Non-O/Work permit

Hi I am a Brit returning to Thailand to live this year with my Wife (Thai).

I will be returning on a Non O visa that I wish to then extend on an annual basis.

My query is can I get a work permit on a Non O visa?

There seems to be a lot of talk about transferring to a non B but why would I give up a yearly renewable visa for a 3 month one?

We used to live there 15 years ago and I worked as a Teacher for some time and was considering doing again part time for the social aspect. Older now and not really interested in the monotony of visa runs now. Looking for permanent settlement in the land of smiles!

There was also talk about legalising degree which no one at consulate or embassy could clarify. Is this just for teaching in Bangkok or all over Thailand? Seems like just another palm grease to me and they couldn't even confirm whether it was an actual requirement or not. Is this something that depends on each school?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

P.S. Also, any recommendations for good long term expat Health insurance in Thailand? Thanks.

41 minutes ago, tinot said:

As original post.

The embassies or consulates have very little knowledge about anything that happens in Thailand, be it regarding immigration or work related things.

They are also all under different ministries (Ministry of foreign affairs, ministry of interior, ministry of labor), and they usually don't talk with each other.

Immigration doesn't know much about work permit matters, and the department of employment doesn't know much about immigration matters.

So for an answer you either have to contact the department of employment directly, or hope that somebody here can give you an answer.

• Like 1

yes you can get a work permit and can work with non-o marriage visa. Thats what i was on. and actually its easier than non-b

just give your working place your copy of marriage certificate / copy wife ID/ copy of wife house book (blue book) / copy of Kor2 (thats the paper she can get from the place she is registered, it shows her status), copy of your degrees. copy of your passport. thats it ohh and i think 1 big photo for the first time if you are getting your work permit. Also need a health certificate for the labor office which you can get from a local clinic around 100-200 baht. Dont forget to add that blood test too which is around 150 baht. dont listen people telling you that you need to go to a hospital. Any REGISTERED clinic will do it very cheaper than hospitals. When you get it check the blue clinic stamp. dont forget to sign all copies (only the copies of YOUR details). Your wife will sign her Id and house book also.

good luck

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

yes you can get a work permit and can work with non-o marriage visa. Thats what i was on. and actually its easier than non-b

just give your working place your copy of marriage certificate / copy wife ID/ copy of wife house book (blue book) / copy of Kor2 (thats the paper she can get from the place she is registered, it shows her status), copy of your degrees. copy of your passport. thats it ohh and i think 1 big photo for the first time if you are getting your work permit. Also need a health certificate for the labor office which you can get from a local clinic around 100-200 baht. Dont forget to add that blood test too which is around 150 baht. dont listen people telling you that you need to go to a hospital. Any REGISTERED clinic will do it very cheaper than hospitals. When you get it check the blue clinic stamp. dont forget to sign all copies (only the copies of YOUR details). Your wife will sign her Id and house book also.

good luck

Thanks for your reply. I thought as much. Mad how they send you in circles and you ask 4 people and get 4 different answers. Tires me out.

Do you know if this legalising your degree certificate nonsense is true also?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tinot said:

Thanks for your reply. I thought as much. Mad how they send you in circles and you ask 4 people and get 4 different answers. Tires me out.

Do you know if this legalising your degree certificate nonsense is true also?

Thats depend on your nationality i believe. So far my 17 years in thailand and working, i never did that. I have farang co-workers in my office they didnt do either. But we had 1 guy from cameroon i know he had to get police clearence from thai police station. I give all the documents i wrote in my previous post to my office and they do the thing. 

I also heard legalising degrees. And i know it takes time. I heard like 1 month. 

Again like i said i never did it and i have work permit.

If you want to play safe, i believe you are still in your country. Just go to your university and do it. Nothing to lose. But dont forget you need to prove it here at ministery of foreign affairs.

Maybe someone else can give you a better answer about that. But again i never did it and labor office didnt say anything about it so far. 

Good luck

Just remembered, i always add my copy of degree transkated into thai by khon kaen university. I have no idea it does any good or not. But i always add it. It has some nice stamp from the university on it too. 

Another thing, just talked with my friend who extended her visa a month ago. She told me chang wattana only asked her (she has non-b) letter from the work, house rent contract. Thats it

Edited by problemfarang