Rendering old painted walls

djlest

Any thoughts on whether its possible (or wise) to render old semi painted walls such as these?

i have considered knocking them down but the neighbors are well! Lets not go there the pics speak for themselves.

there is also the water drainage issue ????

D263DCF1-4FB7-42CD-A214-5581E1A33F1D.jpeg

Just now, transam said:

Pressure wash it, most of that paint will come off, and the black will be gone. Can buy a PW for around 2000 bht..

Thanks i did pressure wash it yesterday, whilst a lot of paint and black does indeed come off.
but The walls are too badly damaged, the brick is crumbling partly from the neighbours deciding to build  their house to the wall and then some… which caused stress cracks and the water runnoff too.

After the pressure wash yesterday..

would a render skim stick do you think? I remember my father years ago rendering a wall that always got wet and damp and it all crumbled off a year later. 

37CDE88D-5659-4CE7-9394-60C73337BCCD.jpeg

Edited by djlest

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Have you considered asking a professional to inspect those walls (and maybe also the rest of your new property)? 

Yes had one around a few days ago,

just wanted some secondary advice from foreigners that may have had similar walls they have rendered.

I know if not done correctly it will fall off, i have seen it done with galvanized chicken wire type structures and bonding agents. 

4 hours ago, djlest said:

After the pressure wash yesterday..

would a render skim stick do you think? I remember my father years ago rendering a wall that always got wet and damp and it all crumbled off a year later. 

37CDE88D-5659-4CE7-9394-60C73337BCCD.jpeg

Given that picture I would use bleach wash in the wall

13 hours ago, vinci said:

by law you need 3m set back

If you have windows it is 2 m between house and wall, the roof must not overhang into another property, if no windows, and you build to the wall, rain water must be kept on your own side of the wall, ie. internal gutter, which I have at the rear of the house kitchen extension.

i was dealing with a neighbor just like this, told them to knock your wall down so i can fix the fence, they refuse too, i told them i will report them and let the authority take care of it, they beg me not too and willing to fix and paint the fence. 

3 hours ago, transam said:

If you have windows it is 2 m between house and wall, the roof must not overhang into another property, if no windows, and you build to the wall, rain water must be kept on your own side of the wall, ie. internal gutter, which I have at the rear of the house kitchen extension.

I think you will find that even with no windows there is a minimum 50cm from a boundary wall for a building.

The only structures that can touch the wall are temporary ones such as a lean to kitchen roof or lean to covered parking area, though some “temporary” structures are remarkably solid and give no impression of being less than permanent.

Also for all properties you are not allowed to let any water escape in to your neighbours property however far your building is from the boundary. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

45 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I think you will find that even with no windows there is a minimum 50cm from a boundary wall for a building.

The only structures that can touch the wall are temporary ones such as a lean to kitchen roof or lean to covered parking area, though some “temporary” structures are remarkably solid and give no impression of being less than permanent.

Also for all properties you are not allowed to let any water escape in to your neighbours property however far your building is from the boundary. 

Must be different in my area then, as it has been OK'd....

As I said, no rain water or roof overhang on another's land..

image.png.4f09adb41e3a95778f36aaf7700c94b3.png

image.png.4bb19a21ce5b8fbc3916dbb87d4234e7.png

Both of the excerpts above are from here.

Given that your neighbor has violated the building code and that your property is suffering from their water runoff, I would take Vinci's advice and tell them that you will report them and let the authorities take care of it, unless they repair the wall and fill in their windows and vents, and ensure that their roof drains are drained properly onto their side of the boundary, after which you would be prepared to give them written consent as the adjacent land owner.

Edited by Encid
  • Like 1

General process for rendering over paint is to apply a coat of PVA/Water mix and let it dry before applying render.  Even then, if the paint is at all glossy or non porous you'd be be well advised to get it off or at the very minimim give it a firm roughing up.  It sounds a very simple question but in fact there is no one answer.  Even using PVA, that only helps the render adhere to the top coat of paint.  If the wall has been painted several times in the past and any one of those coats is unstable - the job will only be as strong as that.

I had some previously painted internal walls skimmed to avoid some alterations showing up.  I told the builder to use PVA and he just looked blank at me.  A little more pressing and he told me it wasn't necessary with 'this type of cement'.  I was doubtful but tired of arguing with him.  Two years later the skim screed has separated in places and will no doubt start to come off soon. Lesson learned if I employ a builder in the future, they will do the job according to my requirements or go home.

If I get something wrong, I only have myself to blame and I'd have to foot the bill. In the case above - the builder got it wrong and there's zero chance of him coming back and putting it right.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Encid said:

Given that your neighbor has violated the building code and that your property is suffering from their water runoff, I would take Vinci's advice and tell them that you will report them and let the authorities take care of it, unless they repair the wall and fill in their windows and vents, and ensure that their roof drains are drained properly onto their side of the boundary, after which you would be prepared to give them written consent as the adjacent land owner.

The water runoff is the killer and absolut no no, the building against the boundary wall may not fly if the property was bought after the building was done as then there could have been an agreement with the previous owners. Though blocking of the louvred windows would be appropriate.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 5/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Given that picture I would use bleach wash in the wall

Absolutely!

In an ideal world, I would use a lime wash to whiten them and prevent mold.

But for some reason such basic products don't seem to be ready available here.

Edited by Morakot