Will I Have Problems at Immigration? (Previous volunteer visa + lots of COVID extensions)

Hi guys,

American guy here. I've been in and out of Thailand quite a bit over the last few years. Had a year and a half on a Non B (teaching English), then a 1 year volunteer visa after COVID started from 2020-2021. Ended up leaving April 2021, spending 6 months away (in the US, Europe, and Middle East, if it matters), then going back December 2021. Stayed from December 2021 through April 2022 on COVID extensions.

Now, I'm back home in the US. I'm headed to Vietnam next week, but I'd like to go to Thailand again ASAP, but I'm wondering if I'll have any problem getting in, given my history of being there for extended periods. If so, is there any way to maximize my chances with immigration? Maybe I should fly into Chiang Mai or Phuket? Cross a land border? Apply for a tourist visa? Some combination? 

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

I don't think you will have a problem entering the country since you will of been out of the country for some time.

The reports I have seen of people being denied entry only left long enough to get a tourist visa or to return on a visa exempt entry.

I do suggest you get a tourist visa while in VIetnam.

46 minutes ago, losdreaming said:

headed to Vietnam next week, but I'd like to go to Thailand again ASAP, but I'm wondering if I'll have any problem getting in, given my history of being there for extended periods. If so, is there any way to maximize my chances with immigration

IMO if flying into Thailand visa exempt I would opt for CNX.

The Thai consulate in Saigon is good office. You can obtain a tourist visa easily.

Drop off AM and pick up PM next day.

How long would you like to stay in Thailand? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

IMO if flying into Thailand visa exempt I would opt for CNX.

The Thai consulate in Saigon is good office. You can obtain a tourist visa easily.

Drop off AM and pick up PM next day.

How long would you like to stay in Thailand? 

As long as possible. I need to look into long-term visa options. I might do Thai language school. 

33 minutes ago, losdreaming said:

As long as possible.

In that case I would suggest a tourist visa for Thailand obtained in  Vietnam.

Saigon great joint and consulate close to district 1.

Also very simple transport to airport.

The TV will stamp you in for 60 days and you can extend that by 30.

After that land borders will be simple and you can do 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year via land. 

etc. 

heard many problems. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you since you are already out of country.

My agent secured me one while I was IN country (thai language)...not sure if she can do same for you?

22 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

They should be ashamed of themselves in these specific cases.

The guy has better options than entering visa exempt.

He could have obtained a non O..

He also stated ...

"....and stayed here during the whole covid time on covid extentions".

Again he had option of obtaining non O and extensions. 

• Like 1