Visa options

Hi all, I came to Thailand six months ago to work as a volunteer at a university in the north–east. I have a non-immigrant B visa valid until 4 December 2003. This visa is required to be stamped every 90 days.

It was supposed by the university (apparently incorrectly) that as a volunteer I did not require a work permit. I have worked here since January without one. A chance visit to Immigration set this straight. The university has now applied for the permit on my behalf. The application and documents were submitted to the Labour Office. Now the Labour Office has requested a further document—basically a letter that someone at the university is required to write. My head of department offered to write the letter but whenever I ask him about it he is either ‘busy’ or ‘it is difficult’. I don’t fully understand what is required as the communication takes place in Thai.

Next week classes start for the new semester. If I do not have my work permit I cannot legally work. In fact, I believe I am not entitled to stay as this visa is conditional on my obtaining a work permit. I would appreciate comments on my situation from those with more experience in this area.

My goal is to stay in SE Asia on an ongoing basis and to base myself in Thailand for as much of the time as possible. I don’t need to work as I can support myself financially. However, I see work as a way of participating in and contributing to the community I live in. I am not rich but my needs are simple. I am 55 but do not have the wealth that would qualify me for a retired persons visa. I come from Australia and have dual Australian / British citizenship.

Assuming the work permit is not forthcoming I would like to review my options and would appreciate members thoughts on these also.

For the time being I expect I will head to Laos mainly because it is relatively close and I have contacts there. When my time there has expired I could apply for a 60 day tourist visa. After 60 days I could leave the country—gee, there are so many interesting countries in SE Asia to choose from—stay in the country of choice for the limit of the tourist visa available in that country and then apply once again to visit Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa. I assume I could continue this process indefinitely.

Another option might be to return on a visa on arrival for 30 days, hang around somewhere pleasant for that time, cross a border somewhere and return again on a 30 day visa on arrival. Once again, I assume I could continue this process indefinitely.

Thanks for your thoughts.

:o

Maybe a reality check is required.

You are not going to get your work permit by people who keep avoiding the matter.  A very polite Thai way of saying sorry but "mai ben lai" because they have no personal incentive to help, if you know waht I mean!   Especially if it would incriminate them for helping you.

Good Luck

Sev

:cool:

Hi Feolf,

I sincerely wish you well in your Voluntary work. However, why crack your brain at age 55 trying to offer free services to the patently ungrateful, who in reality don't want any of us ??

:o

Try writing the letter yourself, and ask him to put it on the University stationery and signing it.  If it has to be in Thai, write it yourself, get someone to translate it into Thai, and present it to him for transfer to University stationery and he'll probably sign it.  

I did this at two universities to get them approved for the G.I. Bill and had no hassles.  

The principle is that you don't ask your boss or someone higher up to do menial tasks.  Make it easy for him, and he'll make it easy for you.

Land entry into Th has always required a confirmed outbound airticket within 30 and that rule is being enforced

That is sure news to me as I have never heard of any such requirement for land travel and would expect this to be headline news if true.  Are you saying immigration will not issue a 30 day entry to anyone at a land crossing now unless they have an air ticket out of Thailand within 30 days?  I just can not believe this.  Even with the TiT notation.

So Lop some punter walkingacross a border
How did this become a class struggle?  If someone travels from Malaysia to Thailand via train or car it would be normal to expect that they would return in the same manner (not with an air ticket).  If what you say is true it should be widely posted and people made aware of it because it just has not been true in the past.

Thanks to all who have responded. Your comments help me to see things from various viewpoints -- which must be the beauty of this sort of forum.

Another staff member here has taken up my case. We will see where that leads. I will keep you informed through this forum. I am still looking at other options. I have no expectations that anyone else will do too much on my behalf.

Sev, please explain how my head of department might be incriminated by helping me. I might add that I am not attempting to break the law. Mind you, you wouldn’t have to try very hard to become a criminal. My goal however is to set things right.

Assuming I go to Laos or anywhere else, I had seen my prospective return to Thailand as being a land crossing. There seems to be some disagreement among members as to what the requirements are for this. It would seem logical to me that if you enter the country by land that you might also leave by land. However rules and regulations are not always logical.

The sixty day visa option would be preferable in any case. Assuming they want the same thing there -- well, I have no problem with buying a ticket from Hat Yai to Penang (or something similar) after two months. That is not outside my budget. And I believe some airlines are flexible about changing ticket dates and destinations in case something else comes up.

What proof is needed for means of living expenses. Can I print my bank statement from the internet? It shows I have funds well in excess of 10,000 baht.

Thanks again. Look forward to your further responses.

Cheers

Feolf

Double entry tourist visa expired on monday 2/6/03 after all extensions used up, so as I wished to stay in Thailand a little longer I drove to Nong Khai and crossed over to Laos via the Friendship Bridge. Stayed about 15 minutes and returned to Thailand. The officer at the border, stamped my passport,  (which has about 15 Entry stamps to Thailand) without question, did not ask for an airline ticket or any other proof of ability to leave the country after 30 days, I was through in seconds. I have been in/out of Laos this way a couple of times and never had a problem.  ::o:

Most of my Thai friends can live for a long time on 10,000 baht, Dr P. Perhaps my tastes are nearer to theirs than yours. In any case, as I said my account is [/b]well in excess of this. The point, surely, is not how much I have but how do I prove it to their satisfaction?

And you don't get rid of me that easily.

Cheers

Feolf

Hi Feolf,

I beleive the rules about proof of funds

in relation to Tourist Visa is that you should

have US$500 Cash available to show the

Immigation Officer at point of Entry.

I have never been asked to produce this.

But I do know Holders of "Less Desirable" Passports

who have been.

Roger

The way you are treated by immigration is based on your appearance and attitude. Being smartly dressed with long trousers, and being polite and smiling will ensure a smooth passage. Many people come to Thailand, and will automatically receive 30 days on entry without any questions asked. If they ask about an outward ticket (highly unlikely), you simply say that you intend to visit neighbouring countries by land, and you don't want the expense of making the trip by air, so you do not have a ticket. In fact many people visiting Thailand do this, and it would discourage tourism enforcing the rule, hence why its not enforced.

I have walked in and out of Thailand to Lao several times and once even took a boat over and back at a non entry point with some thai friends ( they grabed us) but never needed anything more then my passport.  Did get a very stern talk at on the boat crossing deal, anyway it looked stern, we had a language problem which probably worked in my favor, he just got worn out.   Mostly, as already has been said - dress neat, shave, comb your hair, then smile and smile and smile a lot.  That is until the policeman/border guy trys to impress you, then look impressed and smile more!   I'll back in Thailand next month traveling cross country from Vietnam, any tips?     Doug       ???

Epilogue

Last Monday classes resumed. I could not find my Head of Department. Saw him on Tuesday and he said, 'I have written your letter but would like to get someone to check it before I print it.'

Wednesday I didn't go to the office.

Thursday morning I get a message from the university admin to say that my work permit is ready at the Labour Office. Gee - he must have sent that letter already. But when I see him he says, 'I am busy, I will print your letter in the morning.'

Friday I take the letter with me to the Labour Office. They don't ask for it. I don't offer it. I get my work permit.

Thanks again to all those who have participated in this forum.

Feolf :cool: