It pays to go off the beaten track in Thailand

webfact

I can attest to the great sights and oh so enjoyable north western corner of LOS. The Mai Hon Song Loop (start in pretty Chiang Mai) an easy and wonderful to ride or drive. I've ridden it a few times on 350 ADV and 750 ADV and its such lovely countryside. I have been so lucky as I/we did it post lockdown in later 2020 and the roads were almost empty so truly a magical time to be there. You can drive around and explore take a detour to Chiang Rai and many other spots. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Agree 100 % with OP, and most of our out & abouts are OTBT.

_DSN0944.jpg

100_3183.JPG

100_2449.JPG

100_2461.JPG

100_2462.JPG

Been here five years and still haven't seen much, due to a divorce and the nonsense afterwards, but I do want to see north Thailand, Chiang Mai, etc while I still live here. Been to Kanchanaburi and the war sites around there and they were nice.

Edited by fredwiggy

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

I can attest to the great sights and oh so enjoyable north western corner of LOS. The Mai Hon Song Loop (start in pretty Chiang Mai) an easy and wonderful to ride or drive. I've ridden it a few times on 350 ADV and 750 ADV and its such lovely countryside. I have been so lucky as I/we did it post lockdown in later 2020 and the roads were almost empty so truly a magical time to be there. You can drive around and explore take a detour to Chiang Rai and many other spots. 

Photo of rice (Doi Inthanon, CM) was early lockdown, and travel frowned upon, and as noted, roads virtual empty.

Youngins was Sangkhlaburi - Mon Bridge & 3 pagoda pass area.

Along with Refugee village, as noted, along Myanmar border (MHS) pre-fire, pre-c19, quite some time ago. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

off-the-beaten-track stories to share too.

When I lived in Thailand, I was resident in the Chiang Rai/Phayao region where I was a Tourist Police Volunteer. May I suggest visiting these three locations which I am sure will be of interest:

DOI MAE SALONG with its tea and coffee plantations.

Doi Mae Salong

DOI TUNG - with its magnificent gardens and Royal Villa

Doi Tung Palace : 'Feel the smell of Lanna in the middle of flower garden.'

Doi Tung Tour Chiang Rai

PHAYAO - a lakeside resort with its promenade and views across to the mountains

Phayao Guide: All You Need To Know About Visiting - Expique

• Like 1

Took similar route … rented motorcycles in Chiang Mai from big bike rentals 400/500 cc three of us around the loop 5 days taking it easy enjoying the sights. Rental shop told of places / hotels to stay 

all accommodations were good ..  I think most expensive was $25 USD (750 ish baht). A lot of off the road trails … really a great trip would do it again…. 

3 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Interesting thread for me because I have some family visiting Thailand later this year and we plan to travel this area. What are the road gradients like? i.e. are there very steep inclines?

All roads are quite good, and I've done the trips in entry level Vios & Mazda2 (1.5L) with no issues.  Many do it on 125cc scooters, slow going but no issues.

Pai is hardly "off the beaten track" , its a tourist town , full of businesses to cater for tourists and full of Thais there from places other than Pai .

Most of the town has been built in the last 20 years and it seems to be non stop resorts along the roads

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Pai is hardly "off the beaten track" , its a tourist town , full of businesses to cater for tourists and full of Thais there from places other than Pai .

Most of the town has been built in the last 20 years and it seems to be non stop resorts along the roads

Agree, pre c19 and you'd see more non, than Thais doing the 'loop', CM, Pai MHS.  Would describe as more 'out of the metros'.

Yup. Escape from the touristy walking street to the great unexplored Soi Yodsak much further north. Car hire for the trip is optional but those on a budget can take a local songtaew and hop of at the top of the soi. The locals are very friendly and can often be seen in their exotic costumes.