16,000 POW's Died Building The Death Railway: Why Do Foreigners Pay More To Ride The Train?

Mitkof Island

Is that a special (tourist) track? I never paid anything else than regular prices for train tickets in Bangkok and the South. Then again, I haven't travelled on a train in Thailand for more than 15 years; is there a 'farang price' now?

If the track is treated as a 'tourist attraction', then there's probably a 'foreigner price', otherwise it's probably a scam.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Geez, if you want to stay in your home country where everything is exactly what you are accustomed to, I am sure that is a possibility for you... 

If you go to live in a country w/a different culture, and different customs, [that are their choice] then live w/your decision... 

Funny how farang here complain about a few baht - - but I bet you can't buy noodle soup in your home country for 30 baht... but you don't mention that. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Pretty sure if I had a Bed and Breakfast in the UK and suggested charging 6.5 times the price for people from Thailand, Africa, or anyone foreign, I'd be called racist, definition or not.

I'm not disputing what the great unwashed might call it but the English definition of the word doesn't fit this case.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, you would charge a Thai tourist in your country also 6.5x the local price?

Silly question my X country doesn't do that the UK charges 10 times more to anyone, in Thailand 100 bht £2.50 instead of what Thais pay it's still cheap don't be so mean. Kin knell farangies. 

• Like 1

It's a special tourist attraction train.  Just took a "regular" train last month to Hua Hin.  Pricing the same for foreigners and Thai people.  Get over it.  As I recall on this special tourist train, they give you a special certificate and snack, too.  It's a nice ride for the price.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

It's a special tourist attraction train.  Just took a "regular" train last month to Hua Hin.  Pricing the same for foreigners and Thai people.  Get over it.  As I recall on this special tourist train, they give you a special certificate and snack, too.  It's a nice ride for the price.

What special certificate what snack?

22 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

What special certificate what snack?

That's what we received when we rode the train to the end of the line a few years ago.  Maybe they stopped doing this during Covid.