What is the best microphone (moderate budget, 100 to 125 USD) for narrating/recording an Audiobook?

GammaGlobulin

Dear Friends,

I am thinking of doing two things this year.

a.  I will read and record a book that I like, long past the copyright, from The Gutenberg Project:  https://www.gutenberg.org/

b. I will begin to help a few deserving students from China with "accent reduction" in order to improve their spoken English-language intelligibility, via the internet.

The most important tool I will need is a very decent microphone.

Microphones have become cheaper and cheaper, maybe due to the progress of the technology.

And, as we know, maybe this new tech has something to do with rare-earth magnets, for sure.

So, are there any guys here who might suggest the best mic for this very moderate budget of less than USD125.00?

I think it is best to post this topic in the Farang Pub.

Why?

The Farang Pub is where you will find people who are both intelligent and experienced.

Also, there is no doubt that there are plenty of guys here, in the Farang Pub, who have written books and recorded them. As well, people here have probably been in the same boat as I, needing a very good, almost studio-quality mic, at a reasonable cost.

Of course, I know about the Snow Ball, as do you.

image.jpeg.c2fac9928b2d54e1f224fbddbe8308d9.jpeg

But, although the Snowball was great, almost 10 years ago.....yet, shouldn't there be something much better, these days?

The main point is that I need a mic which will capture ever breath I take, and every mistake I make.

I am now using a Logitech top of the line webcam...for recording audio.

However, this solution is not adequate from an audio perspective.

I bet that others here might be looking for a solution to this same problem.

Just in case you know....

Let us know.

Thank you.

Regards,

Gamma

Please note that I am not saying that I need a rare-earth magnet in my mic.

I am not even saying that I need a dynamic microphone.

I am only asking about what are the best mics used by guys who narrate books, professionally.

Also, as mentioned above, I will use this mic for helping a few students, deserving ESL students, to assist them with accent reduction...

Therefore, sound quality is paramount.

If you want to know just how important sound quality might be, if one were to help an ESL student to rectify poor English pronunciation problems...

Then, there is always Pygmalion.

3 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

For that kind of money you should be able to get something of high quality - 'prosumer'.

Think about a Blue Yeti.  Multiple pattern filters and solidly made. A pop filter will be essential.

Sorry...

"pop filter"?

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sorry...

"pop filter"?

Pop filter or pop shield reduces air velocity onto the mic from plosives during spoken word recording. Without it your speech will sound harsh and 'pop'. They are cheap (think c.500 baht).

• Thanks 1

Also, would JIB be the best place to buy a mic?

I have had fairly good luck, in the past, with this company for purchase of computer components.

Almost no complaints.

(Except: These JIB salespeople-whippersnappers at JIB often treat me like I know nothing.  They prefer guys who are gamers, is my opinion.  Yet, they have never programmed an IBM 360/370 using Fortran.  And they no nothing of the DEC10).

image.jpeg.c19d6e1a2a7c3f1275ee056d85cbb86c.jpeg

What is the DEC-10?

Guys at JIB have no idea.

Also, they know nothing about mics, either, I would assume.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

But, as I say....at JIB...I don't get no respect, just like Rodney Dangerfield.

Anyone buying anything, who is over the age of 60, at JIB, often is treated like we are old, and computers are some sort of new thing beyond our ken.

Somebody should ask these JIB sales technicians if they have any inkling what the Josephson effect might be.

Or, can they explain how a transistor works.

Or, maybe ask them if they think there are any transistors inside their CPUs.....

USB MICROPHONE (USB microphone) BLUE YETI X:

Price:  Bt.9,990.00 at JIB, for example.

Looks good.

But, where to find it for a lot less?

Anyone know?

Or, is there a better mic for less?

I have ALWAYS been extremely pleased with all of the Logitech products that I have purchased, over the years.

On Amazon, this mic is about Bt.4500.00 if delivered to the States.

Just saying...

4 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

For that kind of money you should be able to get something of high quality - 'prosumer'.

Think about a Blue Yeti.  Multiple pattern filters and solidly made. A pop filter will be essential.

As you say....

Blue Yeti X

Tks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this query, but I am now ready to buy:

In conclusion, for USD150.00 or under....

What would be the best microphone for a Voice Coach/Language Coach, La-la-la?

Also...  Where is the best place to buy a microphone in Thailand?

I am not a middling coach.

And, therefore, I cannot do with a middling microphone.

Thank you, and regards....

Dont forget the enviroment where you plan to do your work, and do find a good solution to avoid unnecessary noise pick up by the mic. Carpets, curtains etc can do magic together with filters. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know what kind of mic this guy is using?

Seems like a dynamite microphone.

I would like to buy the same mic, but I have been unable to identify the brand and model number.  (I actually contacted this guy by email, to ask, but he never replied.)

Anyone know?

(Serious request for info...No Jokes, please. (Or, you can make jokes, but please first provide the brand and model number. Tks.))

This mic is one of the best I have listened to, so far, on YouTube....

Edited by GammaGlobulin

One more example of an adequate mic:

This woman is an excellent teacher of pronunciation and enunciation.

She seems to have found one of the best mics, as well.

What mic is she using.

(Also, if you want to get really turned on, she has some closeups of her lips producing many difficult sounds.  But, this topic is not posted in jets; so I will not go further mentioning her luscious teeth and lips, in this case.)

Suffice to say, I must buy a dynamite mic for USD150.00, or under.

The Seti X, on Amazon reviews, really seems not worth considering....

But, I am no expert.

The reason I have posted the video in this comment is just to show an example of the quality I need....

I.e., this quality..or...better.

One more video from Teach saying FILTHY, and other words.

Rachel is a super teacher, in my humble opinion.

She has a good mic.

She has hot lips, too.

But, I am now most interested in the best mic for doing accent reduction work, in real time.

My lips are nothing like Rachel's lips.

She is a dedicated teacher.

Please note:  I think the mic is not quite as good as the one used by the psychologist in the video I posted above.

But, she is micer to look at...

On 5/30/2022 at 12:53 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

The main point is that I need a mic which will capture ever breath I take, and every mistake I make.

Every mistake you make is probably good, every breath you take is incredibly bad.

I would look to someone like Leo Laporte of the TWIT network at twit.tv he has been a broadcaster for years and later a podcaster since 2005 you can be sure that the microphones he uses do the job 

he had an episode specifically on microphones https://twit.tv/shows/know-how/episodes/217 it’s a bit dated however microphone technology is mature and virtually all you get is “hair and makeup” changes to entice you to boy something “new”

noise cancelling tech is virtually the only way headsets are improving.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

12 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Does anyone know what kind of mic this guy is using?

Seems like a dynamite microphone.

I would like to buy the same mic, but I have been unable to identify the brand and model number.  (I actually contacted this guy by email, to ask, but he never replied.)

Anyone know?

(Serious request for info...No Jokes, please. (Or, you can make jokes, but please first provide the brand and model number. Tks.))

This mic is one of the best I have listened to, so far, on YouTube....

Looks like a Shure SM7B Microphone, if one compares pics for this device.

In some of his other videos it looks that he was also using a Shure MV7 microphone.

https://www.shure.com/en-ASIA/products/microphones/mv7

https://www.shure.com/en-ASIA/products/microphones/sm7b

Edited by userabcd