Found! Thai woman who kept wrongly transferred money says she'll work to pay off the debt in instalments

webfact

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Haha, had the wife's brother in law (who is of course Thai), complaining exactly of that, when it comes to getting people to work on his agriculture oriented business. 

Ask any businessman hiring people anywhere in the world: you will hear the same story. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

So, it looks like a lot of foreigners have came to Thailand and opened the businesses just to find out how lazy almost all Thai people are. And everybody have one and the same story: we are ready to pay a lot for a work of almost doing nothing and still these lazy people refuse to work. I wish I could

ask those Thais what the real story was, I am sure it would be quite different. Anyway. The question is why do you still operate your businesses if there is such a huge problem with hiring people? Or may be it is not a real

problem? Many foreigners come to Thailand and expect these poor third worlders to be happy for every dollar they give them. But when they see instead that local people have some dignity and self respect (and even dare to think they have a right to be lazy) - they then accuse the Thais of being lazy and “lacking initiative”. 
Come on, money is important for

humans, but, contrary to your beliefs - it is not everything. 

So it's the foreigners fault for expecting them to actually work when they hire them? You're quite the apologist. Maybe we should just hand over the money, prostrate ourselves, thank them profusely for allowing us to be in their presence for the duration of the job and beg forgiveness for the heinous crime of being a priviliged Whitey in Thailand?

What next? "If the foreigner wasn't in Thailand employing them, the Thai wouldn't have been lazy on the job"? ????

BTW in case you hadn't noticed, in this case the Thai stole from another Thai. Good luck blaming that on the foreigner.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, it is what it is said:

It has been my experience that with Thai people, once money changes hands---even wrongly---that immediately and automatically becomes THEIR money.

you need to remove the word 'thai' from this statement, as this situation is not unique to thailand. in my home country there have been cases of people receiving money by mistake and refusing to return it. this is why banks stress the need to check the accuracy of details when making online transfers.

No, if the statement didn't apply to thai people at all, it would be appropriate to remove it. Since it does, and since we're talking about a thai person/people in Thailand, theres no reason to remove it. 

That what I said may apply to SOME other people from SOME other places............. doesn't change my personal observation about Thai people one iota. (It being my own personal observation having been clearly identified with "It has been my experience that......")

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Hellfire said:

So, it looks like a lot of foreigners have came to Thailand and opened the businesses just to find out how lazy almost all Thai people are. And everybody have one and the same story: we are ready to pay a lot for a work of almost doing nothing and still these lazy people refuse to work. I wish I could

ask those Thais what the real story was, I am sure it would be quite different. Anyway. The question is why do you still operate your businesses if there is such a huge problem with hiring people? Or may be it is not a real

problem? Many foreigners come to Thailand and expect these poor third worlders to be happy for every dollar they give them. But when they see instead that local people have some dignity and self respect (and even dare to think they have a right to be lazy) - they then accuse the Thais of being lazy and “lacking initiative”. 
Come on, money is important for

humans, but, contrary to your beliefs - it is not everything. 

Funny. The stories I told had nothing to do with people being too lazy to find work. The stories I told were about people who took the job.........and then DIDN'T want to work! 2 hours to clean a room my wife can clean better in 20 minutes? Sorry, but there's no way I'd call this industrious!

(But hey, maybe taking money for work you don't do.......... somehow preserves one's "dignity?" 555)

Now, my stories only reflect our experiences, of course. But I'd be mighty shocked to find out that we somehow managed to find THE ONLY ONES!

????????????

Cheers!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Yup a poster with a whole 150 posts is not someone I would waste time

arguing with.  The woman who lost that kind of money, should get justice.

I have no sympathy for the woman who spent that money. Being poor is

no excuse for what happened, oh and the poor woman has a bank account

so just how poor is she?

Any ol' bot can rack up thousands of posts. Doesn't mean they'll make valuable or worthwhile contributions.

Quality over quantity, baby. Quality over quantity!

(Shh, shh, shh! don't argue with me, now. I don't have nearly enough posts! Hahaha!)

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Funny. The stories I told had nothing to do with people being too lazy to find work. The stories I told were about people who took the job.........and then DIDN'T want to work! 2 hours to clean a room my wife can clean better in 20 minutes? Sorry, but there's no way I'd call this industrious!

(But hey, maybe taking money for work you don't do.......... somehow preserves one's "dignity?" 555)

Now, my stories only reflect our experiences, of course. But I'd be mighty shocked to find out that we somehow managed to find THE ONLY ONES!

????????????

Cheers!

Why to hire people for the work your wife can do in 20 minutes and can do it BETTER? I think that if your wife tries even more - she can do it in 10 minutes.
Seriously, it is such a subjective matter. People are different (all people), they have different motivations, different moods, different characters, everything different. Why to depict all 60 millions Thais (or even most of them) as ONE lazy and stupid creature? It is not fair, to say the least.

Edited by Hellfire
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, it is what it is said:

It has been my experience that with Thai people, once money changes hands---even wrongly---that immediately and automatically becomes THEIR money.

you need to remove the word 'thai' from this statement, as this situation is not unique to thailand. in my home country there have been cases of people receiving money by mistake and refusing to return it. this is why banks stress the need to check the accuracy of details when making online transfers.

No, the word Thai should not be removed from the statement.

There is always someone who will use the same type of 'sophism', to try to come up with a conclusion contrary to the one that is being explained.

The sophism that is used here, this fallacy, is that 'It is not because a situation is not unique to a country', that it is not more generalized in another country, in this case Thailand.

Aristotle's logic, especially his theory of the syllogism, has had an unparalleled influence on the history of Western thought..

Might be worthwhile to try to understand the concept of syllogism, and sophism.

10 hours ago, it is what it is said:

My wife and I own a small hotel. This means we need to hire some low-skill, low-wage labor. In eight years of being open, I'd say we've had 3 workers who weren't lazy. Maybe 4.

maybe you're just not very good at staff recruitment ????

Perhaps that's true.

But the job is, of necessity, a low-skill, low-wage job. Have you any suggestion how we can get higher-skilled workers to take this low-skill job? 

And if they ARE a higher-skilled worker, wouldn't you be asking........ like I do..........  WHY they'd want to take this low-skill, low-wage job............and WHY they're even available to do so?

You see, it's the nature of the job......... and not our recruiting methods.......... that define the caliber of worker that will come looking for it. And the nature of the job dictates that it can never be anything more than a low-skill, low-wage job! 

But hey, I'm open to suggestions!

????????????

Cheers!

26 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

Why to hire people for the work your wife can do in 20 minutes and can do it BETTER? I think that if your wife tries even more - she can do it in 10 minutes.
Seriously, it is such a subjective matter. People are different (all people), they have different motivations, different moods, different characters, everything different. Why to depict all 60 millions Thais (or even most of them) as ONE lazy and stupid creature? It is not fair, to say the least.

Peoples differences are of no concern when you're hiring them to do a job. What matters is whether they do the job, and do it properly and efficiently. 

Now, whether they want to clean a room "singing a happy tune" ......... or clean a room brooding and sulking......... I really don't care. I do care that they get the room cleaned, though, and that they don't be inefficient about doing so. Why? Because there's other work to do, too. (Not to mention., if the rooms aren't clean, we can't rent them out, again! We once lost a 10-room rental because we couldn't give them all ten room right away. The reason? The worker wasn't done........ after 5 hours........ with the 4 rooms we had rented the night before! 5,000 baht......... Gone!) 

Taking a job is an agreement to conform. If the workers don't conform to certain standards, the business is out of control......... and headed toward failure. 

So your talk about people having differences is great........... for the outside world. But they really have nothing to do with what a business needs to operate. 

Cheers! 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 3:28 PM, JonnyF said:

"others just sit there and moan, gossip, play the victim, do nothing and steal from others who can be bothered to get off their backside". 

That's not just Thailand. Same same all over the world

An ex-gf of mine tried to do the same thing with a very substantial overpayment by a U.S. bank. First, she bought a brand new car. Then she skipped town with the rest of the ill-gotten loot and made her way to another state. Next thing she knew, the FBI was breaking down her door at 3 am and carting her back to the state where the fraud was committed. U.S. banks don’t play when it comes to that sort of thing. 

On 5/19/2022 at 12:26 AM, JonnyF said:

Actually we offer a decent (by local standards) wage for quite easy work. Cleaning the inside of our house (with the air con available) for example. Washing up. Laundry, dusting etc.  Maybe some light gardening like pulling weeds out of the driveway either early morning or late afternoon when it's not too hot.

We add on lunch and normally offer them some fruit to take home at the end of the day. If they work for us for a while we'll get them small gifts for Songkran and other events (rice cooker, electric fan etc.). Drop them off at the market at the end of the day if they need.

Still often there are no takers (have to go to temple, have to visit cousin etc.). Then we see them gossiping with each other on the porch when we drive past. Then they come and ask to borrow money which they have no intention of paying back. 

That is my experience. They have every excuse in the book and play the victim, same as this woman.

Maybe they don't want to work for you cuz they don't like you.

Just a thought.