How Much For A Single Bed Flat In Muang, Phuket?

hugekebab

hi guys.

hopefully im going to be moving over the phuket in the next couple of months. im going to teach english. im probably getting 30000 baht a month.

few questions

how much is a single bed apartment with air con thats half decent?

what is the best way to get the said apartment (are there estate agents for locals and different for the tourism industry?

how easily can i live on 30000 baht; will it be easy to go out on weekends and live relatively comfortably (i dont need a maid or any post colonial cr8p like that)

Thanks in advance for the help.

hi guys.

hopefully im going to be moving over the phuket in the next couple of months. im going to teach english. im probably getting 30000 baht a month.

few questions

how much is a single bed apartment with air con thats half decent?

what is the best way to get the said apartment (are there estate agents for locals and different for the tourism industry?

how easily can i live on 30000 baht; will it be easy to go out on weekends and live relatively comfortably (i dont need a maid or any post colonial cr8p like that)

Thanks in advance for the help.

With 30,000 you will live well! You will be able to rent a small house 6-10,000 baht 1 month, price depends where you are on the island, best way to find it, get here to the area you want to live in, find a hotel, talk to the people, hire a m/c and ride around You will find I am sure what you need , Good luck :o

Please consider doing a budget. You may not want to consider "post colonial cr*p" now, but after a month of running around and wasting time trying to get errands done, you'll gladly consider hiring a local to help out. When you budget, consider things like electricity, water, internet & cable access. Add in transportation. After a month of rubbing your bum raw with single ply sandpaper you'll be running to carrefour to splurge on quilted 2 ply. All the little things add up.. B30K before tax and expenses will be challenging unless you are prepared. Phuket is expensive now. if you need clothes and stuff, buy it all in BKK and save 25-40%.

You'll have a few ups and downs the first couple of months so you may need to take an emergency break somewhere. Put some cash aside for that. Most importantly be sure to get proper health insurance. Scrapes and cuts have a terrible habit of becoming raging infections with young westerners. I've seen some horrible wounds that turned evil in the space of 48 hrs. because the people didn't react fast enough.

One last thing, have fun :o

You can make much more money teaching english in china.

You can live in Phuket on 30000 bht a month but you wont enjoy many western comforts.

Living like a thai person you will be fine. You will have to live in Phuket town and shop in local markets and not drink.

I spend 30000 a month just on booze and broads! :o

I will give you a breakdown:

7,000 -decent resident (long-term contract)

3,000 -utilities

3,000 -transportation (whethere you have bike or pay to go around)

10,000 -Meals 3 times a day

5,000 -laundry, medical, Grocery....

---------------------------------------------

28,000 Bhat at least

30k Bhat isn't enough to have good life in phuket, you will be constantly struggling to save little money and forget partying, drinking , movies, club/gym membership or living with a partner.

I say add another 10k-15k from your pocket or other source of income, you will see lot of differance.

Edited by BKKDUDE

Could not agree more with borracho. Over the years many folks have asked me how much they need a month to live on Phuket. I consider 40,000 baht/month the minimum to just get by in a very modest lifestyle. 60,000 baht gives a basic western lifestyle. At least 80,000 baht month to rent nice house, have motorbike & car, able to party from time to time. :D

BTW, you won't (easily) qualify for a work permit on 30,000 baht/month. Or do you intend to work without one..... not a good idea !! :o

Could not agree more with borracho. Over the years many folks have asked me how much they need a month to live on Phuket. I consider 40,000 baht/month the minimum to just get by in a very modest lifestyle. 60,000 baht gives a basic western lifestyle. At least 80,000 baht month to rent nice house, have motorbike & car, able to party from time to time. :D

BTW, you won't (easily) qualify for a work permit on 30,000 baht/month. Or do you intend to work without one..... not a good idea !! :o

60,000 Bhat is more than enough to live better than avarge guy living in Europe. As an expat (without family) spending 80,000, you get closer to being a thai ATM or into luxery stuff.

I think local experiance along with "age" also plays a big factor to expense in phuket

Many newbies in Thailand have no idea about the costs of a live-in girlfriend. I recently met a guy just settled in Thailand about 5 weeks. Picked up a 'working' girl at a bar, thought that she was cleaning the house, cooking, and sharing the bed because she liked him. Thought that supplying a roof over her head, food, and living expenses was a good deal. Knew that she had a kiddie up noth staying with the grandparents. After 5 weeks she asked for some money (20,000 baht) to send home. He was shocked and upset, and kicked her out. This guy has a lot to learn about Thailand. :o

After 5 weeks she asked for some money (20,000 baht) to send home. He was shocked and upset, and kicked her out. This guy has a lot to learn about Thailand. :D

Did he paid her anything after all?

There are so many dumb farang coming to patong for every reason "Tiger" disco DJ always shouts: No Money ...NO Honey.. :o

Listen to these guys my friend. Most of the advice given in these type of forum 'help/advice' type affairs is 80% tosh but nearly everbody who replied to this is spot on. A few years ago, you would get by on it -with a little for weekend outings. Now, since the tsunami, prices have rocketed in nearly every area of general living. There's been about a 10% inflationary rise in 2 years here (food etc) which equates to 3000 grand on your 30000 and Thai's don't link anything like they would in europe so don't expect a rise after a chat with the school owner!!

You'll get by but that's about it! In Bangkok it's a lot better and 45-50k (if your clued up) but if it isn't for you (city life and all that) I seriously consider somewhere else.

Regards

Mak

Many newbies in Thailand have no idea about the costs of a live-in girlfriend. I recently met a guy just settled in Thailand about 5 weeks. Picked up a 'working' girl at a bar, thought that she was cleaning the house, cooking, and sharing the bed because she liked him. Thought that supplying a roof over her head, food, and living expenses was a good deal. Knew that she had a kiddie up noth staying with the grandparents. After 5 weeks she asked for some money (20,000 baht) to send home. He was shocked and upset, and kicked her out. This guy has a lot to learn about Thailand. :D

I spent a couple of hours explaining the 'rules of the game' and some true stories. Also gave him some educational material to read, books like 'Bangkok Lady' & 'Butterfly'. After some reflection, he invited her back, and gave her some money (?) to send home. No he has to factor this into his already tight budget. A happy ending to the story, for now :o

Listen to these guys my friend. Most of the advice given in these type of forum 'help/advice' type affairs is 80% tosh but nearly everbody who replied to this is spot on. A few years ago, you would get by on it -with a little for weekend outings. Now, since the tsunami, prices have rocketed in nearly every area of general living. There's been about a 10% inflationary rise in 2 years here (food etc) which equates to 3000 grand on your 30000 and Thai's don't link anything like they would in europe so don't expect a rise after a chat with the school owner!!

You'll get by but that's about it! In Bangkok it's a lot better and 45-50k (if your clued up) but if it isn't for you (city life and all that) I seriously consider somewhere else.

Regards

Mak

Don't really agree with that post. Home rental prices have not really increased, guest house rates less in low season, motor bike rental prices have decreased, bar prices much the same, with many more happy hour deals, and supermarket prices much the same. Fuel has gone up a lot, but I don't see a 10% increase in my costs.

I definitely see the 10% increase, even at the local market the prices are up and Phuket is a lot more expensive than Bangkok or anywwhere else in Thailand..

30,000 Baht is going to be a struggle and if you are new here probably impossible to get by on for any length of time whilst having fun. In fact thats a pretty poor salary for a teacher, let alone in Phuket. Some of our Thai staff earn nearly that much money and still struggle.

I definitely see the 10% increase, even at the local market the prices are up and Phuket is a lot more expensive than Bangkok or anywwhere else in Thailand..

30,000 Baht is going to be a struggle and if you are new here probably impossible to get by on for any length of time whilst having fun. In fact thats a pretty poor salary for a teacher, let alone in Phuket. Some of our Thai staff earn nearly that much money and still struggle.

Usually the biggest single monthly expense (other than girlfriend/boyfriend) for most foreign residents is housing rental . I'm in the home rental business and I don't see any or much increase in rental prices on older properties. Sure, new places coming on the market are more expensive, but usually are of a better standard than older places. Have things like full kitchens, well furnished, hot & cold water, internet, cable TV, & parking.

OK - well lets say conservatively he can get a condo for 5k baht, It would still be hard to live on 25k baht a month once you take into account; electricity, medical care, visa runs (every 3 months, his salary doesn't allow a yearly visa), laundry, transport, clothing and of course food - and thats before he's had any fun.

:o I agree AND disagree with most of the posters here.

A newbie might have trouble on 30k a month. If however he does ok finding a place to live and budgets for a few more major up front expenses .. then 30k a month is fine! Buy a bike and a TV and a fridge .. and maybe a decent mattress up front. If the OP can find some of the teachers on the island or get help from the school finding decent low cost husing then it will all be fine.

(however if he doesn't ride a motorcycle ... well ... it could be a bit more problematic!)

I'd hazard to say a 1 room (or small one bedroom apartment in Phukettown) would be less than 5000/mo

3000/mo for highspeed internet/phone/basic cable and electricity and water

3600/mo for meals (assuming Thai food .. lunch at work etc ... eating western should go into entertainment budget)

1000/mo for fuel for the bike

2000/mo or less for laundry etc (mine runs about 1600)

So the basics are covered for about 15k a month

up front costs .....

30-40k for a bike (10-20k used)

7k for a fridge

10-20k for a television (cheaper used)

6k for a good mattress

4k in deposits for phone/cable etc

assuming he's not drinking (out) every night ... is under 30 .... and avoids Patong he's in quite good shape on 30k a month if he can handle the associated costs with getting set up.

OK - well lets say conservatively he can get a condo for 5k baht, It would still be hard to live on 25k baht a month once you take into account; electricity, medical care, visa runs (every 3 months, his salary doesn't allow a yearly visa), laundry, transport, clothing and of course food - and thats before he's had any fun.

You really think he can get a half decent place, in a semi decent area, with air con for 5,000 baht/month ? I don't think so :o

Really?

We have four Thai staff and the highest wage for one of them ( programmer) is just short of 20K a month. They all seem to do OK.

30K for a Thai wage seems to be a lot........... and they "struggle" on that?

Hop in your car ... drive to Phukettown ... and stop at the first 4 apartment buildings you seee that look decent ... have keycard entry and security .... Ask for a one bedroom unit or a studio .... you'll find some!

Really?

We have four Thai staff and the highest wage for one of them ( programmer) is just short of 20K a month. They all seem to do OK.

30K for a Thai wage seems to be a lot........... and they "struggle" on that?

Some people have troubles with budgeting ...... and some people work for employers that listen to them say they are broke at the end of the month and make loans ... or remember when bonus time comes around!

well, thanks for the reality check guys; looks like i wont be going after all!

30000 baht was just a guess on the wage; whats the wage when they give you a working visa then?

Cheers

Sam

you can get a work permit and a non-imm-b on that ... but theorhetically not permission to stay ... so have to do a borfer run every 90 days ... but ask in the Teaching in Thailand forum and see .. teachers get some special dispensations

Can easily get a room range 3-6 thousand baht.

use a fan so electric bill is cheap

eat thai food so you can live on 150 baht a day easy

rent a mocyi or use taxi mocyi

drink sangsom, just pick it up by the case at big c

30 g a month? use that budget and you will have a good 15 or so grand so spare.

i lived like this for a few years in phuket, amazing, lived 10 minute walk from patong beach, farang didnt exist in my hood, and can get drunk, party and have fun with all the neighbours.

well, thanks for the reality check guys; looks like i wont be going after all!

30000 baht was just a guess on the wage; whats the wage when they give you a working visa then?

i also got a job offer in chonburi 10km from the beach for 32000 baht w accomodation they are saying i need a non b visa; whats that?

p.s i dont want a live in thai; do a lot of people do that in phuket??

Cheers

Sam

After a month of rubbing your bum raw with single ply sandpaper you'll be running to carrefour to splurge on quilted 2 ply.

Still using toiletpaper? I would advise the OP to use the little squirter by the side of the toilet. He will save money and have a much cleaner bum. I have gone native in this respect, and TP now seems totally gross to me. Unless you are someone who can always pinch a loaf off cleanly the hydraulic method is the way to go. OP: You can now knock about 200 Baht off your monthly budget! :o

:o I agree AND disagree with most of the posters here.

3000/mo for highspeed internet/phone/basic cable and electricity and water

3600/mo for meals (assuming Thai food .. lunch at work etc ... eating western should go into entertainment budget)

1000/mo for fuel for the bike

2000/mo or less for laundry etc (mine runs about 1600)

3600/mo for meals a month? are you sure?

I don't think anyone can survive with eating Thai food 100% of times? Remember, you are farang, and somtimes you desire to go to Burger king, Pizza, star buck, eat steak.....American breakfast, bar BQ..kebab.....

I eat Thai food 80% times, but "two plates" instead of "one plates" (i'm small farang) , remember Some Farangs are very large in size and can eat almost double or thrice as much thais eat.

I say 300 bhat a day, for good food to remain healty, specialy to recover from lot of alcohole consumption, think about it for a moment

Edited by BKKDUDE

BKKDude ... people are different .. that is for sure!

If you RE_READ the post you quoted I did say western food was to be counted in the entertainment budget :o

but in this case we are talking about a teacher at a school ..... the school canteen covers about 20 meals a month ....

(but yes I am sure about 3600 being doable :D