Thailand’s travel safety ranked eighth globally and first in ASEAN by American tourist’s votes

webfact

3 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’ve always felt safer wandering at random around Bangkok than in many European cities, where I’ve occasionally been approached by aggressive beggars. Despite spending a lot more time there, it’s never happened to me in Thailand.

It's true, and most people in major UK cities wouldn't dare walk to the corner shop for a pint of milk after dark. Why? Take your pick. 

There's the:

• One-punch knockout thugs hiding around corners (just for kicks)
  • Acid attacks at random pedestrians (just for kicks)
  • The moped snatch & grab gangs operate with impunity 
  • Out-of-control stabbings (with a rise in machete attacks) 

Worst still, the criminal thugs are getting younger and more violent. I wish I weren't like that, but it is, and it's getting worse. The UK isn't safe; it's become a divided and violent nation.

I've never felt afraid walking around Thai cities after dark. Biggest threat? Ensure your wallet is in your front pocket when walking by ladyboys in certain areas.

Stubby

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’ve always felt safer wandering at random around Bangkok than in many European cities, where I’ve occasionally been approached by aggressive beggars. Despite spending a lot more time there, it’s never happened to me in Thailand.

Absolutely.... although wandering there in Covid times was eerie with the lack of people about. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ed strong said:

Not sure Thailand is safer than Singapore but then I'm not American!

I've had to pay off some Thai guys in bkk after one of our group was rude to them and on another occasion also been threatened to be shot by a thai women, this turned out to be a total misunderstanding and later resolved however you can see the thais sometimes act in haste and alot of violence is the result of drugs which aren't readily available in Singapore. I've encountered no trouble in Singapore.

For sure Malaysia is a better and safer place as well.