PEA Tariff

carlyai

We have 3 phase to the house. The meter was moved from the rice thrasher machine for us to use. 

So for a monthly total of 582 units we pay B2569.84.  There is also this on the bill                  Ft 0.0139   8.09.   So we pay B4.41/unit I think.

Are we paying a factory rate?

I've been away for nearly a year and my lovely wife has been driven mader with this monthly bill and turned off and pulled out all sorts of electrical stuff (bless her little heart), so I've go to reduce the bill or turn off more of my things.

Solar coming for one phase, but if we are being classed as a factory because of the 3 phase, maybe I can get this classification changed. Most important to keep SWMBO happy as we all know. ????

37 minutes ago, carlyai said:

So we pay B4.41/unit I think.

We have a domestic supply and pay approx. 4.24 per unit all up incl tax.

It was apparently uprated due to 3 air con units having been installed in the house.

Don't know if this helps any.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, carlyai said:

3 phase

We have the same and its the residential rate.

Nice bill for April.

Hottest month of the year.

Ours was a little over 5,000 and we were away for 10 days on holiday.

Air-conditioning struggles with the intense heat and humidity!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No you can’t just divide the total amount charged by the units used and get an accurate answer.

We've been through this previously.  The total bill divided by units used can be used for comparative purpose:  compared to previous bills, compared to others with similar usage.  Differences in total cost per unit will be in the fuel tax and applied (or lack of) discounts for similar usage.  PEA will accurately calculate the total amount based on their rate schedule and other factors.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

We've been through this previously.  The total bill divided by units used can be used for comparative purpose:  compared to previous bills, compared to others with similar usage.  Differences in total cost per unit will be in the fuel tax and applied (or lack of) discounts for similar usage.  PEA will accurately calculate the total amount based on their rate schedule and other factors.  

Naturally you can use a total amount paid an units used as a comparison. But as I pointed out this will not show that the unit cost of power has changed. The unit cost has not changed for about 4+ years possibly longer. The discounts and Ft rate changes not the kWh charge (at least not since 2018 at least)

To accurately and exactly compare unit prices you need to use the correct figures and understand the details, however if you just want to get an approximation then the basic cost decided by units is often good enough 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have an Excel spread sheet to check my Electricity Account. I have checked your USAGE vs the BAHT charged. The only difference is the standard MONTHLY fee charged. The normal fee should be 38.22 baht but you are being charged the small business fee amounting to 46.16 baht. Using the latter rate your bill is correct. You therefore, are only getting charged an extra 8.4958 baht(this includes VAT) a month.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Air-conditioning struggles with the intense heat and humidity!

What intense heat and humidity?

In the last 5 months my electricity is down about a third compared to the same period last year.

Last night we sat and watched the TV without the fans on, far less the aircon, T shirt weather this morning.

Unbelievable for this time of year.

• Like 1

We use on average 900kwh per month and inclusive of standing charges that works out at about 4.51Bht per kwh. That's a 4 storey shophouse unit with 5 a/c though they're not all in use.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What intense heat and humidity?

In the last 5 months my electricity is down about a third compared to the same period last year.

Last night we sat and watched the TV without the fans on, far less the aircon, T shirt weather this morning.

Unbelievable for this time of year.

It's great right now.

5 hours ago, carlyai said:

So we pay B4.41/unit I think.

Are we paying a factory rate?

Sounds about correct, I pay 4.54 baht per unit for 3-phase normal home rate, total 971 units last month.

Aus used to have the same sliding scale accounting arrangement for domestic but it was scrapped for a basic charge per unit many years ago.

There are still tarifs to deal with but usually a simple deal.

Commercial power, well that's another story completely.

Hopefully Thailand will follow suite one day.

Edited by bluejets

3 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

The FT is part of the unit cost and that has gone up.

If that is what you think then your opinion is different from the PEA.  

It is a charge calculated on the units used and the added or subtracted from the total units used cost. It is part of the total paid it does not change the cost of the individual units. If it did so then it would just be calculated in the units used. 

By your reasoning the meter charge should change the units cost, it doesn’t 

However as I said if you don’t need/want to be accurate about actual unit costs then the total bill and total units gives a reasonable basis for comparison.

[irony]So Shock! Horror! Gasp! The total bill has changed by a massive 3.9047247169% up after 4 years when it dropped by a tiny 3.6223036223%

This means that the real increase is an enormous 0.2824210946% the indignation. [/irony]

My bill has changed from B4.24/unit to B4.4/unit for two months now.  Almost 4% increase.  And my understanding is that the base rates will go up this month making it even more inflationary.  The total bill/units is the cost per unit for that bill.  End.

Edited by bankruatsteve
Corrected cost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

My bill has changed from B4.24/unit to B4.4/unit for two months now.  Almost 4% increase.  And my understanding is that the base rates will go up this month making it even more inflationary.  The total bill/units is the cost per unit for that bill.  End.

There is no indication that the base rates are changing, the Ft rate is changing.

The Total Base Tariff on a usage of 1,000kWh is 4,233.95 Baht in both April and May

on the same usage of 1,000kWh the April  Ft rate is ฿13.90 the May Ft rate is ฿247.70

So yes your bill is going up if your usage stays the same. No the base rates are not changing.

You may have noticed there is a war going on which is disruptive of fuel costs so that is reflected in the Ft rate

17 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Yes, really.

OK, you win. I do see where you are coming from.

As I noted, it's fine for comparison between bills with similar consumption, but trying to use it to compare someone who uses 100 units per month with someone who uses 2,000 is doomed to controversy.

I'm quite happy to use Baht/kWh, it's close enough for most of us and easy to calculate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

March last year it was -0.1532 Baht per unit, now it's +0.2477 Baht per unit (fixed until August I believe), that adjustment is enough to make a 10% change in the price of a base 4 Baht unit!

Exactly my point, go back a little further and you get variations that include -0.2477 and 0.0.

thus the FT rate is up and down like a yo-yo while the base charge remains static. 

It is understandable that people complain when the bill jumps up but say nothing when the bill drops. 

it is likely that taken overall this year’s increases are more than totally wiped out by the subsidies over the last 2 years. The past rebates may be enough to compensate for next year as well. 

FWIW the 100 to 1000 can be even more fun since over the last 2 years sometimes the 100 unit user didn’t pay anything at all

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/4/2022 at 12:57 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

As has been mentioned, no you are not on a higher tariff. No 3 phase is not a higher tariff (install cost is higher usage is not)

Also you are not paying 4.41 per unit, you are paying the amounts under on tariff 1.1.2.

No you can’t just divide the total amount charged by the units used and get an accurate answer.

The reason is that every private consumer pays exactly the same for the units they use (unless you use so little it’s free), but people think the price of electricity has been raised when it is just that they are using more at the over 400kWh rate. Naturally this will show as an increase in the average (and completely useless) cost per unit calculation.

The Ft rate has changed, it was negative last year it’s now positive, it’s a change of less than 100 Baht on your bill.

1CA9E314-0A9D-4E27-AF60-4BD9673EC707.thumb.jpeg.bf61afa98c83bfafe5f690be8fee00a6.jpeg

Yes the bill is correct, no you aren’t getting over charged.

83F54953-E98E-4F92-AFC5-279DA064BDBE.thumb.png.16d482ace5779cb1eec69e916c3022a8.png

https://eservice.pea.co.th/EstimateBill/#

our April usage was 639 units SWMBO requires that the garden and some outside lights are on for about 10 hours.

BIL was 215

Your pumps are the things using the power

FD1EAD19-9E53-4B40-AC2C-04225FFCF6F4.thumb.png.73d42f5fcb3ea541bd7d7c55527bfcb8.png

Thanks so much sometimes woodworker
Yes normally do not calculate my monthly bill but yes 3 ac's bump it up and yes today I asked pea on google and could work out the various tarifs to get my total usage amount and yes a sevice charge 38.22 and used 717 units up from June to July 16th and charged 717 at ft rate 0.2477 totalling 177.60 and not sure how they arrive at that figure apart from the total used and the rate.
Cheers all for claiffication

John West

On 5/6/2022 at 5:02 AM, Crossy said:

Not really, it's good enough for a quick comparison but the rate is variable by consumption and the Fuel Tariff changes regularly.

If you look on the bill you will find a line marked as Ft followed by a number and a total (the Ft rate x the number of units used).

This is the Fuel Tariff and is what they use to easily adjust the rate, I think it can vary every 3 months (could be wrong there).

March last year it was -0.1532 Baht per unit, now it's +0.2477 Baht per unit (fixed until August I believe), that adjustment is enough to make a 10% change in the price of a base 4 Baht unit!

Ft history is here https://www.pea.co.th/ความรู้เกี่ยวกับไฟฟ้า/ค่าFT

Crossy can understand the extra charge in my case 717 units used in June/ July 2022 at 0.2477.
this can change up or down and appears this is going up in September?

43 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Thanks so much woodworker and others
Yes normally do not calculate my monthly bill but yes 3 ac's bump it up and yes today I asked pea on google and could work out the various tarifs to get my total usage amount and yes a sevice charge 38.22 and used 717 units up from June to July 16th and charged 717 at ft rate 0.2477 totalling 177.60 and not sure how they arrive at that figure apart from the total used and the rate.

John West

1 hour ago, jwest10 said:

Thanks so much sometimes woodworker

John West

The FT amount is an extremely simple calculation and is how EGAT balances its costs.
Total units used = 717 * FT rate of ฿0.2477 = ฿177.6009 and the result is added to your bill

in 2017 it was at -37.29 stang so for the same bill -฿267.3693

in 2010 ฿92.55 so ฿663.5835

85213796-4429-4A4C-8507-81A1BA1653C1.thumb.png.54697df8a7e2d679881b144e1558f516.png

Statistics.pdf

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The FT amount is an extremely simple calculation and is how EGAT balances its costs.
Total units used = 717 * FT rate of ฿0.2477 = ฿177.6009 and the result is added to your bill

in 2017 it was at -37.29 stang so for the same bill -฿267.3693

in 2010 ฿92.55 so ฿663.5835

85213796-4429-4A4C-8507-81A1BA1653C1.thumb.png.54697df8a7e2d679881b144e1558f516.png

Statistics.pdf 4.04 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks so much sometimewoodworker

Thanks for very informative post and yea lol figured this out eventually and managed to follow the various tariffs and we await the increase figures of ft in due course.