60 Day Covid Extension... Problems?

I have linked to a Thaiger article below that states expats have been having trouble getting their covid 60 day extensions. Apparently to deter people from being in Thailand for 'the wrong purpose'.

With the new application deadline pushed back to May 24, I was hoping to extend my visa exempt stamp a final time before applying for a non imm O visa in early-mid June.

Anyone experiencing problems or have heard of anyone experiencing any problems?

I don't think I would qualify for being here for 'the wrong purpose'. I am married to a Thai and have 2 Thai kids. But you never know if you come up against a beligerent imm officer. This extension is now at the discretion of that officer who could basically send you packing out of the country in 7 days.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/deadline-to-apply-for-covid-visa-extension-now-may-24-immigration-gets-stricter

Edited by Brewster67

7 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

I don't think I would qualify for being here for 'the wrong purpose'. I am married to a Thai and have 2 Thai kids

If you are married and have children there is no reason for you to require covid extension.

Recent reports of folk obtaining covid extensions with zero fuss.

How did you enter Thailand? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I have a similar question.  I entered on a visa exempt stamp. (May 4th this year).   Am I eligible for covid extension?  If so, can I apply before the 24th?   Where at (I'm in Bangkok)?  Thanks in advance.    

If you entered May 4 you would have received 30 day stamp.

Prior to any covid extension you would need to obtain standard 30 day extension.

That will take you well past May 25.

Unless covid extensions continue beyond May 25 you will not be able to obtain one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If you are married and have children there is no reason for you to require covid extension.

Recent reports of folk obtaining covid extensions with zero fuss.

How did you enter Thailand? 

It is a long story.

I was on non imm O visa based on marriage with 12 month extensions for 8 years continuous. I had to dip into my 400K in the bank because I didn't want to bring money over from the UK as the rate was at an all time low. This was Feb 2020. So I decided to just do a run to the border and get a visa exempt stamp hoping the rate would recover, then I could do a run to Canbodia, get another non imm O and start back on the 12 month extension carousel.

Literally 2 days after I got the stamp covid dropped a drama bomb in my lap and I have been on 60 day extensions ever since the visa amnesty ended.

I was intending to get the non imm O visa next week now that we don't currently have to leave the country and can get it from my local imm office, but I was unaware you needed to do this with at least 21 days left on your current stay, I have only 12 days. So I will have to get another 60 day covid extension before the May 24 deadline, then I can go back in 1 month and apply for the non imm O based on marriage and kids and then i can get back on the 12 month extension carousel.

I have to say it was well worth waiting for the exchange rate to recover, I netted a cool extra 350K, takes some of the sting out of all the hassle. ????

18 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

It is a long story.

I was on non imm O visa based on marriage with 12 month extensions for 8 years continuous. I had to dip into my 400K in the bank because I didn't want to bring money over from the UK as the rate was at an all time low. This was Feb 2020. So I decided to just do a run to the border and get a visa exempt stamp hoping the rate would recover, then I could do a run to Canbodia, get another non imm O and start back on the 12 month extension carousel.

Literally 2 days after I got the stamp covid dropped a drama bomb in my lap and I have been on 60 day extensions ever since the visa amnesty ended.

I was intending to get the non imm O visa next week now that we don't currently have to leave the country and can get it from my local imm office, but I was unaware you needed to do this with at least 21 days left on your current stay, I have only 12 days. So I will have to get another 60 day covid extension before the May 24 deadline, then I can go back in 1 month and apply for the non imm O based on marriage and kids and then i can get back on the 12 month extension carousel.

I have to say it was well worth waiting for the exchange rate to recover, I netted a cool extra 350K, takes some of the sting out of all the hassle. ????

If your present stamp is indeed Visa Exempt, you should have no problems other than some curt comments depending on which person you get.  As I said, I've been here since 2020, and my last entry point was a Myanmar visa run from the border with Kanchanaburi in 2020 for which I have a visa exempt stamp.  Ever since then, only covid stamps. If I have had no issues, I doubt you will.

Just keep it simple, don't explain anything about your future plans(marriage, etc.).  Get the covid stamp done as simply as possible(like you're a simple tourist).  Once you have that in your passport...do a SEPARATE visit to square away your Non-O.

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

I have only 12 days. So I will have to get another 60 day covid extension before the May 24 deadline,.........

Since you entered visa exempt you can obtain another covid extension.

Which immigration office?

Pretty strange that during a 2 year stay that you didn't check out the process for obtaining the non O marriage and be aware of time required on permit to be able to obtain the non O

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Since you entered visa exempt you can obtain another covid extension.

Which immigration office?

Pretty strange that during a 2 year stay that you didn't check out the process for obtaining the non O marriage and be aware of time required on permit to be able to obtain the non O

Korat imm office... There has only been a non O available at this office pretty recently, before that you had to use an agent that charged 25K for the process, a figure I balked at and refused to pay.

Obviously the agent and the office were on the make, the sort of thing that happens when the immigration authorities hand their offices 'discretionary' powers. they monetize it to the max.

TIT

Edited by Brewster67