I Just Had My Shoes Stolen!

gbt71fa

Seriously, though, it shows the extremes that exist in this country. Where I come from, even the most hardened criminal usually won't mess with the sanctity of a church.

That may be usually true. However, if you're from the U.S., a few years ago in Texas a gunman entered a church killed a bunch of people.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should mention that some 6-7 years ago, my father's hat and sunglasses were stolen at Wat Prathat Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai as well.

The lesson is, don't leave anything out of sight that you would not want to lose - always carry a small bag/backpack/rucksack with you for such things.

Large size shoes can bring a nice penny if sold. Who knows, if you head over to Jatujak weekend market you may be able to buy them back. :o

Maybe this is a khoinky dink but I saw this backpacker with a large shoe shaped knapsack made up of 2 size 13 shoes wandering around KSR looking for a bottle of foot powder who looked very sinister.

Can I have a description of the said missing bigfoot coverings you lost? :o

Edited by Minburi

When I still lived in the USA.I believed that these eastern religions and their monks had mysterious knowledge.After living here,I realize it was due to being exposed to vast quantities of TV.

And,no soundman being ripped off is not OK.If this man would of found the culprit,and would have indeed, smacked him upside the head with his size 13's.He would then have been mobbed, by everyone in the temple,and would be communicating to us from the hospital with his laptop,which would probably get ripped off when he goes to sleep.Forgetting about it,and trying to enjoy himself, is the only way to go.

Temples as havens for pickpockets and footwear theft!!

Interesting.

I've been to several temples but am of the mind that if you've seen one temple, you've seen them all.

Now I'd like to see if I can identify the bad doers so I think I'll put temples back on my to see list. And maybe I'll bring some bait like shoes with sticky paint in them. Maybe put some of those spring loaded finger snappers in my pocket or fanny pack.

The fun, the fun.

Expensive items are fair game anywhere, anytime, any country. I had some shoes stolen from outside my house in Malaysia. Thief climed over a locked gate at night. After that, all valuables go inside at night.

Two of my friends have had their flip-flops taken before ... not from temples, but from restaurants/bars.

I only wear flip-flops, but I either put them away from the main door, or carry them in with me. They're not worth a lot of money, but I don't want the inconvenience of going home barefoot, then having to go shopping for a new pair.

I have a vision of some water buffalo walking the fields in size 13 sandles.

Ok, I feel your pain. You were pilfered and of all places, the temple. There should be very few thais in need of that size.

Perhaps you can revisit the temple and see if they are returned perhaps by a mistaken temple visitor.

:o:D:D

Anecdote about shoe theft:

Oxford St. Manchester, England was a well known haunt for beggars who always met for a drink in my local at lunchtimes.

One guy, perfectly healthy, used to take off one shoe, wrap a dirty bandage round his foot and hop round begging on crutches.

One winter's day, snow on the ground he hopped into the pub screaming somebody had stolen his shoe.

I never could figure what somebody would want with just one shoe.

But then, in Manchester there's no limit to what people will lift.

It would have been nice if you could have cought the person stealing them so you could have smacked em in the head with the shoes he wanted so badly.

I wear a 13 as well, and it is a night mare finding our size in BKK ( usually a 47). Fortunetly nobody robbed my shoes yet.

Same with me euro 47 I usually buy direct from China but you have to be careful of conmen there.

I guess in a poorish country everything has a value.

It would have been nice if you could have cought the person stealing them so you could have smacked em in the head with the shoes he wanted so badly.

I wear a 13 as well, and it is a night mare finding our size in BKK ( usually a 47). Fortunetly nobody robbed my shoes yet.

Same with me euro 47 I usually buy direct from China but you have to be careful of conmen there.

I guess in a poorish country everything has a value.

Did you check out the boatyards, S? :o

Not just the temple, but at California Fitness on Silom I had my shoes stolen and that's supposed to a middle class joint with minimum monthly payments of 1000 baht. This happens all the time with my good shoes going missing one morning! They say you can't carry a bag around the gym while working out but when you complain that stuff is missing from the locker room they point at the sign that says "we are not responsible for lost or stolen items" Mai Pen Rai??

Not just the temple, but at California Fitness on Silom I had my shoes stolen and that's supposed to a middle class joint with minimum monthly payments of 1000 baht. This happens all the time with my good shoes going missing one morning! They say you can't carry a bag around the gym while working out but when you complain that stuff is missing from the locker room they point at the sign that says "we are not responsible for lost or stolen items" Mai Pen Rai??

whats the world coming too ,maybe the person who stole them isnt a religious person :o

the Thais I know would say.... "jaw khong aw pay leaw.." ....meaning that the owner has taken it...(whatever has been stolen)...

a good buddhist would think that when something is stolen.... we probably have stolen from them in a past life.... so just forgive them.... and do not get angry or want revenge... so as to break the chain and not create any karma to be repeated over and over again

and when your wife said 'you don't know what pain is...' it's true.... compared to childbirth ...we men hardly know suffering as women do

Edited by fabianfred

the Thais I know would say.... "jaw khong aw pay leaw.." ....meaning that the owner has taken it...(whatever has been stolen)...

a good buddhist would think that when something is stolen.... we probably have stolen from them in a past life.... so just forgive them.... and do not get angry or want revenge... so as to break the chain and not create any karma to be repeated over and over again

and when your wife said 'you don't know what pain is...' it's true.... compared to childbirth ...we men hardly know suffering as women do

Rubbish :D they suffer a few hours, we have to listen to them for 40 years or more after that, "yap yap yap", now that's real suffering :o

:D

Rubbish :D they suffer a few hours, we have to listen to them for 40 years or more after that, "yap yap yap", now that's real suffering :o

:D

yeah, childbirth can never compare to a lifetime pain in the ar$e! :D

Seriously, though, it shows the extremes that exist in this country. Where I come from, even the most hardened criminal usually won't mess with the sanctity of a church.

That may be usually true. However, if you're from the U.S., a few years ago in Texas a gunman entered a church killed a bunch of people.

......but did he steal their shoes?

When I still lived in the USA.I believed that these eastern religions and their monks had mysterious knowledge.After living here,I realize it was due to being exposed to vast quantities of TV.

And,no soundman being ripped off is not OK.If this man would of found the culprit,and would have indeed, smacked him upside the head with his size 13's.He would then have been mobbed, by everyone in the temple,and would be communicating to us from the hospital with his laptop,which would probably get ripped off when he goes to sleep.Forgetting about it,and trying to enjoy himself, is the only way to go.

I have been in two physicalities with groups of thai men and usually I just got cheered on by the thai crowds or they all just back off.

a good buddhist would think that when something is stolen.... we probably have stolen from them in a past life.... so just forgive them.... and do not get angry or want revenge... so as to break the chain and not create any karma to be repeated over and over again.

You only forgive when somebody regrets, here, that is lacking. As far as karma goes, I would shove that as far as I could up the culprit's poopy shute.

Edited by gbt71fa