Check for speeding fines

I only drive to BKK a few times a year but I usually end up with a speeding fine which I pay at the bank.

This morning I got a phone call from a female Thai which my friend translated as I had an unpaid speeding fine and she was from the traffic police. I asked to speak with someone who could speak English so I could get the details and check if it was the last one I paid or one that I have never received in the post but she said she couldn't speak English.

Is there a website where I can check aainst my car reg or driving licence for the details of any traffic fines?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Surely it's a scam?

Well obviously I won't be paying anything until I see the paperwork to show it was my car on that particular day. I only use my car a few times a year as it's easier to go to 7/11 etc on my PCX.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Yes, had 5 or 6 fines in the mail over the last year, didn't pay them. Just paid the tax last week, no problem, got the "sticker".

Yes but, when it gets to 10, you will get a summons to appear in court.

????.............................????

2 hours ago, topt said:

Of course it is. Someone else posted similar not that long ago. 

Why would they (police) ring up and how would they know your phone number.......

Definitely a scam, I get these many times and the funny thing is that our car is in my Wife's name so I always tell them to call my wife and hangup ????

Edited by MJCM

5 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

This morning I got a phone call from a female Thai which my friend translated as I had an unpaid speeding fine and she was from the traffic police.

It's a scam. How would they have your phone number? If you were photographed by a speed cam they send the notice by mail to the address where the car is registered.

My friend who doesn't own a car keeps getting such phone calls very often lately.

I am pretty sure when you answered the phone you heard a recording and only after pressing a number it was "transferred" to a person, right? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

This morning I got a phone call

I've got a few cars registered in my name (probably not a good idea), anyway, I've had a number of speeding fines in the mail for these cars over the past few years which have not been paid.

I've never had a phone call. 

These cars were driven by the wife and a girlfriend. 

I understand I'm accountable for these fines, they're only 500 baht each, on each occasion I've been out of the country working. 

I should get around to paying them one day. 

Does the DLT have your phone number, I can't remember ever having to give my number on any documents. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

It's a scam. How would they have your phone number? If you were photographed by a speed cam they send the notice by mail to the address where the car is registered.

My friend who doesn't own a car keeps getting such phone calls very often lately.

I am pretty sure when you answered the phone you heard a recording and only after pressing a number it was "transferred" to a person, right? 

See the link below

There someone made the remark

The last 2 years the Transport office is asking for telephone number when getting tax

But they call people who even don't a car or in my case our cars are in my wife's name ???? so indeed clearly SPAM calls!

Link to post:

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Well obviously I won't be paying anything until I see the paperwork to show it was my car on that particular day. I only use my car a few times a year as it's easier to go to 7/11 etc on my PCX.

The only place you go to is 7 / 11?

19 hours ago, transam said:

Speeding fines come through the post with photo of the incident. How it is supposed to work is, if you don't pay it you cannot tax your car as the fines people have a link to the LTO.

You will get folk on here say they didn't pay fines and can tax their car, but as I said, "supposed to work"..???? 

No phone calls...

I just got one of those tickets so told "ole lady" to ignore it, doesn't matter. My daughter was upset that I would do that, so I paid it.

I received the photo letters in the mail for the previous occupant for over seven years. They turned up regularly - at least one a month.  We had no forwarding address and the Landlord didn't have one either, so they never got passed on.

I can only assume the Thai lady never paid any fine.  Some good photos though - and the speeds were impressive.  The highest was 175K.  

My wife's cousin was going to bid on a car at auction. Luckily he used the 100 baht registration checking service provided by the auction house. He discovered that 30,000 baht in fines were outstanding, and if he won the bid, before he could register the car in his name the fines would have to be paid.

50 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I just got one of those tickets so told "ole lady" to ignore it, doesn't matter. My daughter was upset that I would do that, so I paid it.

A few years back Mrs.T went to the LTO to pay road tax on her bike, she was told you have an outstanding parking fine, she said no I haven't, they said go to the cop shop and sort it.

She did, they had a photo of her bike to many cms from the curb....????....Seems there is a law about that, anyhoooo, they had a photo, she had to pay the fine. I reckon the fine note was put on the bike but fell or blew off...????

• Confused 1

Yesterday I got a recorded message about a car infraction when I don't own one and today another about a SCB bank account which I don't have either.What will it be tomorrow lol?

I guess if these crooks randomly call enough people some poor soul will be caught off guard..