Purachai Is Bangkok's Favourite For Pm

george

Purachai is Bangkok's favourite for PM

post-128-1182078856.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Purachai Piumsomboon, former deputy prime minister who resigned from Thai politics in January 2005, has emerged as the favourite choice for prime minister in a survey conducted by the Abac Poll.

The Assumption University survey – better known as the Abac Poll – interviewed 1,750 Thais and 558 foreigners in Bangkok and surrounding areas. It found that 41.7 per cent of the respondents wanted Mr. Purachai, dubbed "Mr. Clean" for his staunch anti-corruption line while served during the first term of prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, to become the new prime minister. [more...]

--Bangkok Post 2007-06-17

It is interesting that people favor someone outside of politics with a clean image and not linked to TRT (since he left) or the Junta.

Purachai number one and Anand number 2. Both outside the party politcal system. Politicians havent exactly been acting in a way to impress people recently.

It is interesting that people favor someone outside of politics with a clean image and not linked to TRT (since he left) or the Junta.

Purachai number one and Anand number 2. Both outside the party politcal system. Politicians havent exactly been acting in a way to impress people recently.

558 foreiners knew this guy ? yer right <_<

558 foreiners knew this guy ? yer right <_<

The thing here is that anyone who was here in 2001 and watched the late night side of Bangkok life disappear probably does know the name. {There's also the play on words with his name leading to 'Puritanical'}

My concern however, is much wider ranging, in that as effective interior minister {in charge of 'Social Policy'} he was much more central to TRT policies, further, he spent quite a while polishing his image before 'returning' very publicly from NZ. His links to Thaksin go way back, review the SU for example.

He quit TRT after being mooted as the next leader, in part because Thaksin was unhappy with someone other then him getting the limelight. Purachai was & is very popular. As I posted on the night of the verdict he was one of the winners that day.

But, despite the image, there is, in my view, and to borrow a phrase from British politics 'something of the night about him'.

Let's hope I'm wrong, but I was telling people back in '99 that TRT was a concerning development.

Regards

/edit typo //

Edited by A_Traveller

If Puritanical ever becomes prime minister, bye bye night life in Thailand as we know it, although all the bible bashers and moral police will probably be happy.

Just think back to what happened in Manilla, and i bet they thought it would never happen.

If Puritanical ever becomes prime minister, bye bye night life in Thailand as we know it, although all the bible bashers and moral police will probably be happy.

Just think back to what happened in Manilla, and i bet they thought it would never happen.

So does this mean there will be a push for Chuwit to be next PM?

So does this mean there will be a push for Chuwit to be next PM?

He'd get my vote.

Chuwit is the obvious "opposite" to Purachai, but equally too extreme.

God help us if Purachai does resurrect himself. We'll only be allowed to leave home to either go to work or visit a temple and have to be in bed by 9pm.

Tourists will only be granted visas based on their itinerary of temple and cultural show visits.

What gets me though with Purachai is the focus on "entertainment" but no real consideration of the underlying factors in Thai society which make it all happen......poverty, low education, single mothers, mia nois, etc, etc.

If the guy really wanted to improve Thailand he could start with members of parliament and other so called respectable people who set the example for others to follow.

Without this Purachai is just another vote grabber using a scapegoat issue to further his own political career which, on this agenda, will only divide thai society further and fix nothing....another would be emperor in new clothes same as Toxin.

Edit: the only good thing Purachai did was leave TRT.

Edited by sibeymai

post-128-1182078856.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Purachai Piumsomboon, former deputy prime minister who resigned from Thai politics in January 2005, has emerged as the favourite choice for prime minister in a survey conducted by the Abac Poll.

The Assumption University survey – better known as the Abac Poll – interviewed 1,750 Thais and 558 foreigners in Bangkok and surrounding areas. It found that 41.7 per cent of the respondents wanted Mr. Purachai, dubbed "Mr. Clean" for his staunch anti-corruption line while served during the first term of prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, to become the new prime minister. [more...]

So you have 41.7% of the respondents wanting Purachai, 37.7% wanting Anand and 34.6% wanting Abhisit.

That totals 114% of the respondents on my calculator.

post-128-1182078856.jpg

:o:D:D:D:D:bah::bah::o

I'm reluctant to criticise powerful individuals in Thailand, especially if they could become Prime Minister, but I have to make an exception here.

This is the guy who thought his role as Interior Misister was to visit night-clubs and bars "in person" and close them down for minor breaches of his puritanical views. Instead of being the man who makes policy he wanted to be the man in jack boots kicking the doors in.

On one occasion in his role as Interior Minister he travelled south to Phuket from Bangkok, visited a very respectable "no-nonsense" music venue and closed it down. Why? Because a farang couple were moving to the music. Not "dancing", just "moving" in rhythm to the music and the place did not have a dancing licence. If he ever becomes Prime Minister there won't be a farang left in Thailand and Thailand as we know it will be a thing of the past, not only for farangs but for Thais also.

Put him in charge of a corrections home for delinquents or something. In charge of a country? No way.

I have never subscribed to the "if they do this I'll go" mentality, but if this man ever becomes Prime Minister I'll be on the next plane out after 12 years here.

Tell me its a joke someone, please.

I'm reluctant to criticise powerful individuals in Thailand, especially if they could become Prime Minister, but I have to make an exception here.

This is the guy who thought his role as Interior Misister was to visit night-clubs and bars "in person" and close them down for minor breaches of his puritanical views. Instead of being the man who makes policy he wanted to be the man in jack boots kicking the doors in.

On one occasion in his role as Interior Minister he travelled south to Phuket from Bangkok, visited a very respectable "no-nonsense" music venue and closed it down. Why? Because a farang couple were moving to the music. Not "dancing", just "moving" in rhythm to the music and the place did not have a dancing licence. If he ever becomes Prime Minister there won't be a farang left in Thailand and Thailand as we know it will be a thing of the past, not only for farangs but for Thais also.

Put him in charge of a corrections home for delinquents or something. In charge of a country? No way.

I have never subscribed to the "if they do this I'll go" mentality, but if this man ever becomes Prime Minister I'll be on the next plane out after 12 years here.

Tell me its a joke someone, please.

It's a joke.

It's all a joke. Whoever is PM, the wheel will keep turning and the earth will keep spinning. Thailand will keep developing. A few irate farangs will not stop anything happening in Thailand if it is the will of the people that matters most.

Blah blah blah.

Goodnight.

Edited by Sunderland

I'm not sure that Purachai would be allowed to get a PM's seat here, due to all the entertainment revenue that his policies would affect...? Bangkok people of the middle classes seem to like him however... His starchy morals are at least morals to some.

Ok we know realistically Purachai will not become PM but who do people think will be the next PM?

I guess options are in no particular order, and ignoring the fact that some are currently banned (which could change):

Banharn

Abhisit

Sonthi

Thaksin

Chaturon

Somkid

Surayud

Chavalit

A.N. other

Purachai has no chance of going anywhere in politics. He's an aloof man without any political base. He has a better chance as a senator.

Exactly. He is not a team player which you have to be if you are part of party politics. He could be appointed, but then who would appoint him if he couldn't be controlled? The senate would be perfect for him.

How accurate are these Assumption University surveys anyway?

Normally ABAC does a good job, but in this one 24% of the people sampled in Bangkok can't vote. Other than for discussion purposes on places like TV, I can't see where this poll adds any value.

Ok we know realistically Purachai will not become PM but who do people think will be the next PM?

I guess options are in no particular order, and ignoring the fact that some are currently banned (which could change):

Banharn

Abhisit

Sonthi

Thaksin

Chaturon

Somkid

Surayud

Chavalit

A.N. other

Add Dr. Supachai's name to the list as it comes up from time to time.

For me, Abhisit or Somkid (assuming his position changes). If the desire is business as usual, then its Banharn.

I was siiting in a bar in Bkk with a friend from Australia when the coup went down last year. I'm sitting there re-joicing. My friend sat there, pondered for the whole evening & then came out with the prophetic words - "Better the devil you know". followed by - "What would happen to the Thailand we all know if that meat head Purachai becomes the next PM?"

Well, here we are 9 months down the track & the rumours are flying.

If Purachai gets in - Thailand will be back in the stone age under his moral guidance.

No disco.

No bar.

No massage.

Drinking 30 years of age.

Closing time for all establishements 9pm.

Lights out by 10pm - no exceptions.

Tourist trade - Don't worry about that - If they want to come to Thailand they'll do as their told.

Soundman.

There's a lot more to Thailand than that.

I'm with Siripon - he has no political base, the best he can do is to run for Senate or Bangkok governor where people's opinion will matter.

Don't forget - under Thai system people do not vote for PM, he is selected by politicians, not the people.

I don't think Purachai could be productive as a PM and has no chance of attaining that post....on the other hand I see a lot of misconceptions being spread here on this thread about him....and most of these seem to be based on how he did his job upholding the law of the land. Many people then blamed him for his closing entertainment establishments just like people now who seem to be echoing the same. Purachai what I think is an excellent reply to them then so I will echo it now. Purachai did not make the laws that he enforced....all he did was to fairly enforce the laws that were already in existence...and he stated then that if anyone doesn't like the laws then they should get politically active and change them...and after they were changed he would fairly enforce them in their changed form. Purachai is as far as I can tell an honest and honerable man who did a positively wonderful job of enforcing the law of the land fairly and evenly. It seems like alot of people then and now really don't want honest people in the gov't...it seems that alot of people then and now want corrupt officials and politicians who take bribes instead of enforcing the laws fairly and equallly....seems like those people then and now actully represent the major evil of Thai politics...corruption....seems like people then and now support one of the major evils of society...corruption. Really is it sort of frightening to see so many people condemning the only honest man I've seen in Thai gov't and asking for someone more corrupt.

The question was asked as to who would appoint Purachai to any post since he is not able to be manipulated.....the answer to this is Toxin.....probably the best thing about the Toxin regime was its admittedly minor association with Purachai.

Hats off to Purachai, an honest man who did his job fairly and equitably and refused to lower himself to the pits of corruption!!!!!

HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY!

Chownah

• 2 months later...

Purachai Piumsomboon is the only greatest leader Thailand has ever had. You people should feel so blessed to have such an amazing man to lead, guide and serve this country.

Reading your selfish "night-life forever" comments, I think you are the rubbish of my country and I think you are doing nothing but drag my country down.

I have the most incredible respect for this hardworking man and I know for a fact, he does it because he loves our country.

So if you dislike him because he loves something you take for granted, all of you who oppose him should just move to a different country.

I DON'T WANT TRASH IN MY COUNTRY. Get out and do not ever disrespect the ONLY man who has great ability to lead this country to a greater future.

You should be ashamed and Purachai Piumsomboon is the only ray of hope for Thailand to escape the wrong routes.

Is a good way for them to get rid of the unwanted foreign sex tourists though ..................

Other way , Thailand will get more boring for many , so less attractive holiday destination. Not that I need night life to feel comfortable however .