Multi entry visa and re-entry permit

As above, but once  visa "enter by" date has passed, get a re-entry permit if you then want to leave and re-enter, you can do this within the duration of your last permission to stay.

If wanting to maximize duration of stay under the visa, it is in your interests to leave and re-enter just before the visa expiration.

• Like 2

Assuming the multiple entry visa has not expired, there is usually no point getting a re-entry permit. The only exceptions I can think of are

1. where you have applied for a one-year extension of the permission to stay on your current entry from a multiple Non O visa, and the permission to stay exceeds what you would get from a fresh entry using the visa; and
  2. where you have a multiple entry tourist visa, but have subsequently applied for a "conversion" non immigrant visa, so you are now on a non immigrant entry which you want to retain for convenient future extensions.

These cases are unusual and the normal reason for getting a multiple entry visa in the first place is to avoid the need for fresh visas or re-entry permits for subsequent arrivals in Thailand.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:26 AM, soisanuk said:

You do not need a Re-Entry permit with a multiple entry visa, BUT you must reenter before the Visa expires - the "enter by" date on the visa.

Just as an anecdote; Very important lesson learned some 30 yrs ago, trying to get everything organized well in advance, Working in the Channel Isles, planned a trip to India, on a world tour, got to Heathrow, and couldn't fly 'coz my visa was 1 day over !

I didn't even know that was a thing, 24 hrs later new visa in London and off I went.     Before, Airline staff had even rang India to see if they would allow me to fly.               ????

Technically you don't need a re-entry permit for a multiple entry visa. A reentry permit only preserve your permission to stay date and allows you to enter the country without a visa. With a multi entry visa, you are allowed to enter the county multiple times before the visa expires. 

3 minutes ago, Onerak said:

With a multi entry visa, you are allowed to enter the county multiple times before the visa expires.

Yes important for folk to understand the difference between validity of multi entry visa and entry stamps with permission of stay.

This is why it's recommended to obtain the visa as close as possible to first entry to Thailand in order to maximize your stay.