What is involved in switching jobs and getting new work permit?

My gf decided to leave her job of 5 years and start with a new school (English teacher). Her hr rep at the old school told her to just have the hr from the new school contact her, and the old hr rep has said she will hold off on cancelling her current visa while the new school applies for her new one, but has made mention that she can't wait forever and would probably be cancelling by the end of May. 

The new school is asking her to apply for a covid visa which seems like not the appropriate way to go about this, but I have no expertise so wondering if anyone whose done this before could offer any advice on the matter?

Is it expected that she should change visa status like this, before applying again for a work visa? Is it possible to do this all within country without exiting, or is she looking at exiting and applying in Vientiane? What paperwork if any should she be pressing the new school to file or obtain (as it is not clear yet if the new school is competent in this process)? 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

The new school will have to apply for a work permit for her to get a work permit approval letter that will be needed to apply for a new extension of stay (is not a visa) based upon teaching.

Then the old school will to give her a termination letter stating the last day she will be working to have her current extension canceled to apply for a new extension with supporting documents from the new school.

Not sure why the new school is suggesting a covid 19 extension. I am not sure she will be able to apply for one if she entered the country with a non-b visa. At this time the last day to apply for one is the 24th unless the order for them will will be extended again.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The new school will have to apply for a work permit for her to get a work permit approval letter that will be needed to apply for a new extension of stay (is not a visa) based upon teaching.

Then the old school will to give her a termination letter stating the last day she will be working to have her current extension canceled to apply for a new extension with supporting documents from the new school.

Not sure why the new school is suggesting a covid 19 extension. I am not sure she will be able to apply for one if she entered the country with a non-b visa. At this time the last day to apply for one is the 24th unless the order for them will will be extended again.

Thank you for this. One thing I'm still unclear on... What's the difference bewteen her non-b visa status vs the extension of stay she gets once she has the work permit? 

This is what one of the new guys in my office did,

He changed or cancelled his non-b from the old work to covid visa or extension. And our office preapered the documents in 2 or 3 days the  he went there again and got his 1 year extension based on work. He has a wife who is not thai, she also got 1 year extension. So it is possible. But i strongly suggest you to confirm this with the immigration you will do your extension just like he confirmed with the immigration. I also remember that he talked with the immigration at udon thani when cancelling and explained his plan to IO, then the IO asked him for any evidence and he showed a letter from my company. Then he gave him covid extension or whatever it call, and canceled his non-b. When he came to CW bangkok, IO called udon thani immigration and confirmed the story. And with the paper work from the office he got it

Another way is, if the new school can preapare all the documents on time, you can go to immigration with the termination letter. You can swift your extension for the new work. All this must be in the same day, this is what my other friend did 3 or 4 years ago. Didnt need to leave the country.

Well another option is the most known one. Leave the country and get a new non-b. I heard laos is opening real soon. 

First way seems the best but please check with the immigration. Second way is also easy but risky because everything must be on the same day. Third seems the most time and money wasting way but the most sure way

Good luck.

Edited by problemfarang

6 minutes ago, Phoenixsun28 said:

Thank you for this. One thing I'm still unclear on... What's the difference bewteen her non-b visa status vs the extension of stay she gets once she has the work permit? 

Her non-b visa really means nothing at this time since it has bee invalid since she entered the the country with it. All she has now is a extension of the permit to stay it allowed when she entered the country with it.

The new work permit she will get from the new school will replace the old one after it is canceled.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure she will be able to apply for one if she entered the country with a non-b visa. At this time the

I suggest you read my post. I am aware of that problem. My post was in reference to mixing up extensions of stay and visas that causes a lot of confusion.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure she will be able to apply for one if she entered the country with a non-b visa. At this time the last day to apply for one is the 24th unless the order for them will will be extended again.