British Passport Expiry Date When Applying For A Marriage Extension.

In late July this year I will be renewing my marriage extension as per normal.

My current British passport expires 26th December 2023.

I have always believed that this won't be a problem for this year's renewal which will finish early in August 2023. 

However, I recently bumped into an old friend who told me that this may not be the case.

The problem being that when I renewed my current British passport back in March 2013 I did so 8 months early so that the new passport that was issued is actually is valid for 10 years and 8 months.

But this friend of mine has informed me that Thai immigration may not except passports that are more than 10 years old for yearly renewals, no matter what the actual expiry date printed in the passport states.

This sounds like hogwash to me but then again this being Thailand it could also be true...

So in simple terms my question or this, 

Will I have a problem renewing my marriage extension in late July this year with a passport that expires on the 26th December 2023?

Bearing in mind that that expiry date is 10 years and 8 months after the passport was first issued.

What your friend told you is half-understood hogwash. There is an issue with passports of validity more than ten years, because these are not accepted for entry to the European Union. I don't know of any other country where that applies, and it certainly doesn't apply in Thailand. The UK doesn't  add on unexpired months to new passports any more.

• Thanks 1