How Much To Tip Traditional Masseuses ?

Trevor

I just had a 1.5 hour foot massage and scrub for B350 at Po in Sukhumvit soi 33. The service was good and I tipped B150. This is the only place I know where they thoroughly defoliate the skin on the sole of the foot.

I then had a regular traditional body massage upstairs for B250 (2 hours) and gave B100 tip.

The tips equate to the 40% of what the masseuses retain from the customer's payment. So they effectively make a pittance, which is then doubled. And some customers don't even tip.

Would you say I tip about right?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Thai traditional massage, the only kind I like, I always tip at least 40 baht even if the massage was terrible. That's my basic tip. If she knows what she's doing and makes me feel better than when I walked in, 100 baht, occasionally more. Usually I only go for a one hour massage but if I go for two then I add a bit more, though not double.

As always only IMHO and YMMV.

Here in CM I get a 2 hour traditional Thai massage, for 200 B, at my top-secret hi-rise that even UG doesn't know about.

My minimum tip is always 100 B.

I've tipped as much as 500, but modesty (and fear of wrath from my friends the SuperMods) forbids further disclosure of details.

:o

Can guess why you're tipping and what kind of massage, but I didn't know tipping a Normal Massage lady was called for? Sometimes the massage isn't worth the 200-300Baht, so I never thought about it! Other feel as I do?

Edited by SamuiJens

For Thai traditional massage, the only kind I like, I always tip at least 40 baht even if the massage was terrible.

Why?

Do you tip a waiter 40 baht if the sevice was bad?

For a B350 massage, I'd give a maximum of B50 tip, and then it would have to be good.

Edited by Neeranam

most farang are way too stingy when it comes to tips. if i pay 250 baht for the massage, i will usually tip the girl 200 baht if she did a good job.

-------------------------

My sister in laws, friends and ex in Thailand rarely tipped anyone for anything.

They would not let me tip. They only started giving small tips themselves after I got caught a couple times sneaking back to leave tips.

If service is poor or rude I always leave a penny... :o

I once read that you are better thought of - in Thai culture - if you tip a modest amount.

Excessive tipping is seen as arrogant and belittling.

If its not a real massage i would cut it short and save their time and mine.  If its genuine then 50 baht per hour.

most farang are way too stingy when it comes to tips. if i pay 250 baht for the massage, i will usually tip the girl 200 baht if she did a good job.

My sister in laws, friends and ex in Thailand rarely tipped anyone for anything.

They would not let me tip. They only started giving small tips themselves after I got caught a couple times sneaking back to leave tips.

yes, thai people are very stingy when it comes to tipping, even those who are wealthy. It is one of the few things about Thai people that really bothers me. I really hate it when farang use the fact that many thai people are cheap as a reason not to tip.

Edited by SiamSquare123

yes, thai people are very stingy when it comes to tipping, even those who are wealthy. It is one of the few things about Thai people that really bother. I really hate it when farang use the fact that many thai people are cheap as a reason not to tip.

No they're not stingy - it's just a cultural thing.

You're NOT expected to tip anything for a traditional massage - it's a Western thing.

Would you tip the dentist or the doctor?

You cant compare a massuer with a doctor or a dentist, thats like comparing a bar girl with a bank clerk .  You would tip a bar girl  (especially in the Sailor Bar

if you dont want to be smacked over the head with a bottle)  but not a bank clerk.

(* see Pattaya news report re. German bottled for not tippping bar girl)

You're NOT expected to tip anything for a traditional massage - it's a Western thing.

I would think that depends on where you are and the cost of the massage .... tipping IS expected in many of the massage places I go ... and yes ... even the Thais tip at the places on Onnut :o

I would think that depends on where you are and the cost of the massage .... tipping IS expected in many of the massage places I go ... and yes ... even the Thais tip at the places on Onnut :o

I really don't see the difference between tipping a dentist or a professional traditional masseuse. Is there one?

I used to go to a few places around Sukhumvit(soi 49-65). I used to tip 20 baht for the blind people as they are handicapped. My wife was earning 200 baht a day then - I figure if everyone tipped the blind masseuses they'd get more than that. How would my wife feel if I were getting a 200 baht massage and giving 100 baht tip?

Even if she were earning 20,000 a day, I still wouldn't give more. I had some conversations with some of these people and they really didn't want anymore. They would feel embarassed or humiliated if someone gave them 200baht tip. The same as hairdressers.

Just curious but would you give an 80% tip to a hairdresser/barber in the West for doing the job they're employed to do at a competence level that should be expected of them ?

I certainly wouldn't.

If the massage was 250 baht I'd round it up to 300 baht. This is in no way stingy as it's more than 90% of Thais would give.

I really don't see the difference between tipping a dentist or a professional traditional masseuse. Is there one?

Masseuse not same doctor or dentist  - read carefully not  s-a-m-e.   Massuese depends on tips to make ends meet.  Doctor does not depend on tips.  can you see the difference - no, oh well.  Same same

I used to go to a few places around Sukhumvit(soi 49-65). I used to tip 20 baht for the blind people as they are handicapped. My wife was earning 200 baht a day then - I figure if everyone tipped the blind masseuses they'd get more than that. How would my wife feel if I were getting a 200 baht massage and giving 100 baht tip?

Even if she were earning 20,000 a day, I still wouldn't give more. I had some conversations with some of these people and they really didn't want anymore. They would feel embarassed or humiliated if someone gave them 200baht tip. The same as hairdressers.

Tipping a days average wage for an hour and a half massage is a fair amount, If you enjoyed it immensely then why not. The only Caveat would be if owners often see large tips then the automatic assumption (by them) is that they aren't charging enough.

Tipping a days average wage for an hour and a half massage is a fair amount, If you enjoyed it immensely then why not. The only Caveat would be if owners often see large tips then the automatic assumption (by them) is that they aren't charging enough.

:o your joking , right? What do you think a masseuse in USA would think if you gave her a tip of the nation's average wage?

Edited by Neeranam

Just curious but would you give an 80% tip to a hairdresser/barber in the West for doing the job they're employed to do at a competence level that should be expected of them ?

I certainly wouldn't.

If the massage was 250 baht I'd round it up to 300 baht. This is in no way stingy as it's more than 90% of Thais would give.

ya think? I think that would be about average that a Thai would give on a 250 baht massage

I often go to places on Onnut that charge 100 baht/hour for foot massage or Thai massage .... ... I watch what people tip ... there are a few cheapskates that tip 10 or 20 baht ... but the vast majority tip 40 ... and I tip 50 :o

ya think? I think that would be about average that a Thai would give on a 250 baht massage

I often go to places on Onnut that charge 100 baht/hour for foot massage or Thai massage .... ... I watch what people tip ... there are a few cheapskates that tip 10 or 20 baht ... but the vast majority tip 40 ... and I tip 50

Thai or farang?

I'd say the average Thai tip in Bangkok for a 100b massage would be under 20 baht.

In Khon Kaen it would be zero.

:o your joking , right? What do you think a masseuse in USA would think if you gave her a tip of the nation's average wage?

I meant "fair" as in quite a lot.

I certainly wouldn't.

I often go to places on Onnut that charge 100 baht/hour for foot massage or Thai massage .... ... I watch what people tip ... there are a few cheapskates that tip 10 or 20 baht ... but the vast majority tip 40 ... and I tip 50 :o

I was wondering where the other 10% went for their massages.

I like foot and oil massage.

I spent a lot of time inside Massage-Shops during my Thai-Time. (usually 1 Hour).

I always used to tip the masseuse from 20 THB(massage=not good) to 60 THB (massage= good).

I think is more than fair.

Manu

I like foot and oil massage.

I spent a lot of time inside Massage-Shops during my Thai-Time. (usually 1 Hour).

I always used to tip the masseuse from 20 THB(massage=not good) to 60 THB (massage= good).

I think is more than fair.

Manu

I agree that 60b is more than fair, but why tip for one that is not good?

you mean the nation's minimum wage .....

but really comparing a massuer/massuesse to a day laborer is daft at the very best! Comparing one to a Doctor is ....... hel_l I can't think of the word!

a 10 or 20 baht tip is just CHEAP ... the Thai folks I know would be embarrassed by that if you did it in front of them ....

There is a reason that people making 200 baht a day do not go for professional massage ... the same reason they don't sit in Gold Class theaters .... so using your wife as an excuse is kinda sad!