One year pre-paid mobile plan (AIS in my case but others do it too) 1400 Baht

Firefan

I am aware that AIS (and others sell 1 year pre-paid Simcards/plans. Example from Lazada below:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-ais-the-one-sim-ais-marathon-ais-15mbps-1-100gb-1-a-lot-i1395498609-s3566684413.html?freeshipping=1&search=1&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.i40.3e313892vVpBeD

This is much cheaper for most of us living here - but can it be added or changed from to a plan/number I already have? Why do I see the options NOWHERE on their homepage OR in MyAIS on my phone? Why does it need to be bought from re-sellers like Lazada and Shopee Etc.? 1400 Baht for a year is a bargain (Incl. some free calling Etc.) compared to the 400 Baht or so I pay per month currently.

Anyone that can answer some of my questions?

These Lazada things are nice/cheap, but It would be a lot nicer if you got the Code to punch in your phone instead of a NEW Sim!

I would get it but I just won't get a new sim thus a new number!

@scubascuba3 Good point, I just switched from DTAC -> AIS keeping the same number (which was pretty painless) so for me that won't work I think :whistling:

The irony is that we can even KEEP our own number and switch to another mobile provider, but then not to these promotions? Scuba; I might want to try that out.

What is AIS Direct? A Google came up with some group business account.

I'm looking for something like this as well:

[ ส่งฟรี ] Sim DTAC ซิมคงกระพัน 15Mbps ไม่ลดสปีด เน็ตทั้งปี ไม่มีหมด internet Unlimited โทรฟรี ซิมเทพดีแทค ซิมดีแทค 15mbps 1ปี มีใบกำกับภาษี ราคาถูก Simnet 789 | Lazada.co.th

Just need to be clear that it includes unlimited hotspot usage.

Not sure about DTac though. I've found AIS to be incredibly good in terms of data speed so at least it is something that I know. As always, depends on the area.

I gave up on AIS. I had Sims for both DTAC and AIS in my phone, but had my DTAC number linked to LINE, and it was the number I remembered. Therefore it was the one I used most of the time. I used to put a 100 Baht on AIS from time to time, but somehow it seemed to leak the money away. I went to the AIS shop several times but they could never give a clear explanation.

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

I've ordered the DTac one, will see how it goes.

I have it since a while as a second SIM.

It allows hotspot sharing, speed capping gives no free lunch (15 to the point).

60 min/month phone calls to all Thai mobile networks included.

DTAC coverage/signal strenght is worse than AIS in my area and most others I tested.

But it's good enough for the 15 Mbit/s as a backup and on the road.

You can online register the SIM yourself.

Was a bit strenuous (two or three attempts with uploading of ID and selfie) but in the end it worked.

Otherwise you have to do at some DTAC service point.

The DTAC app is useful to check usage/phone credit...

Edited by KhunBENQ

15Mb is fast enough for my needs. The vendor does the registration for you if I read their messages correctly, give them ID and selfie as you suggest.

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I have it since a while as a second SIM.

It allows hotspot sharing, speed capping gives no free lunch (15 to the point).

60 min/month phone calls to all Thai mobile networks included.

DTAC coverage/signal strenght is worse than AIS in my area and most others I tested.

But it's good enough for the 15 Mbit/s as a backup and on the road.

You can online register the SIM yourself.

Was a bit strenuous (two or three attempts with uploading of ID and selfie) but in the end it worked.

Otherwise you have to do at some DTAC service point.

The DTAC app is useful to check usage/phone credit...

Slightly off topic, but some people may find this useful.

For me the DTAC online registration was a nightmare. I was unable to get the selfie to work after a lot of attempts. Then I found that the easiest way to register my DTAC sim was by using LINE app. There is an Official Account within LINE called Dtac Register. Very straight forward.

Screenshot_25650607_073039.jpgScreenshot_25650607_072945.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng
add border to image
  • Like 1

The one year SIMs are legit - I've used several different ones over the years and use one right now - but they have a "promotion" tariffs. It means that:

- you could NOT use this tariff on your existing number

- you could NOT buy them in a mobile provider office/kiosk shop

- but you COULD register them in a mobile provider office/kiosk instead of struggling with the provider's "app". Don't forget to bring your original passport.

- you could NOT prolong/extend their validity - you have to buy another SIM after 1 year passes

Edited by fdsa

Just now, fdsa said:

The one year SIMs are legit - I've used several different ones over the years and use one right now - but they have a "promotion" tariffs. It means that:

- you could NOT use this tariff on your existing number

- you could NOT buy them in a mobile provider office/kiosk shop

- but you COULD register them in a mobile provider office/kiosk instead of struggling with the provider's "app". Don't forget to bring your original passport.

- you could NOT prolong/extend their validity - you have to buy another SIM after 1 year passes

I bought an AIS 1-year prepay SIM from Lazada. (The one linked in the first post, I think). I registered with the App and it was straight forward.

At the end of the year AIS said I couldn't renew that package, but there were other (more expensive) options I could change to. I bought one of them for 6 months, so I could keep my number, and then about a month later (6 weeks or so after the original package expired), I got a notification in the app saying I didn't have sufficient funds to renew the original package. I added the extra credit, and it renewed. Now I have 2 packages for the next 4 months ????. I don't know if it was just a glitch or what, but I will see what happens next year.