Return flight when intending to extend visa.

I have just booked a 60 day return flight to Thailand from uk. I will arrive 30 day visa exempt and then extend for 30 days. Previously I had booked a 30 day return and had to pay extra to alter the flight to 60 days. Is the 60 day return acceptable? 

The airline you travel to here on can aks to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival. It can be a one way ticket to anywhere or a temporary onward ticket you find online.

OK. Thanks. So I need to buy a throw away ticket for 30 days. I am flying with Thai Airways. They will see that I have a 60 day return. Does that matter if I have the 30 day throw away? By the way, which is the best throw away website? 

2 minutes ago, Petethefeet said:

OK. Thanks. So I need to buy a throw away ticket for 30 days. I am flying with Thai Airways. They will see that I have a 60 day return. Does that matter if I have the 30 day throw away? By the way, which is the best throw away website? 

If you have one way ticket out the country it will be accepted. Check onwardticket.com

6 minutes ago, Petethefeet said:

Buy throw away ticket...it's a real onward flight. Cheapest possible.

A Google on sites such as Skyscanner you will find the.

~ 1400b BKK to eg Phnom Penh.

You can also look at "rent a ticket" just Google "onward flight".

The other option is to roll the dice and if it's an issue then buy an on the spot throw away.

Given you have a return ticket within the 60 you could explain your intention of obtaining 30 day extension.

Edited by DrJack54

Thanks Ubon Joe and Dr Jack. I think I will buy a throw away. It might be a bit stressful trying to buy a ticket online in a busy airport with queues of impatient travellers waiting behind me. Supplementary question. I am 73 with no medical history. Travel insurance becomes expensive. Last 2 times I travelled with Emirates who had inclusive covid insurance. Is it better to buy Thai health insurance for 2 months? Thanks again. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If he wants a 60 day stay then visa exempt and extension is good option.

Indeed.  Just wondered what is wrong with getting a tourist visa.  Applied for and issued online, no embassy visit or mailing of passport, cheaper than a real/fake outbound ticket + in Thailand extension and avoids the pleasure af a trip to immigration.  Are there some onerous requirements I have not read about?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Just wondered what is wrong with getting a tourist visa.

Nothing at all.

From the OP.....

"Previously I had booked a 30 day return and had to pay extra to alter the flight to 60 days"

Sounds like he may have intention of just a 30 day day, then changed his mind? 

Couple of friends from USA, who come every year on TV.....opted for visa exempt this trip just gone as the tourist visas in February were taking some time.

In any event both options work.

10 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Indeed.  Just wondered what is wrong with getting a tourist visa.  Applied for and issued online, no embassy visit or mailing of passport, cheaper than a real/fake outbound ticket + in Thailand extension and avoids the pleasure af a trip to immigration.  Are there some onerous requirements I have not read about?

Well not onerous but they have taken away flexibility.Before online e visa I would get a tourist visa from a Thai consulate.All they wanted was my passport,Passport sized photos and fill out the form with my personal details.I would  have a tourist visa in passport and book my flight at my convenience and then sort out accommodation when I get there.

Now before they give you a tourist visa they want to see you have a booked flight already and show you have accommodation pre booked.I also used to book my flight on the day before travel.That now is not possible because of wait time to get tourist e visa back.

Edited by Hmunker

14 minutes ago, Hmunker said:

Now before they give you a tourist visa they want to see you have a booked flight already......

Back in the my days of obtaining tourist visas for Thailand in Saigon thai consulate, I was always required to show a flight into Thailand. Hard copy. 

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Back in the my days of obtaining tourist visas for Thailand in Saigon thai consulate, I was always required to show a flight into Thailand. Hard copy. 

It seems from what I have seen over the years is that the decision would be made by the head of the local consulate.I am from the Uk and I think we used to have something like 6 consulates around the Uk.Checked their websites some wanted you to pre book the flights others didn’t.

I also checked a few years ago the consulates in the US.I’m sure one or two of them again would not look for pre booked flights.

16 minutes ago, Hmunker said:

It seems from what I have seen over the years is that the decision would be made by the head of the local consulate.I am from the Uk and I think we used to have something like 6 consulates around the Uk.Checked their websites some wanted you to pre book the flights others didn’t.

I also checked a few years ago the consulates in the US.I’m sure one or two of them again would not look for pre booked flights.

The consulates in the UK were honorary consulates but they have now been closed for over 2 years due to covid 19 and they probably will not open again.

In the US there are 3 official Thai consulates (New York, Chicago and Los Angeles) and of course the embassy in DC.. There were also several honorary Thai consulates that are now closed.

• Like 1