somehow get the feeling that the dog is called poppy and your a bit of a softy when it comes to your little poppy.

However, think of the hardship you would put your little poppy through.  There is nothing wrong in loving your dog - but chances of survival arnt great for little poppy.

Good luck if you go ahead - and i hope you get some positive advice :o

Thanks lads for the kind advice, i always suspected that if i politely asked a sensible question I'd get the dogs abuse in replies, won't bother anyone again.

"LOOK INTO MY EYES, MY EYES ,MY EYES, 123 yr under.

Thank God for that, no more idiotic stupid harming mutt posts!

Do you stress when flying? Or get shittered on the free piss and black out 'till a hostess wakes you up the other end?

If you "love your dog" sit in the hold, with your dog for 14 hours.Do it :o

"LOOK INTO MY EYES, MY EYES ,MY EYES, 123 yr under.

Thank God for that, no more idiotic stupid harming mutt posts!

Do you stress when flying? Or get shittered on the free piss and black out 'till a hostess wakes you up the other end?

If you "love your dog" sit in the hold, with your dog for 14 hours.Do it :o

Just some info for the deprived and deranged, so sorry i took up some of your valued time. I'll go back to watching paint dry.

this from the Thai Consulate in Hull:-

4. On arrival in Bangkok you will need to collect your pet(s). Usually they

will be in a cage on the baggage carousel !

5. You then need to take your pet(s) to the Animal Import Desk located in

the airport where you will complete Import Documents. The officer on

duty will decide if the pet(s) needs to go into quarantine. Feedback

which we have received from other travellers indicates that pet dogs

and cats and not usually quarantined.

Wow, there have been some strong opinions made here by some. And solely opinions they are, as there are many examples where dogs and cats have made it through the trip very well and are living a happy life with their owners here. In some cases even more happy than in their home country as they have the freedom of both inside and outside the house at all times, instead of being inside the house with merely 3 walks a day, because in their home countries it's too cold and/or too wet to roam the garden during the day.

In the past several years I've seen too many dogs being rehomed once their owners left the country. This is not always in the benefit of the animal. Several of them developed seperation anxiety due to changing owner a couple of times in their lives.

Personally, I respect those who make a commitment to their animal to take care of it for its whole live, no matter what may pop up during this period.

Of course, there always can be circumstances that it is better for the well-being of the animal to rehome it. This completely depends on the individual case.

In answer to OP's questions:

To my knowledge pet animals only arrive on the luggage carrousel if it travels with the owner/s on the same flight as excess luggage. (And yes, observer21, dogs and cats do arrive on the luggage carrousel when flying as excess luggage)

If the animal is send by cargo (a different plane), then you have to collect it from the cargo terminal. Where that is in BKK I do not know, but there have been threads where this is explained (read the pinned subject first. If it's not there, then I suggest you do some search on this forum with words like 'import' and 'dogs'). In these threads you can also read that sedating the dog during travel in NOT recommended and why.

Recently there has been a thread on importing a dog from England, where crate training has been explained. Worth while looking at this thread. As proper crate training can reduce the stress level enormously.

In my opinion, please, do bring your dog, IF your dog does not show abnormal anxious behavior already and depending on his/her overall health. If your dog has a thick double coat, then also bring proper grooming gear. You can bet on it that especially the undercoat will shed within a week after arrival. Meaning that you will spend most of your day grooming this undercoat out. Shaving the dog is not recommended, unless it has a medical reason (or with shih tzu's, other very long-haired dogs or poodles in boarding with me, a complete selfish reason :o )

Another recommendation is to have a small pond/swimming pool or the like in your garden for the dog to jump in and cool down.

Having several St. Bernards and huskies in boarding, at my kennel, I see this is very important for them to cool down. And not only for them, of course, almost all other (mix) breeds enjoy the water, if it was only to sit in it and not swim.

As for germs and the like in Thailand. Thailand is a hot and humid country where germs etc play party time. But it's up to the immune system of your animal whether it is susceptible to these germs or not. Therefore, it is the same as anywhere in the world: give your animal the diet that provides the proper nutrients.

If you read this forum than you can read that I, based on several years of experience and research, prefer to give my dogs raw food. Not everyone prefers to do so, and for those there is fairly good quality dog food brands on the market. These are not cheap as they are all imported. The cheap ones are locally made and will NOT provide your animal with the proper nutrients. Another option is to cook the food for your dog.

Depending on where you are going to live, there are for sure in BKK and Chiang Mai good vet's. Other places I'm not familiar with, but you can ask on this forum for a start. And you can PM Bambina, who is the forum vet, and so far i know always willing to answer questions on animal's health issues.

As in all countries there are good and bad vets and Thailand is no exception. Also, even good vets can make mistakes or aren't always right. You've have to find yourself a vet in your neighborhood that you feel comfortable with.

One last thing I would like to add: ticks and heartworm is very common here. Therefore, it is advisable to give heartworm prevention by pill or injection, and try to prevent ticks on your dog at all times, which is very hard, and therefore I advise to do a SNAP test every half a year. For this the vet draws some blood of your animal and put that with some solution in a little testkit. 5 Minutes later you receive the answer whether your dog is positive (has antibodies against a certain tick parasite) or not. If positive, your dog will be prescribed an antibiotic cure. If the disease is caught in the acute stage, the parasite can be killed with antibiotics. If the disease has become chronic, the only thing that remains is to keep the dog's immune system optimal with GOOD food.

Hope this will be of some help to you,

Nienke

Don't be put off by ignorant and stupid replies by people who should know better !! after you have been here for while you will realise that when you ask a question you have to sift through the inevitable rubbish and hope someone would have sense to reply to your question.

I asked the same question 3 years ago and the replies varied from 'put your dogs down','already too many dogs' etc etc........ don't be put off, I had 3 dogs imported from the UK they arrived fine and healthy (although the Thais were fascinated by the Great Dane !!!) and all have had a great time in Thailand.

Make sure your dogs vaccinations are up to date and don't forget the Rabies jab !! and heart worm tablets are an option. The quarantine will be in your own home.

Good luck, if I can help any further and you would like a more private conversation you can always PM me. :o

Wow, there have been some strong opinions made here by some. And solely opinions they are, as there are many examples where dogs and cats have made it through the trip very well and are living a happy life with their owners here. In some cases even more happy than in their home country as they have the freedom of both inside and outside the house at all times, instead of being inside the house with merely 3 walks a day, because in their home countries it's too cold and/or too wet to roam the garden during the day.

In the past several years I've seen too many dogs being rehomed once their owners left the country. This is not always in the benefit of the animal. Several of them developed seperation anxiety due to changing owner a couple of times in their lives.

Personally, I respect those who make a commitment to their animal to take care of it for its whole live, no matter what may pop up during this period.

Of course, there always can be circumstances that it is better for the well-being of the animal to rehome it. This completely depends on the individual case.

In answer to OP's questions:

To my knowledge pet animals only arrive on the luggage carrousel if it travels with the owner/s on the same flight as excess luggage. (And yes, observer21, dogs and cats do arrive on the luggage carrousel when flying as excess luggage)

If the animal is send by cargo (a different plane), then you have to collect it from the cargo terminal. Where that is in BKK I do not know, but there have been threads where this is explained (read the pinned subject first. If it's not there, then I suggest you do some search on this forum with words like 'import' and 'dogs'). In these threads you can also read that sedating the dog during travel in NOT recommended and why.

Recently there has been a thread on importing a dog from England, where crate training has been explained. Worth while looking at this thread. As proper crate training can reduce the stress level enormously.

In my opinion, please, do bring your dog, IF your dog does not show abnormal anxious behavior already and depending on his/her overall health. If your dog has a thick double coat, then also bring proper grooming gear. You can bet on it that especially the undercoat will shed within a week after arrival. Meaning that you will spend most of your day grooming this undercoat out. Shaving the dog is not recommended, unless it has a medical reason (or with shih tzu's, other very long-haired dogs or poodles in boarding with me, a complete selfish reason :o )

Another recommendation is to have a small pond/swimming pool or the like in your garden for the dog to jump in and cool down.

Having several St. Bernards and huskies in boarding, at my kennel, I see this is very important for them to cool down. And not only for them, of course, almost all other (mix) breeds enjoy the water, if it was only to sit in it and not swim.

As for germs and the like in Thailand. Thailand is a hot and humid country where germs etc play party time. But it's up to the immune system of your animal whether it is susceptible to these germs or not. Therefore, it is the same as anywhere in the world: give your animal the diet that provides the proper nutrients.

If you read this forum than you can read that I, based on several years of experience and research, prefer to give my dogs raw food. Not everyone prefers to do so, and for those there is fairly good quality dog food brands on the market. These are not cheap as they are all imported. The cheap ones are locally made and will NOT provide your animal with the proper nutrients. Another option is to cook the food for your dog.

Depending on where you are going to live, there are for sure in BKK and Chiang Mai good vet's. Other places I'm not familiar with, but you can ask on this forum for a start. And you can PM Bambina, who is the forum vet, and so far i know always willing to answer questions on animal's health issues.

As in all countries there are good and bad vets and Thailand is no exception. Also, even good vets can make mistakes or aren't always right. You've have to find yourself a vet in your neighborhood that you feel comfortable with.

One last thing I would like to add: ticks and heartworm is very common here. Therefore, it is advisable to give heartworm prevention by pill or injection, and try to prevent ticks on your dog at all times, which is very hard, and therefore I advise to do a SNAP test every half a year. For this the vet draws some blood of your animal and put that with some solution in a little testkit. 5 Minutes later you receive the answer whether your dog is positive (has antibodies against a certain tick parasite) or not. If positive, your dog will be prescribed an antibiotic cure. If the disease is caught in the acute stage, the parasite can be killed with antibiotics. If the disease has become chronic, the only thing that remains is to keep the dog's immune system optimal with GOOD food.

Hope this will be of some help to you,

Nienke

Well said. Excellent advice as usual :D

Hi,

I recently brought my dog in from Indonesia via cargo. Slightly different scenario to yourselves, but thought i'd give you a heads up on what i went through once she arrived.

Firstly you need to get a import permit . To get this you will need to go to the T1 building in the carge freezone at the airport (suggest you pick up a map of the airport)

They require a form to be filled in that you can get off their website, or from them, they have a copy of the form in the office (filled in in English)

You will also need copies of your passport, and they said a address reference letter (you can get this from any immigration office, but they never asked for mine)

At this point I would suggest that you make a decision about what you are going to write for the dog. If you write that it is a breed, they will charge you more import tax, even if the dog isn’t for breeding. They have charts on the wall and pictures of banned breeds so you have to decide whether to write female GSD’ or female dog.

They will then email the import permit to you, it is valid for 45 days. Assume that your company will have completed all this paper work in advance for you

From the country of departure; REQUIREMENTS FOR THE IMPORTATION OF DOGS AND CATS

INTO THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND

1) A health certificate in English, signed or further endorsed by a full-time authorized veterinary official of the government of the exporting country, if it is previously acknowledged by a veterinary surgeon, stating:-

1.1) number and species ,

1.2) breed, sex, age and color or animal identification,

1.3) name and address of the owner OR the kennel of origin,

1.4) certification of condition items (2) to (5).

This is the most important form, and the only one anyone really asked to see

2) The animals must come from an area where animal diseases are under control. They are found to be healthy, free from signs of any infectious and contagious diseases including ectoparasitism at the time of export and fit to travel.

3) The country has been free from Rabies for at least the past 12 (twelve) months OR the animals are vaccinated against Rabies with an official approved vaccine not less than 21 (twenty- one) days prior to the departure.

No one asked to see my vaccination card, just wanted the vet certificate (which stated she’d been vaccinated)

4) EITHER a) The dog is vaccinated against Leptospirosis at least 21(twenty-one) days preceding departure.

OR :o The dog is subjected to a test for Leptospirosis with negative result during the 30 (thirty) days prior to the departure.

Same as above

5) The animals shall be vaccinated against other significant infectious or contagious diseases i.e. Distemper, Hepatitis, and Parvovirus, with an official approved vaccine at least 21 (twenty-one) days prior to the departure.

Same as above

6) The animals must be conveyed in nose-and-paw proof crates designed to avoid any risk of injury or unnecessary suffering.

Suggest that you attach water and food, my dog wasn’t given any water by the Thai authorities

7) The animals are not allowed to expose to other animals if they have to be landed in transit at any approved intermediate port. They shall not be allowed to leave precinct of the port except to an officially approved transit quarantine area.

8) The animals are subjected to quarantine at approved premises for a period of at least 30 (thirty) days upon arrival during which they shall be submitted to tests and/or treatments deemed necessary. The importer/owner shall be fully charged for the incurred expenses.

When you fill in the import permit, they will ask you were the dog will be quarantined, just write down your home address, this is totally acceptable, they do not have quarantine facilities at the airport, and don’t seem to quarantine any animals

9) Failure to follow the import procedures may result in returning the animals to the country of origin or destroying without compensation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will then need to put all of this in an envelope and show it to the airline you are sending the dog with. They will give you an airways bill (AWB)(this is what you will be charged tax on) All this information will be attached to the dogs crate for transport. Make a note of the airway bill number (means you can phone and check whether the dog has arrived)

On arrival in thailand. You will need to go to the Thai cargo counter services, tel; 021374940(freezone) (they are only open from about 8.30-5.00, although the actual cargo depot is 24hrs,tel; 021374232 if your dog arrives after 5pm you can phone and confirm with them that it has arroved) they will check your AWB number and give you the documentation, as well as ensuring the dog has arrived. Then its back to the T1 building to receive their paper work, they will take copies of the airway bill, invoice, certificate of health, and fill in a form, you’ll be charged 100bht.

Then off to the customs building opposite the Thai cargo counter service, to pay the tax. This is upstairs on the right. You will be charged on the cost of the AWB not the cost of the dog. The tax is 30% of the AWB. If the dog is a breed they may charge you 50%. ( once again its up to you, but if you make the AWB for a smaller amount than it actual is you will pay less tax, if the dog is described as a dog not a breed you will pay less tax) Basically you will stand around for ages whilst lots of different people pass you around adding paperwork to your pile, and checking your passport. Outside this office people will offer to do this for you for a price, telling you they can get the dog for you for less tax etc,!The customs officer told me that these people are touts and it will end up costing more, not sure who to believe, I didn’t use them, and paid the tax. Make sure they sign the customs import form allowing you to remove the dog (they didn’t with me and this made the process take a lot longer, it is also the only form in English, so I should have checked)

When you have the correct pile of paper work, you walk across the hall and pay (there are ATM’s and banks everywhere should you run out of cash.) You then take the receipt and paper work back across the hall so they can take the number.

Then you go downstairs to the e-import counter and they put the details in to the computer.

Then over to the Thai cargo building opposite to get another piece of paper to sign to allow you to get a security pass to collect your dog.

Up to the sixth floor of that building, fill in another form, wait in line and get a security pass (pay 10 baht)

Then go to the T1 building to get another signature on the customs permit. (not even sure why, think it may have been a vet!!)

Now you can drive through to the Thai airways international cargo terminal, the building furthest away, sign posted as international. There are many counters, and buildings, you need to find the bank and the paperwork office. Go to the bank and pay the charge for the dog being kept for a day, then to the main paperwork office and they will take you to collect the dog!! The dog will be in a room just around the corner from the paperwork office, its has AC, but the dog will be in a crate and will not have had any food water etc.

All in all about 5 hours

Advice: Make sure that your dog arrives during office hours, preferably first thing in the morning, maybe 8am, this means your dog will have the least amount of time in a crate. Its up to you to put water in the crate, the Thai cargo people don’t top this up, they don’t give food, even if it is attached to the box with instructions in Thai. Probably if at all possible take a Thai speaker with you as none of the paper work was in English, and most of the officials had basic English. Be prepared for everyone to move at a snails pace, and to close for lunch, and generally not understand how important it is for you to get to your dog. Take your passport, and driving license (thai if you have one). Make copies of all the paperwork that you have to provide. If you have time when you go to the freezone to get the import permit, drive around and find out where all the other buildings you need are, this speeds the process up. This is a really long and tedicous process, which is excused because apparently not many animals are imported in to Thailand. In my personal opinion if you can absolutely avoid sending an animal as cargo do

Hi, there! First of all, please do ignore the replies you have had from guys who have nothing better to do but to criticise others and write silly comments!

We brought both our dogs here a year ago, it's not an easy process, but it can work, and it's unlikely that your dog will suffer any ill effects at all from the journey. You say that you expect that your shipper will use BA --- animal shippers are free to use whichever ailine you prefer, so you need to talk to them about this. If you decide to use Thai Airways, (as we did),. you are able to reserve a place in the special, darkened, air condition hold they use for animals of all sorts. This reservation can be amde three weeks before you plan to fly. At the same time you can check with Thai Air whether you can get a flight , preferable the same one, as you will not want your dog to stay in his/her crate waiting for you to arrive at your destination. Get your dog's reservation confirmation details from Thai Air, and give them to your shipper, telling them that you insist that your dog goes on this flight and no other. If they argue, sack them and get another shipper who does use Thai. As soon as you have that side sorted, book your flight. At three weeks before departure, there's plenty of time to arrange with another company. We actually had to do this, as , four weeks before our departure, we discovered that the company we were using for our dogs was absolute rubbish -- dogs had died due to their mismanagement, etc, so a very quick rethink was essential.

In case you are not aware of the rules and regs you have to follow to get your dogs into Thailand, here's a (not very) brief resume.

1. You have to have your vet give you the necessary DEFRA forms to have the dog cleared to leave the UK and enter Thailand. He signs, you fill them in, you send to DEFRA, they check them out, approve, stamp and retirn to your vet. Certain vaccinations are necessary, rabies vacc is not, as the UK is a rabies-free country. Three days before you fly, you must take your dog to your vet, he will do a brief examination and sign your dog off as infection free. There is no quarantine period in Thailand, you are considered to be quarantining your dog at your place of residence.

2. You have to arrange to have your dog seen by the attending vet at your destination airport. This is usually done by the shipper, who should contact the Thai equivalent of DEFRA and get a permit for your dog to land based on the DEFRA papers you have and your vet's sign-off. If the shippers cannot or will not do this, they should give you contact details here so that you can arrange it yourself. The above is actually the tricky bit.

3. import duty. This is a bitch. It is based on a combination of the cost of your dog's journey (expensive!) and the cost of the dog itself. To give you some idea , we paid after some negitiation,(believe it or not), £1200 (in baht) in import duty for our two. I suspect that we ,and the Thai lady who was helping us, could have negotiated it down still further, but the dogs were sitting in their crates in an open hanger at Chiang Mai airport on a very hot day, and all we wanted was to get them out and home. We were able to go in and give them water, as our Thai friend's family had long term connections with the airport. They will not release your dog to you until import duty has been paid.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

okinasan

If you love the dog, stay in the UK or find a good home for it in the UK, otherwise risk putting the dog through hel_l with the inevitable results.

Biggest pile of crap (pun intended) posted on TV today and that is saying something !!! :o

Hi Poppysdad,

I didn't read all the other comments, I would like to tell you my experiencie when I brought my dog to Thailand from Argentina (yes, that was a very long trip). We did it as excess baggage, it was the best option (for us and the dog) and it was also suggested by the people who do all the cargo thing. Just make sure that the airline can carry a live animal when you have to flight and check with the thai embassy in the UK all the papers that you need when you arrive Thailand. In our case, no quarantine was needed at all.

Our dog was a siberian husky and she was fine after the flight, well, it tooks a couple of days for her to be ok, she was under so much stress. But it was the right option for us, we loved so much that we could't leave her with anybody. She died eight month ago because a dog hotel called "World Pet Angel", located in Bangkok, were neglect with her, that's another sad story.

I hope you can bring your beloved dog with you and have a happy life together. Good luck !

Rather admirable that when retiring you chose to keep your family together. I suppose the naysayers would rather you just abandon a loyal friend to some stranger.

Depending upon the transporter and what's in the contract, the shipping company might arrange to pick up the dog upon arrival or ensure that it's location is made known to you (they give a # to call or a tracking number).

Unless there are watering instructions that poor dog is going to arrive dehydrated so please check with the transporter on that and make sure that they do not subcontract to someone that doesn't care if fido is left to bake on a tarmac. There are strict rules in place that govern transport of animals (not that it stops some airline employees from being jerks) but it's a lot better today than it was before. The animal will travel in a pressurized, air conditioned and darkened compartment (dark to reduce stress). Some transporters will walk the dog during stopovers (yea they do that depending upon the agency).

For what it's worth, in the long run you are doing the right thing if your vet says the animal can travel. However, there will be a learning curve as the dog learns not to chase snakes etc. Start your prophylactic medications well before travel, particularly heartworm and flea drops.

A word to those that slammed this poor guy, don't you think he's going to be worrying the whole trip? What good does it do to add additional stress to the equation? At least he cares about his companion to try and do the right thing.