LG TV with fluttering picture.

DrJack54

So in a rental with furniture included the tenant has complained about picture.

See attached video.

Bit more info. The tenant had AIS "fiber" installed.

So it's all running through that rather than tv antenna. There is no tv antenna socket. 

Not sure how to describe the picture effect.

In addition there is one black horizontal line in picture.

These issues are on and off. 

The tenant is farang so has been easy to understand the issue.

Any ideas? 

BTW the tv is 5 year old LG. 

TIA. 

Edited by DrJack54

Looks like one of the video cards is going bad and its having an issue with the refresh rate. If they can play a DVD and it continues it would rule out the fibre signal feed, which I suspect it isn't that due to the black line along with the flicker.  My Sony was doing that and rather than paying to replace the video card due to cost I was able to go into the settings and change the settings to take it out of the motion enhancement mode and set it to standard which fixed the issue. Also check the refresh rate settings.  Cant claim it will fix your problem but worth checking the settings  and may prolong the use until you replace it 

• Thanks 1

yeah. weird one this. flashing into 2nd half of screen. how much is your time worth? sell to tv shop for parts and replace with new...... cheap tv for rental units, never know when accidental damage gonna happen... like this may have been....

I had 2 different flat screens I had purchased brand new at different electronic shops in Pattaya 10 years back. Both were Samsung brand. A little after one year both of those TV’s went blue screen on me. Right after 1 year warranty both times. I will never buy a Samsung flat screen again. I would venture to guess the heat and humidity have a negative effect on all electronics in this part of the world. 

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

It's the back light failing.

I was going to say the same thing, backlight problems, I had a cheap TV over 5 years old and it started having the same problems as the vid in the OP. Any TV repair shop should be able to fix for a small fee.

• Thanks 1

OP, it looks very repairable. As others have said, appears to be a back light problem, and that would most likely be a transformer that supplies the voltage to the backlights.

If it was panel/pixels etc, probably not viable to repair.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, it looks very repairable.

Thankyou for input and thanks to all the replies.

My thinking now is to buy a new one and keep the old (repair it at some point).

It's a large joint with 2 lounge rooms and 3 beds so thinking second telly not too ridiculous.

Happy tenant happy life.