Oh Grandad! Nonagenarian didn't renew his Thai ID for nearly 40 years - now he has a Smart Card!

webfact

image.jpeg

77kaoded Thai Caption: Grandad didn't renew his ID for 40 years

77kaoded reported on a charming story from Sa Kaeo province about a 95 year old man called Kaew Thongdeenork who hadn't renewed his Thai ID card for nearly 40 years.

The last time he did was when Wang Sombun was a sub-district not a district. 

And that was April 1st 2526 or 1983.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

image.jpeg

Kaew turned up with about ten of his relatives with his old ID that was still in pretty good shape.

District chief Kijja Saowaros helped the old man with compiling the evidence needed and a new card was done in just seven minutes and presented to him by local official Rayes Rai.

It was all smiles but Kaew was not letting on why he had not renewed his card for so long.

Neither was there any talk of a fine, notes ASEAN NOW. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

My wife's Thai ID under Date of Expiry says LIFELONG.

Thai driver licenses used to be lifelong too.  I have some Thai friends that have them.  I think they stopped doing that about 15-20 years ago.

2 hours ago, rwill said:

Thai driver licenses used to be lifelong too.  I have some Thai friends that have them.  I think they stopped doing that about 15-20 years ago.

Does that mean until you get killed in a road accident?   555

2 hours ago, rwill said:

Yeah, get past 60 and they assume that you won't last long enough to need a new one ???? 

Both Madam's Thai ID and my foreigner ID (pink card) are "for life".

3 hours ago, rwill said:

Don't think it was that long ago, OK not 20 years ago cause my wife has a lifelong drivers license as well. Just now thinking ....we've been together about 30 years so maybe time flies.

• Haha 1