90 day report question

I'm on my second 90 day Covid extension after entering Thailand on a tourist visa in December 2021.

My 90 day report date is coming up on June 1st. I'm going to Chaengwattana to do it in person and making a day trip out of it.

My question is, when I fill in the TM47 form, does it have to line up exactly with my current address as listed in the TM30 database?

I've moved around since my last TM30 report (which was in a Bangkok hotel). The juristic office in my current apartment block is very reluctant to file a TM30 bceause the landlord is overseas, and I've just about given up trying to persuade/force them to do it.

When I do my TM47, should I enter my current address, even though I haven't got a TM30?

Or should I use the last address, which was the hotel?

Or should I use the "stay a night in a hotel" method to get a new entry in the TM30 database?

Or am I way overthinking this?

Thanks for any help you can give!

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could use the address you used to get your extension or a previous 90 day report.

Thanks, @ubonjoe. The last address I used to get my extension would be the Bangkok hotel I stayed in the night before I went to immigration. So I'll use that, then.

6 minutes ago, mesothelium said:

My question is, when I fill in the TM47 form, does it have to line up exactly with my current address as listed in the TM30 database

Stick with that address for your 90 day report and move around Thailand as much as you like. 

You would only need to file a new TM30 if you changed province for your next covid extension. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Stick with that address for your 90 day report and move around Thailand as much as you like. 

You would only need to file a new TM30 if you changed province for your next covid extension. 

Cheers, @DrJack54. Still mulling over if I want to seek another Covid extension or not as I'm feeling the itch to have a change of scene for at least a couple of months.

13 minutes ago, mesothelium said:

Cheers, @DrJack54. Still mulling over if I want to seek another Covid extension or not as I'm feeling the itch to have a change of scene for at least a couple of months.

Saigon gets my vote. 

Prior to covid went there monthly. 

Edit: just thought of added tip.

If you wanted trip out of Thailand for month or so then obtaining a covid extension together with reentry permit would give you clear passage back into Thailand (via air) 

No onward flight etc required.

So 1900 for the CE and 1000 for the reentry permit.

Not as silly as it might sound. 

Edited by DrJack54

@DrJack54 Not a silly idea at all, in fact, very good fruit for thought. I've been thinking of returning home (Penang, Malaysia) for a while to deal with some administrative matters related to my late father's estate.

I was considering not going for a Covid extension at all when my current one expires (July 1) to give me a chance to do this, and then travel elsewhere.

Now I'm thinking I might just go for another Covid extension and then use the re-entry permit method to go back a week or two to deal with my admin issues.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Saigon gets my vote. 

Prior to covid went there monthly. 

Edit: just thought of added tip.

If you wanted trip out of Thailand for month or so then obtaining a covid extension together with reentry permit would give you clear passage back into Thailand (via air) 

No onward flight etc required.

So 1900 for the CE and 1000 for the reentry permit.

Not as silly as it might sound. 

Well, yeah it does sound a bit silly.  Getting a re-entry permit to be used to re-enter Thailand and keep alive a permission to stay granted specifically because the applicant can't travel due to covid. ????  I do understand that the covid situation in one's home country is a reason to receive a covid extension (so just traveling to another country wouldn't necessarily invalidate the reason the covid extension was granted), but  does anyone actually know of anyone, anywhere in Thailand, who has succeeded in getting a re-entry permit on a covid extension?

35 minutes ago, skatewash said:

but  does anyone actually know of anyone, anywhere in Thailand, who has succeeded in getting a re-entry permit on a covid extension?

A covid extension gives a 60 day permission of stay.

Any such permission can be protected by a reentry permit. 

"Well, yeah it does sound a bit silly".

Umm, I'm starting to think it's rather creative. 

Edited by DrJack54

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

A covid extension gives a 60 day permission of stay.

Any such permission can be protected by a reentry permit. 

"Well, yeah it does sound a bit silly".

Umm, I'm starting to think it's rather creative. 

My question was has anyone, anywhere in Thailand, received such a re-entry permit for a covid extension.  Not saying it's impossible, just asking the question about whether something that may not be impossible has actually happened.

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

Getting a re-entry permit to be used to re-enter Thailand and keep alive a permission to stay granted specifically because the applicant can't travel due to covid.

Where does it state that in the requirements to obtain a covid extension. 

Reminds me of all the posts along the lines ....."nothing to stop you going home"

Whatever that means. 

The Thai gov have provided option for folk to obtain covid extension. 

Edited by DrJack54

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Where does it state that in the requirements to obtain a covid extension. 

Reminds me of all the posts along the lines ....."nothing to stop you going home"

Whatever that means. 

The Thai gov have provided option for folk to obtain covid extension. 

I believe @skatewash's comment was related to the affidavit that you fill in when applying for a Covid extension.

The one where you tick "I am not permitted to enter the destination country or the pandemic situation of Covid-19 is still ongoing." which, if read literally, appears to suggest that one is staying in Thailand only because one cannot travel to a "destination country."

So, it would seem that subsequently applying for a re-entry permit would invalidate this because getting a re-entry permit presumes one is able to travel to a destination country.

I think the question here is about "policy as stated" and "policy as practised" which, as we all know, can be two very different things...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mesothelium said:

So, it would seem that subsequently applying for a re-entry permit would invalidate this because getting a re-entry permit presumes one is able to travel to a destination country.

I think the question here is about "policy as stated" and "policy as practised" which, as we all know, can be two very different things.

Lot of guess work in all of that.

I suggest that MANY tourists have traveled to Thailand (especially visa exempt) know they can extend by 30days and also obtain covid extension....s.

Doesn't that seem strange?

Not to me. Clearly government has its reasons.

The fact the gov placed it over and over into gazette is all that matters.

BTW the affidavit has been supplied by them.

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Lot of guess work in all of that.

I suggest that MANY tourists have traveled to Thailand (especially visa exempt) know they can extend by 30days and also obtain covid extension....s.

Doesn't that seem strange?

Not to me. Clearly government has its reasons.

The fact the gov placed it over and over into gazette is all that matters.

BTW the affidavit has been supplied by them.

Eliminate the guesswork then.  Do you know of someone who has obtained a re-entry permit on a covid extension?  That is the question I have been asking that has gone unanswered so far.

4 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Eliminate the guesswork then.  Do you know of someone who has obtained a re-entry permit on a covid extension?  That is the question I have been asking that has gone unanswered so far.

First up it would be unusual for anyone with covid extension to need/want a reentry permit.

Hence I have not read one report illustrating it's possible.

My suggestion was in response to fella that posted this.....

"I've been thinking of returning home (Penang, Malaysia) for a while to deal with some administrative matters related to my late father's estate". 

I can't see why it wouldn't work.

That's it!

The fella in question can ask immigration for a reentry permit and find out if there is any road block.

As for return imm officer at passport control would look at his reentry permit and stamp him in till date on permit. 

Now if you have something constructive to add then go for it.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

First up it would be unusual for anyone with covid extension to need/want a reentry permit.

That's an answer to my question, thanks.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

My suggestion was in response to fella that posted this.....

"I've been thinking of returning home (Penang, Malaysia) for a while to deal with some administrative matters related to my late father's estate". 

I can't see why it wouldn't work.

That's it!

The fella in question can ask immigration for a reentry permit and find out if there is any road block.

As for return imm officer at passport control would look at his reentry permit and stamp him in till date on permit. 

Now if you have something constructive to add then go for it.

And, as far as the fella who asked this question is concerned, all this is a theoretical exercise.

I do appreciate the suggestion, @DrJack54. It is a nice idea but, as you said, it is only workable "in principle."

Without any specific instances of people having tried this method and succeeding, the only way I have to test this idea would be to apply for a re-entry permit, leave, arrive back in Thailand, and hope to be allowed in.

Seeing that, at the end of the day, the only person whose opinion really matters is the IO, whose decision making might be influenced whether (s)he's had a bad or good day, this will remain a theoretical exercise.

The idea of travelling to and from Malaysia, just to settle some personal matters, and risking being denied entry back into Thailand, or at least being grilled for hours by an IO and their supervisor, doesn't seem like a great risk-reward to me. 

I'd still likely stick with the original plan of making this my very last Covid extension, returning to Malaysia, and planning a long visit somewhere else (I am a slow traveler) feels more sensible. I'd likely consider Thailand again in the winter once some months have passed and Thailand will feel fresh and new again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mesothelium said:

I'd still likely stick with the original plan of making this my very last Covid extension, returning to Malaysia, and planning a long visit somewhere else (I am a slow traveler) feels more sensible

Sounds like a sweet plan to me.

As I suggested earlier certainly put Vietnam on your list for consideration.