Mattress Topper - any recommendations?

aldriglikvid

Hi guys, 

I'm looking for a topper that can make me bed just a little bit more softer ???? Any specific names/models that you guys are satisfied with?

I'm staying in this current condo for only 3 months hence a highly expensive AAA-topper is not economically doable, I'm afraid - but I do see that Shopee/Lazada have several in the below 2k category.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:20 AM, aldriglikvid said:

I'm looking for a topper that can make me bed just a little bit more softer

I wud suggest a girlfriend or the wife. Either one is fine. ????

If you get a big bird - then more padding, so more comfort. ????

Just now, 1FinickyOne said:

once you get a topper, do you need all new sheet sets to cover the added volume? 

No, not really. The topper goes directly on the mattress, then mattress protector, then fitted sheet, should all fit with current bedding They really do transform your bed, it's like sleeping in a 5 star hotel

Got mine from Lazada, I think the brand name was Thames

• Thanks 1

I bought one from Lazada, the seller is in China, it was only cheap, about 250B

I have just bought two new dunlopilo mattresses (like this memory foam / spring hybrid) and was enjoying the firm experience, but the wife wanted some kind of topper / protector on top to preserve the life of the mattress. Although the toppers are only thin, they really make the bed quite soft, It's not to my liking (but not a lot I can do), it might suit your needs.

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

once you get a topper, do you need all new sheet sets to cover the added volume? 

We bought a 'Tempur Memory Foam' topper over 20 years ago. Expensive, but the best sleeping investment I ever made. It's as comfortable today as the day we bought it. And no, no new sheets needed.

The latex sellers try to tell us that the memory foam only lasts a few years, but if you get the good stuff, it lasts damn near forever!

9 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

We bought a 'Tempur Memory Foam' topper over 20 years ago. Expensive, but the best sleeping investment I ever made. It's as comfortable today as the day we bought it. And no, no new sheets needed.

The latex sellers try to tell us that the memory foam only lasts a few years, but if you get the good stuff, it lasts damn near forever!

Sadly.......... 

When you bought your topper, Tempurpedic had a 20-year warranty and they built their beds for that. The density of the foam (measured in the U.S. as lbs. per cubic foot) was significantly higher than it is today. Generally speaking, density =, durability. 

Today, their warranty is only 10-years......... and they're building their beds for THAT! (Using newer, lower density foam). 

As it turns out, the topper you would have bought 20-years ago was even denser than the foam they used in their mattresses. So I'm not surprised at its longevity!

(They weren't made as a consumer item but as a medical item. Thus, they were "over-built." Consumers could buy them, obviously, but 20-years ago, the toppers were only slightly less expensive then whole mattresses. As a dealer---one of the first 200 independents in the U.S.---I paid only $50 less for a topper versus a mattress, even though the "suggested selling price" was more than $400 less. Consequently, I rarely told anyone about Tempur-Pedic toppers! ????????????)

Today's Tempur-Pedic toppers are nowhere close to the quality of what you bought 20-years ago! They are about half the density they used to be, and they are made and packaged specifically for the consumer, assuming at best a 3 - 5 year replacement cycle.

And today, they are quite pricey compared to other, equal or superior, "memory foam" toppers. 

Their beds still rock, though, even if they've downgraded them over the last two decades.

But consumer-grade toppers---including Tempur-Pedic's current crop---are considered 1- to 2-year max throw-away items.

They are viewed..... and consequently built....... as nothing but a stop-gap---a bandaid---that someone buys to salvage a little life out of a wrong or broken-down mattress.......... before spending money to buy a new, "correct" mattress later!

-----------------

Of course, the OP's got the right idea. Only plans to use it 3-months, anyway!

Cheers!

• Love It 1

On 5/10/2022 at 8:32 PM, hughrection said:

I wud suggest a girlfriend or the wife. Either one is fine. ????

If you get a big bird - then more padding, so more comfort. ????

I think the OP will find your suggestion is a lot more expensive than Lazada, irrespective of whether it is short term or long term.

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2022 at 3:47 PM, recom273 said:

I bought one from Lazada, the seller is in China, it was only cheap, about 250B

I have just bought two new dunlopilo mattresses (like this memory foam / spring hybrid) and was enjoying the firm experience, but the wife wanted some kind of topper / protector on top to preserve the life of the mattress. Although the toppers are only thin, they really make the bed quite soft, It's not to my liking (but not a lot I can do), it might suit your needs.

You should have just bought a topper for her side. Then when she rolls over, straight on top ……………