Prayuth latest: Has a swipe at social media for always making trouble where there is none

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

....but annoyed that detractors - especially those on social media - were always picking a fight over nothing.

Hey, welcome to running one of the more democratically managed countries in the world, where you have to take the incoming complaints. We're lucky in Thailand to have a pretty much open press and social media, with a few caveats, to be able to to assess the good with the bad. Thin skinned leaders in such societies need to learn that that's the price of assuming leadership. Yeah, he could close down all the opposing papers and social media, like Putin, but he hasn't, and he won't -- as he has more fairmindeness than many give him credit for.  Or, at least more common sense.

Only positive I can deduce is it’s not as bad as Burma....

... or China, Laos, Vietnam, Russia, Belorussia, other Pinko nations. Christ, even Malaysia and Singapore have stricter laws than Thailand about what can be said openly in criticism.

Prahut will always be known as an illegitimate leader. And this will always lead boored media writers to have their lead ins as the reason why things are so bad. I suggest a fairly elected leader 8 years ago would not have done better, with this Covid situation, than has Prayut. But we'll never know. And, of course, we'll always hear, "How can a military general govern effectively"? Might I suggest Eisenhower? Or even Grant? These guys didn't get to their positions by being dummies. Yingluck? Got her position through family name, and that, sadly, voters never are smart enough to elect the right person, particularly when the right person isn't even in the election (the current American dilemna).

No, Prayut, just wade on with the slings and arrows of political leadership. Just hope you get a fair biography in the end.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

looks very much, like he was flying on a vip jet burning around $5000 worth of fuel per hour.

At the same time he asked people not to take their kids to school by car, because it's needless 

You are right of course, he should have gone to Japan on foot, along with all its entourage. Flying a "vip jet" as you say is what most prime ministers around the world do, not so much for comfort as for efficiency: take off at any unscheduled time they please as required by emergencies or other pressing matters, for example. May I also add that, as you surely know, prime ministers do not organize their own trips and do not check how many dollars per hour they cost.

I am certainly not a fan of Prayuth, of the way he came to power, of the objectionable new election rules, and so on. However, I view comments like yours as absolutely populistic and a perfect example of the way that social media is pervaded by people who are out just to get likes from other social users. Which, I am sorry to say, is exactly Prayuth's point. Also sorry to see you stoop so low, when I do respect many other of your posts.

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

.However, I view comments like yours as absolutely populistic and a perfect example of the way that social media is pervaded by people who are out just to get likes from other social users.

And per the just above, as Maynard G. Krebs would say: You rang?