Video: Dropped phone leads to this mess in Lopburi

webfact

8pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

77kadoed reported that three pick-ups collided after a man in one dropped his phone by his feet.

Phaisan, 48, in an Isuzu, said he reached down to get his mobile and when he looked up he had veered left and was on collision course. 

Chai Badan police attended the scene on the Saraburi to Lomsak Road heading south in the area of the local market.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

8pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Khanthabut, 39, the driver of the middle pick up said he had arrived in the area with ten workers in two pick-ups to do some cable burying work.

One employee was injured after they went back to get something from one of the pick-ups.She was named as Narin, 36, who was taken to Chai Badan hospital. 

The third pick-up in the pictures had collided with the other two that were parked by the side of the road. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

Phaisan, 48, in an Isuzu, said he reached down to get his mobile and when he looked up he had veered left and was on collision course. 

Did he think about stopping the vehicle and doing that while it was parked?

Or would such complicated though procedure be above his ability?

• Like 2

Nope... I don’t believe this at all... 

This has to be either ‘brake failure’ or the new favourite ‘Lap-Nai’....

The driver must have banged his head hard to accept fault like this... Or is he suggesting its the phones fault for falling ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did he think about stopping the vehicle and doing that while it was parked?

Or would such complicated though procedure be above his ability?

A Thai driver driving applying the brakes when its not 100% essential ???? 

(yes, that is a bash at many of Thailand's drivers... but just look at how many accidents occur because of the simple refusal to apply brakes)

• Like 1

Every close call I had on the road, which happens multiple times a day, are caused by these drivers on their phones. Every single time as I ride pass on my motorcycle, I see a bright rectangle box lit up and their heads facing to it, totally oblivious that they almost swiped me or some other motorbike or car. Or that the traffic light is still indeed red, and they are slowly creeping up onto a bike's rear, eventually pushing him off his bike. Or the fact that they are causing a jam because they are driving in the middle of the center and fast lane at 30 kmh because they are enjoying their favorite lakorn or God knows what.

If I am to die or get into an accident on these roads, I sure hope it's due to my own folly and not because of one of these unaware and selfish <deleted>. How hard is it to put down the phone for the duration of the journey, or to just fire up an audiobook or talkshow or something that doesn't require focus on the screen. 

• Like 2

So another somchai using the phone while driving instead of it either being off, or in a phone cradle of some sort so he could drive and operate the mobile hands free........next......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The third pick-up in the pictures had collided with the other two that were parked by the side of the road.

Wonder what they dropped ..... maybe micro sleep ...

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

Had it happen to me while parked waiting for daughter outside school. Another parent veered into me in a pick up truck. Excuse was Sorry. "I dropped phone and bent down to pick it up".

Luckily no major damage.

Idiot!!

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

About time Thailand enforced a rule of if you caused the accident you are responsible for the hospital bills 100% - and if that means selling you house and gold, so be it

I get your point and definitely agree that there needs to be some accountability.

But, the issue already is that those with nothing to lose ride around as if they have nothing to lose.

Where is the difference ???

The only difference is bent police would have better leverage to blame the innocent. 

We’d need 360 degree 4K dash-cams to protect ourselves (I already have 1st class insurance and fwd and rear facing cams). 

5 hours ago, smedly said:

I have said many times on here that mobile phone use is a major cause of accidents on Thailands roads along with drunk driving speeding and general stupidity and ultimately lack of law enforcement

but Thailand ain't listening to you so why keep flogging the dead horse? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My God... I don't know what am I more surprised at.... the idiot dropping his phone and then reaching down to grab it... or the fact that for once the driver is admitting his error instead of using the traditional 'brake failure' or 'microsleep' excuse.

• Like 1