Elite Visa VS Retirement Visa

Hey was just wondering if anyone that has the elite visa would recommend it?  I was looking at getting it but then noticed the retirement visa starts at age 50 correct?  Wanted to get a drivers licence so not sure if retirement visa allows that.  Would like to hear from anyone that has Elite and if they like it and also if people with the retirement visa are happy with that.  Thanks

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Hey was just wondering if anyone that has the elite visa would recommend it?

You are aware it's cost is 600k.

How are are you? 

If over 50 then why not obtain a non O retirement and live here on extensions..

The TDL in your OP is sort of irrelevant unrelated. 

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You are aware it's cost is 600k.

How are are you? 

If over 50 then why not obtain a non O retirement and live here on extensions..

The TDL in your OP is sort of irrelevant unrelated. 

Yup Im aware of the costs.  Just not fully aware of all the benefits so was hoping someone who had it could tell me if its really worth it.  Are the extensions for the retirement visa difficult or annoying to do?  Im looking for as easy a time as possible, Im not 50 yet but its getting closer so it is something to consider.  Not married.  

Edited by TheLaughingMan

I applied for a Retirement Visa just before covid. I spent a lot of time and some money getting everything together for my very first one.

Then covid hit and there were delay after delay and the Thai Embassy in the USA would not approve it. Then after 6 months of holding all my documents then sent it back and said all of my documents expired and I must start over.

I am a very busy person and have a lot of investment funds and a very nice income stream, so I chose the Thailand Elite Visa (Elite Superiority Extension) good for 20 years at 1 million baht.

I have no regrets and am very happy I did it.  I don't have to worry about anything for 18 1/2 more years. 

I do not get all the perks but I do use them for the 90 day reporting and the greet at the airport/fast track services.

• Like 2

I'm unclear on the HEALTH INSURANCE requirements when on the Elite.

Upon application. Required or not? If required, what specs exactly?

When doing in country extensions. Required or not? If required, what specs exactly?

When reentering Thailand when you get a new one year stamp. Required or not? If required, what specs exactly?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

I applied for a Retirement Visa just before covid. I spent a lot of time and some money getting everything together for my very first one.

Then covid hit and there were delay after delay and the Thai Embassy in the USA would not approve it. Then after 6 months of holding all my documents then sent it back and said all of my documents expired and I must start over.

I am a very busy person and have a lot of investment funds and a very nice income stream, so I chose the Thailand Elite Visa (Elite Superiority Extension) good for 20 years at 1 million baht.

I have no regrets and am very happy I did it.  I don't have to worry about anything for 18 1/2 more years. 

I do not get all the perks but I do use them for the 90 day reporting and the greet at the airport/fast track services.

The 90 day reporting service is only for the Bangkok area.

Currently living in Pattaya, the online 90 reporting upgrade is super super easy so to me such a service would have no value even if available. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Upon application. Required or not? If required, what specs exactly?

When doing in country extensions. Required or not? If required, what specs exactly?

When reentering Thailand when you get a new one year stamp. Required or not? If required, what specs exactly?

It is currently the same as all other travelers.

I purchased a policy for 8 months (go back to USA in January).

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The 90 day reporting service is only for the Bangkok area.

Currently living in Pattaya, the online 90 reporting upgrade is super super easy so to me such a service would have no value even if available. 

Not true. 

You take it to a place near Big C Extra called N.A. Services (Thailand) Co LTD. 

They are contracted with Thailand Elite.

Though I have heard the new online system is easy and I may try it next time.

Edited by PoodThaiMaiDai
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There is no insurance requirement for a Thai Elite visa. Only the $10,000 covid 19 insurance is needed for entry to the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Are the extensions for the retirement visa difficult or annoying to do?  Im looking for as easy a time as possible, Im not 50 yet but its getting closer so it is something to consider

Extension to a non O based on retirement are absolute walk in the park.

Especially if you use money in the bank method.

No health insurance requirement.

How old are you. You say close to 50 does that mean 48.

• Like 1

Should add to the above - it also depends on whether you use the income method or the 800 baht in the bank method and, if income method, whether your Embassy issues letters.  Using the income method with an Embassy that still issues the letters (most of them except US, UK and maybe Australia?) you are spared needing much if any documentation from the bank.

And re bank documentation, easier for the 800K method than the income method, and also depends on your bank - those with a lot of farang customers are much more clued in, if living upcountry with a bank that few or no other foreign retirees, it can be a battle unto itself to explain and get what you need.

• Like 2