Wi-fi repeater recommendations

NanLaew

Looking for recommendations for a robust and reliable dual-band wi-fi repeater (2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz). My Huawei and Cisco modem/routers are already at the front of the house but only have internal antennas. I need to boost the signal to my new man cave about 15 meters away. There's some metal reinforced sheetrock in the car port roof that's in between the routers and the shed and it's killing the signal, especially the 5 Ghz.

Plenty choices on lazada from generic, no-name units from 650 baht and up to more expensive ones for 1000 baht more.

I have a preference for ASUS but have used TP-Link stuff before. Not a big fan of Netgear.

Thanks in advance.

NL

I'd run CAT6 cable and install a secondary router or AP via a GbE connection. a 1,500 baht secondary router will be fine, unless you need to run a VPN on it.

Some of the MESH-capable routers might work for you? FIBER ISPs here offer these, often a pair free on a new install.

As the frequency goes up the coverage goes down, hence the 5GHz challenges.

I had couple of those cheap generic ones they were fit for the purpose intended.

But I did what @mtls2005 suggests, my router couldn't handle the number of smarthome devices on the network, the old (still quite expensive) TP-Link router kept on failing, so I got a 3 pack TP-Link Deco M9 mesh system.

I did use them as intended, allowing one to route traffic and two to act as satellites, but now use 2 of them in access point mode - I will change to Unify APs at one stage but the decos work so efficiently, I forget my plans to upgrade.

19 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Thanks for that. Very familiar with this stuff and used it in US and UK.

Reading reviews on lazada indicates that these were not as successful as they are in other countries. Since Thai domestic wiring can be questionable, mine especially, I wouldn't like to invest 2000 baht for an ineffective solution.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I'd run CAT6 cable and install a secondary router or AP via a GbE connection. a 1,500 baht secondary router will be fine, unless you need to run a VPN on it.

Some of the MESH-capable routers might work for you? FIBER ISPs here offer these, often a pair free on a new install.

As the frequency goes up the coverage goes down, hence the 5GHz challenges.

Looking at running Cat6 line that won't get driven over, cut or otherwise damaged as it traverses the rather busy gap between buildings.

I have also considered getting a separate AIS Fiber service installed with all the meshy stuff it comes with.

7 hours ago, recom273 said:

I had couple of those cheap generic ones they were fit for the purpose intended.

But I did what @mtls2005 suggests, my router couldn't handle the number of smarthome devices on the network, the old (still quite expensive) TP-Link router kept on failing, so I got a 3 pack TP-Link Deco M9 mesh system.

I did use them as intended, allowing one to route traffic and two to act as satellites, but now use 2 of them in access point mode - I will change to Unify APs at one stage but the decos work so efficiently, I forget my plans to upgrade.

Cleaning out the old shed and I have a 10 year-old TP-Link ADSL modem/router that I may be able to reconfigure as an AP and even give me a LAN. I also have the old 3BB modem/router made by ZTE but they usually have bespoke 3BB firmware and can't easily be made 'generic'.

• Like 1

My sister in the US has an 1860s 4 story brick townhouse with interior brick walls.  She rents some upper rooms on AirBNB and was having a very difficult time providing wifi to the rented units.  Her router (Comcast) was actually half way down a basement stairway.  She tried a number of repeater solutions including using the building wiring but nothing worked consistently. 

I was visiting and did some research.  Google had just come out with their MESH system and it looked like it could be the answer.  I bought a setup with a base module and three wireless "Pods", one to go on each floor, about $200.00  Set-up was easy.

It worked amazingly well.  Near full signal strength in every room on every floor, even areas that never got a hint of a signal before.   

That was 4 years ago and it's still working fine.

Most of the major router manufacturers now have various MESH systems so I'm sure there are models available here if the GOOGLE system is not available.  Both 2.4 & 5 G worked well.

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Looking at running Cat6 line that won't get driven over, cut or otherwise damaged as it traverses the rather busy gap between buildings.

Conduit and / or ducting.  Not on the ground.  Come out of the roof.  

40 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

+1, but in bridge mode.  

Meh.

Leave the primary (ISP) router as is.

Use Access Point Mode on the secondary router.

Plug and play. Zero configuration/maintenance/issues.

This is the set-up we use for all installs.

Now if you have more esoteric application requirements then maybe these call more unique solutions.

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Cleaning out the old shed and I have a 10 year-old TP-Link ADSL modem/router that I may be able to reconfigure as an AP and even give me a LAN. I also have the old 3BB modem/router made by ZTE but they usually have bespoke 3BB firmware and can't easily be made 'generic'.

Bin this trash.

14 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Meh.

Leave the primary (ISP) router as is.

Use Access Point Mode on the secondary router.

Plug and play. Zero configuration/maintenance/issues.

This is the set-up we use for all installs.

Now if you have more esoteric application requirements then maybe these call more unique solutions.

Bin this trash.

I have no problem with your suggestion, however, decent Man Caves require esoteric applications.

It's a Man Cave, not a kitchen. ????  

Edited by KhunHeineken

5 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

It's a Man Cave, not a kitchen. ????

Yeah, if you say so. The OP didn't mention much in the way of applications, other than internet access.

The whole bridge mode thing was a thing ~ 10 years ago. Now? Meh.

13 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Conduit and / or ducting.  Not on the ground.  Come out of the roof.  

Yeah, I know but that means loft and attic access on two buildings of a different height with dissimilar roof styles. Can be done but I would want it to look neat and tidy and the local artisans don't do neat and tidy.  I'm too big and heavy to do neat and tidy roof space DIY.

Plus it started raining...

13 hours ago, mtls2005 said:
On 5/6/2022 at 4:44 PM, NanLaew said:

Bin this trash.

Relocated the computers into the new shed and while the sun was shining, there was just enough 2.4G to connect and stream. However, it was at-best 1 bar and when it started raining it wouldn't connect at all. The laptop isn't a problem (big ol' antenna wrapped around inside the screen) but the PC with it's single antenna about 3 inches off the floor, not a hope.

Among my 'trash', I also found an ancient ASUS pocket AP and I managed to remember how to reconfigure it as an ethernet adapter. It had no issues with detecting all the 2.4G signals including my couple so picked the strongest one, set up passwords and BINGO!.. the PC has an ethernet connection. The link is only good for 54Mbps (it's twenty years old already) but that's fine for starters.