Non-Imm O-A question.

Purchase Non-Immigrant O-A visa & insurance November 2021 in USA. Entered Thailand in December for 4 months.

Will renter Thailand July 2022.

O-A visa will extend to July 2023 using reentry permit.

Will leave Thailand March 2023.

O-A visa insurance expires November 2022.

When I arrive at airport in July 2022, will Thai immigration reject my 1 year O-A extension and request I must buy a new 1 year O-A insurance.

Thanks

TC.

A non O-A visa will give you permission to stay for 1 year or until your insurance expires.whichever is earliest.In your case if you arrive in July 2022 you will get permission to stay until  November 2022.

If you want to stay until March 2023 you will have to extend your insurance.

Edited by Tim16

50 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

You did not need a Re Entry Permit.

The O-A Visa is valid for 12 months from date of issue.

You get multiple entries of 12 months until the visa expires.

The O-A visa expires November 2022 12 months.

If I leave and return to Thailand before the 12 months expires(get re entry permit).

Will my O-A visa be valid for another 12 months until 2023 or November 2022.

Will I be stopped airport due to O-A visa insurance expires in November 2022

TC

You are using the wrong terms. The "validity" of a visa refers to the period during which you are allowed to use it to enter the country. This is a separate issue from the permission to stay period which is attached to the visa entry.

So:  an OA visa obtained on, say,  1st November 2021 is valid for 1 year, that is, it can be used to enter the country on any day between 1st November 2021 and 1st November 2022.

Each time you enter the country between those two dates you are given a one year permission to stay. So if you enter on 1st November  2022 you are given permission to stay until November 1st 2023.

The only reason you would need a re-entry permit  is if you leave the country again after 1st November 2022. This is because, although you have been given permission to stay until 1st November 2023, your visa (permission to enter the country) is invalid any time after 1st November 2022.

So to be allowed to re-enter the country any time after 1st November 2022 with that one year permission to stay until 1st November 2023 you have been given kept intact, you need a permission to enter the country that replaces the visa. This is called a "re-entry permit", and allows you to enter and stay until 1st November 2023.

You need insurance for the whole period of your stay as far as I am aware.

Edited by partington
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, partington said:

You are using the wrong terms. The "validity" of a visa refers to the period during which you are allowed to use it to enter the country. This is a separate issue from the permission to stay period which is attached to the visa entry.

So:  an OA visa obtained on, say,  1st November 2021 is valid for 1 year, that is, it can be used to enter the country on any day between 1st November 2021 and 1st November 2022.

Each time you enter the country between those two dates you are given a one year permission to stay. So if you enter on 1st November  2022 you are given permission to stay until November 1st 2023.

The only reason you would need a re-entry permit  is if you leave the country again after 1st November 2022. This is because, although you have been given permission to stay until 1st November 2023, your visa (permission to enter the country) is invalid any time after 1st November 2022.

So to be allowed to re-enter the country any time after 1st November 2022 with that one year permission to stay until 1st November 2023 you have been given kept intact, you need a permission to enter the country that replaces the visa. This is called a "re-entry permit", and allows you to enter and stay until 1st November 2023.

You need insurance for the whole period of your stay as far as I am aware.

Thanks for the clarification.

So in my case if I renter Thailand on June 2022 I will be given permission to stay until June 2023.

Correct? `

6 hours ago, tomx2 said:

Purchase Non-Immigrant O-A visa & insurance November 2021 in USA. Entered Thailand in December for 4 months.

Will renter Thailand July 2022.

O-A visa will extend to July 2023 using reentry permit.

Will leave Thailand March 2023.

O-A visa insurance expires November 2022.

When I arrive at airport in July 2022, will Thai immigration reject my 1 year O-A extension and request I must buy a new 1 year O-A insurance.

Thanks

TC.

Your visa is valid till November 2022 (no need for reentry permit).
When you enter in July, 2022 you will be granted permission to stay till November 2022 because of your insurance. If insurance is extended you will be granted permission to stay till July 2023 (One year from the date of entry).
If you leave Thailand again before July 2023 (Provided you are granted permission to stay till July 2023), you need a reentry permit to enter Thailand again before July 2023.

1 minute ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Your visa is valid till November 2022 (no need for reentry permit).
When you enter in July, 2022 you will be granted permission to stay till November 2022 because of your insurance. If insurance is extended you will be granted permission to stay till July 2023 (One year from the date of entry).
If you leave Thailand again before July 2023 (Provided you are granted permission to stay till July 2023), you need a reentry permit to enter Thailand again before July 2023.

Thanks

37 minutes ago, partington said:

Only if he has insurance till November 2023. There are two components here. Visa validity date and health insurance. He will be granted permission till his health insurance expires or one year whichever comes first. In most cases health insurance expiring will come first unless one has purchased an insurance for more than a year. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Like 1

O-A was all nice and dandy for two years before they introduced the stupid insurance. I used it for 10-years for my 6-month stay in Thailand. After they introduced insurance, I switched to agent assisted retirement extension for 15k, instead of keeping 400K in a Thai bank. For two  years of exploding stock market paid me more than what I paid to agents in Pattaya. Now I discovered US i-bond offering 9.8% interest rate. I will keep my 400K in US iBond for the forseeable future and keep on getting agent assisted retirement extension for my 6-month stay in Thailand. 

• Like 1