More than a million foreign tourists arrive in Thailand since January

snoop1130

13 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm in Pattaya now, and let me assure you , you cannot move at 2 am on the streets of Pattaya as it's awash with Indians fresh from the gold shop - apparently 

True.
I was last week for a few days in Pattaya.
Full of Indians and the ladies who once said: they don't like Indians, don't like dark...
Here we go, suddenly the Indians look great.

In Bangkok, there are plenty of Indians as well. In my condo, a few moved in as well.

Is this what TAT was dreaming about?
High quality, high spending tourists?

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

What will he do with the other 50 minutes, small talk?

Wrong:

Michael enters massage shop. Walks towards reception.
A few girls jumping up.
Molly asks: oil massage, ka?
Michael: No, foot massage.
Molly,: no poplem. Go upstairs and take shower.
Michael goes up and says. I just had shower in condo.
Molly: no ploplem, take shower na ka.

Michael takes his shower. 10 minutes gone.

Michael back to the massage room, just wearing his under pants.
Molly: she pulls them off and says: no good, oil no good.

Molly starts her magic. 15 minutes scratching his back.
Molly:  turn alound

Michael turns and molly spends most of the time near his 3rd leg.

Suddenly Molly whispers: Massassssss? Massasssssssss?

Michael wakes up and says: What?

Molly gently touching Michael's 3rd leg and whispers: Massassssssss

Here she goes. She takes over and it feels like she is cleaning the remote control of her TV

A few minutes later Molly asks: finissss? Velly big na ka.

Go take shower. Can you pay me first, ka.
I go make tea.

The whole story took 35 minutes on the massage table.

Rest was shower and 2nd shower and...????????????

Michael leaves the shop and thinks: S...i...t, I spent 500 Baht plus massage for nothing.
Massage was cr...ap, the 3rd leg massage was rubbish and I was just 45 minutes in and out.
Next time i look Hornpub and do it myself.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Not forgetting that Thailand is ground zero for "massaging" everything... 

figures including arrivals and expenditure are a top priority.

You mean that all massage girls are accountants?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Not sure if you're in Thailand, as you say "going to" and "travelled to", but I live in a condo in Pratamnak which is far from "packed". Most Russians have gone home as far as I can see. On my floor there have only been 2 other inhabited apartments in the last 6 months. Last visit to Jomtien immigration I was in and out in 20 minutes, the day before the last public holiday. "Tons of people"? Is that an accurate summation? Your buddies from high school? Hardly indicates a million fold resurgence. If you live in hope, you'll die in hope. We'll never know until the bars are booming and the shutters are up on all the many, many closed  businesses here in Pattaya. I'd say they are the only reliable indicators, at least for this town. Whatever TAT dreams up.

I was in and out of Jomtien in approx 30 mins but I was only doing a 90 day and I was lucky. Place was packed, I don't know what the rest were there for but all those queueing when I arrived were still there when I left. 

1 million, so like 3 million in a positive scenario if including the rest of the year and partly 'high season'? Would be 7.5% or less than 1/10th of the all time high of 40M. I personally hope that Thailand never gets back to more than 40-50% of that peak, it is much nicer that way. It became worse after 2015 with all those tour busses and chinese.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, RafPinto said:

You mean that all massage girls are accountants?

Only a fraction of them do it for pleasure...

let me put it another way, do they do it for free or for money?

So in a sense they are accountants.

3 hours ago, RafPinto said:

The whole story took 35 minutes on the massage table.

Rest was shower and 2nd shower and...????????????

A very vivid imagination or some previous experience?

[by the way, you got my name correct, but I don't know a Molly]

56 minutes ago, rott said:

I was in and out of Jomtien in approx 30 mins but I was only doing a 90 day and I was lucky. Place was packed, I don't know what the rest were there for but all those queueing when I arrived were still there when I left. 

Actually that is normal there and I really don't see a queue at Jomtien immigration to be a measure of people entering Thailand. They're already here, right?

Thinks: Maybe he meant at the airport. On a single day/hour, I guess.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, bradiston said:

Not sure if you're in Thailand, as you say "going to" and "travelled to", but I live in a condo in Pratamnak which is far from "packed". Most Russians have gone home as far as I can see. On my floor there have only been 2 other inhabited apartments in the last 6 months. Last visit to Jomtien immigration I was in and out in 20 minutes, the day before the last public holiday. "Tons of people"? Is that an accurate summation? Your buddies from high school? Hardly indicates a million fold resurgence. If you live in hope, you'll die in hope. We'll never know until the bars are booming and the shutters are up on all the many, many closed  businesses here in Pattaya. I'd say they are the only reliable indicators, at least for this town. Whatever TAT dreams up.

I am in central Bangkok (Pleonchit) and it's more packed than it was a year ago, probably 3-4x the amount of people living on my floor of my condo, wasn't much at first and now almost every room is rented. I have never been to Pattaya or plan to but I can see the "sexpats" not coming around, but for expats/digital nomads that just need a cheap place to live and work, it's perfect. 

I think the younger generation is going to get attracted to Thailand with it's technological infrastructure being quite better than some other big cities in North America along with it's cheap prices. Everything is online now anyways, if someone wants the "bar" life you can just go on Tinder, I don't know anyone my age that goes to a bar anymore to meet a girl, everyone meets their significant other online, at school or through mutual friends.

Edited by dj230

On 5/23/2022 at 7:58 PM, steven100 said:

it was a sexpat from the UK and he was given a free voucher for a 1 hour massage at Noi's massage in Pattaya.

Small print was 'Extras not included'...

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2022 at 1:55 PM, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Hmmm, let's think about those numbers......... 

One of the stated goals was to attract more high-quality, bigger spending tourists. Backpackers and prostitourists still pay a lot of bills and make a contribution. A lot of businesses and workers depend on them. But one guy who will spend 200,000 baht......... is worth ten guys who'll only spend 20,000, right? 

But.......... 

When tourist count has exceeded last year by almost 2,400 percent............. and revenues have only gone up by 1,400 percent............. it means each tourist is spending considerably less  this year........... than they had last year! And this with inflation running rampant? 

Seems like a good time to ask........ 

How's that goal of attracting significantly BETTER tourists working out? 

(Oh, sorry....... awkward question! ????????????

CHEERS! 

Think it’s time to open up 6 bars in BKK coz TAT figures means they will make at least 1000THB a night … “;0)

Does anyone know how these numbers are compiled?I used to work in Tourism industry for many years and we never knew exactly how these statistics were put together...... also this average spending is laughable.....it is impossible to predict these!

On 5/23/2022 at 1:58 PM, steven100 said:

it was a sexpat from the UK and he was given a free voucher for a 1 hour massage at Noi's massage in Pattaya.

Oi you steven100 me and you are going to fall out.  could easy have been an Australian from Sydney lol.  had a few light ales  with enough of your countryman over the years in pattaya who enjoyed the bright lights of pattaya and all of its delights. 

But it does make me smile to think of old Derrick  from dagenham  that gets off the flight all he is thinking about is having that first beer in pattaya with the girls and suddenly he's mobbed by TAT and news crews. 

• Like 1