More than a million foreign tourists arrive in Thailand since January

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, proton said:

So about 5% from 3 years ago, would be more if they got rid of the useless Thailand pass

How can we truly be sure of that?  Is Thai Pass creating the dilemma or is it the global economy and the monetary exchange rates.....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Who was the millionth visitor, where are they from, were they given a voucher for a free stay at an exclusive location, were they given round trip tickets, was the needed insurance refunded and were they given a 30 baht scheme card?  So many questions left unanswered....

Perhaps it was a Thai returnee, so in that case no return ticket or insurance refund needed... ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, proton said:

So about 5% from 3 years ago, would be more if they got rid of the useless Thailand pass

the Thai Pass isn't stopping anyone who wants to come IMO. All the tourists I've met lately have said it was easy peasy. I would suggest that tourist numbers haven't recovered because no country in the world is anywhere near back to pre-covid arrival levels. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O’Cha was pleased with the number of incoming foreign tourists in Thailand after reaching more than one million since the country began to reopen from January, expecting tourism income to reach 1.8 trillion baht this year.

Tourists, or every man wife, g/f & their dog entering the kingdom for whatever reason?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How can we truly be sure of that?  Is Thai Pass creating the dilemma or is it the global economy and the monetary exchange rates.....

I'll look for it so I can post it here... but I just read where Las Vegas is receiving about 3 million visitors a month.  ????‍♂️

14 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Hmmm, let's think about those numbers......... 

One of the stated goals was to attract more high-quality, bigger spending tourists. Backpackers and prostitourists still pay a lot of bills and make a contribution. A lot of businesses and workers depend on them. But one guy who will spend 200,000 baht......... is worth ten guys who'll only spend 20,000, right? 

But.......... 

When tourist count has exceeded last year by almost 2,400 percent............. and revenues have only gone up by 1,400 percent............. it means each tourist is spending considerably less  this year........... than they had last year! And this with inflation running rampant? 

Seems like a good time to ask........ 

How's that goal of attracting significantly BETTER tourists working out? 

(Oh, sorry....... awkward question! ????????????

CHEERS! 

Last year's figures were skewed by two things---or one thing, depending how you want to look at it.

Last year, arrivals were required to quarantine for 14 days, later reduced to 7 days. That means they were gouged for the pleasure of staying inside a hotel room, seeing no one, until their quarantine period ended. That cost money. Also, anyone coming to Thailand (before the quarantine was reduced) knew his first two weeks were shot, so anyone coming was likely to stay about a month or more.

Arrivals in 2022 need not do quarantine, so some folks might only be coming for a week or two. Thus, they are likely to spend less overall than someone who was gouged for his first two weeks in quarantine, then let out to spend yet more when free to roam.

Given the demographic of arrivals (mostly single males who are NOT coming for the temples), this year's spend might even be better on a daily basis. Many of the arrivals are not only in a hotel and eating out, but likely dropping cash in bars and agogos.

I will grant that to rejoice at 1 million in five months---vs 40 million in 12 months of 2019---is not glass half full, it's more "I think this glass was once wet, because I see some moisture on the bottom".

Still, one has to love silver linings.

14 hours ago, dj230 said:

Tons of people going to Thailand for sure, immigration is more packed, condos more packed and I noticed some old friends from high school travelled to Thailand recently. 

Cheap living costs, infrastructure/quality of life relatively the same if not better, it's a no brainer if you work online.

Not sure if you're in Thailand, as you say "going to" and "travelled to", but I live in a condo in Pratamnak which is far from "packed". Most Russians have gone home as far as I can see. On my floor there have only been 2 other inhabited apartments in the last 6 months. Last visit to Jomtien immigration I was in and out in 20 minutes, the day before the last public holiday. "Tons of people"? Is that an accurate summation? Your buddies from high school? Hardly indicates a million fold resurgence. If you live in hope, you'll die in hope. We'll never know until the bars are booming and the shutters are up on all the many, many closed  businesses here in Pattaya. I'd say they are the only reliable indicators, at least for this town. Whatever TAT dreams up.

• Like 2