16,000 POW's Died Building The Death Railway: Why Do Foreigners Pay More To Ride The Train?

Mitkof Island

51 minutes ago, FalangKino said:

Except many Asian tourists do not get double charged if they look Thai enough.

So yes, it is based on appearance. It is discrimination.

A white dude with Thai citizenship or residency still has to pay double

I still think it is nice of them to let my gf and her family in at discounted prices, in that perspective I do not feel extorted. Also like to look at Thailand as one package and not get hang ups on minor details as long I feel Im on the positive side of the scale. You can choose to continue cultivate each and one negative side of Thailand, or see the bigger picture that suits you. 

At once I reach more negativity Im out. Therefor as said I choose to accept minor flaws like this. 

I would have thought it would had been unfair if Average Thais had to pay double or more than they do today, so Tourist could feel equal

SHOULD TOURISTS PAY MORE THAN LOCALS AT ATTRACTIONS?

A couple days ago, a massive debate was spewed all over twitter when I made a couple comments about Borobudur Temple in Indonesia’s policy of charging tourists a massive rate higher than locals.  I’m at a bit of a loss for answers, and I don’t stand to one side particularly too strongly.  However, I am of the belief that fleecing tourists is a tired game that can’t be sustainable unless that attraction really is worth the elevated rate of admission.  I’m not sure Borobudur is, but for the sake of a blog debate.  Let’s discuss the idea behind tourists paying more than locals.  In an attempt to be completely biased, I’m going to look at both sides, and the arguments for and against it”

https://www.brendansadventures.com/should-tourist-pay-more-than-locals-at-tourist-attractions/

On 4/30/2022 at 7:18 AM, RichardColeman said:

Pretty sure if I had a Bed and Breakfast in the UK and suggested charging 6.5 times the price for people from Thailand, Africa, or anyone foreign, I'd be called racist, definition or not.

at 6.5x higher, I don't think you will have any customers. 

On 4/30/2022 at 5:14 AM, Mitkof Island said:

16,000 foreigners died correct and no disrespect. look it up yourself

Between 180,000 and 250,000 civilian labourers and over 60,000 Allied prisoners of war were subjected to forced labour during its construction. During the railway's construction, around 90,000 Southeast Asian civilian forced labourers died, along with more than 12,000 Allied prisoners. ...Wikipedia    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma_Railway

• Like 2

Your analysis of the situation is spot on, however, this is Thailand where logic and common sense fly right out the window. By rights, the Allies should have OWNED Thailand after World War Two because they were part of the Axis forces. Seldom have enemy collaborators been given such a sweet deal. Pay the extra price and chalk it up to peace and harmony. You can't win when arguing with these people. They lack the capacity for understanding anything but their own innate prejudice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Judging by the quality of the education here, how many Thais do you think are aware of these details? Many I speak with are barely aware of any details concerning WWII, nor the Japanese occupation of Thailand. 

Thais do not or would not discuss about Japan occupying Thailand because they didn't Thailand ceceded to Japan. 

• Thanks 1

Numbers I heard were 100k Asians died building the railway and only 7 are in marked graves. Thailand was complicit, but do remember it was the Japanese that ran the show. Take it up with them.

I don't like double pricing, but I reckon until foreigners demand to be paid same as Thais, they don't have solid grounds to complain...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Attractions that are funded or supported by taxpayers should be free or discounted to the taxpayers visiting the site. 
Commercial enterprises that charge foreigners more are a scam. 

Ocean World at the Siam Paragon is an example of a scam operator where they even disguised the Thai price using Thai script. 
I once took two Thai guests to Ocean World and they tried to charge me the foreign price for my Thai guests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1