What’s the best US mobile for International use?

Hi,

I’d like to get a mobile phone plan from the United States that actually works internationally, including with roaming as well as reliable SMS text messaging receipt.

My bank account often requires SMS text message verification and the text messages never get to my thailand mobile phone, and some of the other services that I use don’t even allow for any international number, they insist it has to be in United States landline or United States mobile number.

Before you start suggesting phone forwarding services or virtual phones, good on ya for wanting to help, but I have used pretty much all of them since arriving here in 2008 and none of them work, -maybe you know some that do but when it comes to actually working with the bank or services like QuickBooks online, I haven’t seen any that worked.

I use Lycamobile. About $27 a month. Roaming thru AIS. I don't use it to call out or answer calls $$$$ but I receive SMS free, and can see the numbers of those who call me. But for banks and such I use a paid Google static number, US number, rings here and Bank sees the number for call backs, about $35 a year, no extra charges.

Lyca is a good service in the US, but support is lacking. I believe runs on T-mobile backbone.

When you say Google static number, are you referring to a Google Voice dedicated phone number?

I have two of those but I rarely use them, can they receive SMS messages?

I will check out Lycamobile, thanks for the recommendation!

I can't help you on US mobile plans, but what I did to have a UK number for the same reasons (banking)  was found a cheap-ish, basic UK plan, and set it up so that payment is automatically taken from my UK bank account each month.

I then set it so that calls and texts will also go to my Thai phone (both are iPhones). so I can still receive calls from people that call me on my UK number.

Turned off data roaming and basically leave the phone turned off unless I need it for banking or any other services such as Wise that require 2FA. 

When I need to do any online banking, money transfers, or check any UK services that require 2FA, I turn it on to receive the codes. Works well for me.

HTH

Edited by phetphet

Budget?

With zero detail provided: budget, usage, data?, time period, current location....

Google Fi.

with eSIM.

Does your bank offer other 2FA options? FIDO key?

I use Google Voice/free, Talkatone/free, UltraMobile (WiFi calling)/$3/month and T-Mobile ($3.50/month). All work with all of my requirements for 2FA.

This topic comes here often, think there was a similar thread last week, so a search would help you.

1 hour ago, donsaiyuan said:

When you say Google static number, are you referring to a Google Voice dedicated phone number?

Not sure, but I think he means this??? part of Google Workspace.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/9262165?hl=en

1 hour ago, donsaiyuan said:

Yes, Google Voice can receive SMS, incl. Short-code SMS. But it's not 100% guaranteed, some contend that GV numbers can be blacklisted. That hasn't been my experience.  You can see if this works for you. Just add it to your account and then try it.

Also curious, does anyone have experience with Verizon or AT& T mobile?

I tried to get a T-Mobile Magenta plan but because I have been over here for so long, it was very difficult with a huge amount of runaround and dodgy customer service?

I was mostly using their SMS chatline to do this, although when I did speak on the phone with them and went through all of the application and verification steps, I actually called back today to purchase a phone and a plan they said I had to start all over again, even though it was only a week ago that I completed all the steps.

They mentioned that while the credit approval would last 30 days, all the other application steps get wiped after 48 hours. Maybe there’s a more reliable way to obtain one of these phones while over here, but I haven’t found it yet.

6 minutes ago, donsaiyuan said:

7 minutes ago, donsaiyuan said:

but because I have been over here for so long

Where is here?

Where do you spend the bulk of your time?

Unless you live in the U.S. permanently. I can think of no reason to enter into a contract with AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile.

Google Fi is an exception given their seamless global roaming, and WiFi calling, options.

Otherwise maybe just deal with a PAYG pre--paid MVNO like Ultramobile, or USmobile. 

If you just detail exactly what you need and what your budget is, we'll try to help.

11 minutes ago, donsaiyuan said:

I tried to get a T-Mobile Magenta plan but because

Why?

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Where do you spend the bulk of your time?

Thailand.

Unless you live in the U.S. permanently. I can think of no reason to enter into a contract with AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile.

Google Fi is an exception given their seamless global roaming, and WiFi calling, options.

Just bought Google Fi + Phone. Will have it activated in US by friend, tested, shipped here. Hopefully customs doesn't try to rip it off. <-I didn't just type that.

Otherwise maybe just deal with a PAYG pre--paid MVNO like Ultramobile, or USmobile. 

Cool thanks for these. If Google doesn't work out, maybe these will. Sounds like Google Fi is solid.

If you just detail exactly what you need and what your budget is, we'll try to help.

1. Quickbooks for example. It won't accept a Thai number. I'd say first reason to buy is for SMS verification for services too far behind the times to adopt FIDO keys. I'd blow those services off but need them to run business.

2. Another reason is when signing up for certain SAAS / other services that insist on NOT using a Skype type of number.

43 minutes ago, donsaiyuan said:

Just bought Google Fi + Phone. Will have it activated in US by friend, tested, shipped here. Hopefully customs doesn't try to rip it off. <-I didn't just type that.

You could buy a Pixel 6 or 6 Pro here, then subscribe to Google Fi with an eSIM.

You could also port one of your Google Voice numbers INTO Google Fi.

Had you mentioned the friend, I would have suggested an UltraMobile SIM, $13 on eBay, $3/month for 100 SMS/100 Min, uses WiFi calling which works well here. The friend could activate it and then mail it to you. 

12 hours ago, donsaiyuan said:

I will check out Lycamobile, thanks for the recommendation!

I'm sorry, I error-ed. I meant a Skype static number. But with Lyca, I have their sim on one phone and my Thai sim on another.  I use the Lyca service in the States. Its my home phone. With the $29 plan you can call free to Thailand. When here, anyone that calls my home  Lyca phone from the States, it rings here in Thailand, including SMS. I think Google Voice has changed something, maybe for the  better. The other day I called using Google Voice because you lose the number if you don't use it once in a while. The person I called texted me back to the Google Voice number, but I got it on my Lyca phone here in Thailand. It seems they are connecting your home phone to the Google Phone number for return calls.

Edited by bunnydrops
typo

12 hours ago, donsaiyuan said:

I've had T-Mobile for several years in the US - the ONE plan, which I think has been re-branded as Magenta. When in Thailand, I put my T-Mobile SIM into a new dedicated phone, and found that receiving SMS messages was hit or miss. Some I'd get, and some not. I'd get messages coming from T-Mobile (such as billing notices), but 2FA messages from both Wise and Bank of America were never received.  I think others have gotten their T-Mobile SIMs to work reliably, but I didn't have the patience to troubleshoot my issue.

Haven't checked lately but AT&T was, in the past, very expensive for data roaming.    Now have T-Mobile with the international option ($25 a month).  Spotty in some areas (India) and not particularly fast anywhere but good enough for short visits to countries where I won't spend enough time to do an in-country SIM).    As @DrDave indicated, SMS messages come immediately at times, slowly at others, or occasionally not at all.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:22 PM, mtls2005 said:

You could buy a Pixel 6 or 6 Pro here, then subscribe to Google Fi with an eSIM.

On this part, when I buy a Pixel 6 here, will it come with an eSim or should I buy one of those separately? That's a new one to me, much appreciated on the advice.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:22 PM, mtls2005 said:

You could also port one of your Google Voice numbers INTO Google Fi.

Had you mentioned the friend, I would have suggested an UltraMobile SIM, $13 on eBay, $3/month for 100 SMS/100 Min, uses WiFi calling which works well here. The friend could activate it and then mail it to you.

I might try this too.

Basically with me and two other team members here in LOS, and 2 back in USA who can activate / test there then bring on next flight inbound, it's worth trying each solution till we find the best mix. The Google Fi that I already bought for instance might stay stateside with team member A, and I'd get the Pixel 6 here as you mention.

If UltraMobile is just a SIM that can go inside a standard mobile phone here, it sounds lightweight, easy to ship here after activation, and way less likely Customs would try to ransom it off like, say, a shipping container full of XBoxes.

Let me know if I got that correct, or if there's a preferred device / manufacturer to pair it with.

Thanks again for this info, truly appreciated.

Edited by donsaiyuan