200 Filipino Teachers Sent to Thailand, 100,000 Positions Available in Japan

Up to 200 Filipino teachers who are fluent in English are needed in Thailand, according to a report by GMA News' "Unang Balita" on Wednesday.

According to the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), the transaction for hiring English teachers is government to government, so applicants do not have to go through the agency and there is no placement fee.

It is said that the monthly salary of the recipients will be up to 19,000 baht. - gmanetwork

DOLE Announces Japan's Need for 100,000 Workers from the Philippines by April. Around 100,000 jobs may be offered to qualified Filipino workers through the Japan government's new immigration scheme, as shared in a report by GMA News Online. - GMA News Online

Edited by markclover

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

So seeking cheap labour?

Offering opportunities, badly needed opportunities to workers from different countries to meet the need of skills shortages. Many expat workers get  more than the locals. Travelling to work  around the world has been going on for  hundreds of years and is an established part of working  practices which  built  empires, helped build the  USA, Australia and is fundamental to Europe too. The total population  of Dubai could not meet  its job requirements- same with Kuwait. Expat workers often get paid more than they would back in their  home country.

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

They're paid criminally low here in the LOS. They get a bad rap. Some of them are quite good. So much so, that they're getting J1 teaching visas to enter the US, given the severe teacher shortage there at the moment.

More power to them. I just hope they don't grab all the openings. After my latest contract extension, that's where I'll be headed with my Thai wife next year.

Screenshot_20220427_095734.jpg

Yes.  A number of the Filipino teachers I supervised in Thailand are now working in the US and quite a few more have applied.  

• Like 1

There is a severe shortages of teachers and nurses in the USA now. Of course the high end jobs like lawyers, engineers, CEOs, marketing, and doctors are all filled by Indians and Forbes estimate the 50% American CEOs will be first generation Indian-American by 2030. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

19,000 THB a month for teachers of English language? ☹️

Minimum wage in the Philippines is 420 peso a day.

Put in perspective , for them at least , 19,000 baht is not so bad, especially considering the cost of living here and Thailand being a member of Asean.

Philippinos  are exploited as soon as they work outside the Philippines. They put up with it since high salaries are hard to find at home.

Also I think , safer to work here than a middle eastern country plus a lot closer to home.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Is it really cheap compared to what the Thais are paid?

Yes, it is.

Especially when you consider the Filipinos will be on a similar amount for many years. Will not have free Healthcare for them and their families, will not get cheap loans, a pension, chance of promotion and further pay rises.

A Thai teacher with 20 years under their belt earns more than the regular 32k a month native English speakers get. Not forgetting the add on they get too.

Edited by puchooay

On 5/6/2022 at 10:23 PM, BangkokReady said:

What does the rate have to do with the subject being taught?

Supply and demand.  Science teachers get higher salaries because there is a shortage of qualified science teachers.  The same reason why doctors earn a decent salary.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2022 at 8:49 AM, cyril sneer said:

I think schools will eventually replace farangs with Filipinos, using covid as an excuse to parents

More money in the directors pocket 

That's happening already. Many farang teachers have been leaving Thailand for China and Vietnam. Thailand has its eyes squarely on Filipinos.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 5:23 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Expat workers often get paid more than they would back in their  home country

Agree.  Also, in many instances (at least in my overseas jobs), there is the US tax exempt status that made it more beneficial.

I knew many Filipino teachers.  Reliable, generally nice, energetic on the whole.

90 percent not happy with open discrimination.  100 percent made TONS of errors when writing and speaking.  Teaching kids probably OK, even if wrong.   Not really okay, but whatever.  Some had to repeat everything, so they quit talking in English to other teachers.

20000 a month horrible , but schools care about money.   Needs to change.

If you care, only NES and pay way more for real teachers.   Until that happens……

On 6/19/2022 at 8:05 AM, Iamfalang said:

If you care, only NES and pay way more for real teachers.   Until that happens……

I was always taught English, as well as other subjects, by non-native English speakers and I turned out fine and professionally adequate in English. Thailand needs competent teachers, not necessarily NES.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 11:10 AM, Onerak said:

There is a severe shortages of teachers and nurses in the USA now. Of course the high end jobs like lawyers, engineers, CEOs, marketing, and doctors are all filled by Indians and Forbes estimate the 50% American CEOs will be first generation Indian-American by 2030. 

Follow the numbers.  With a billion or so people, there are a right good number of very smart people ready and willing to work.