Key Dem. Senator: U.S. gun reform talks won’t include assault weapons ban, ‘comprehensive’ background checks

onthedarkside

1458482742_ChrisMurphy.jpg.aa678d2f6416e01af02acae5f0ff4504.jpg

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), who is helping lead bipartisan gun reform talks in the Senate, said on Sunday that any potential deal on legislation would not include an assault weapons ban or “comprehensive” background checks.

Murphy told CNN “State of the Union” co-anchor Jake Tapper that the bipartisan group of senators leading the talks following a recent string of high-profile mass shootings met again Saturday night, adding that negotiations are focused on mental health funding, school safety measures and “modest but impactful” gun control proposals.

“We’re not going to do everything I want,” Murphy said.

(more)

https://news.yahoo.com/murphy-gun-reform-talks-won-140230023.html

1497338463_TheHill.jpg.2e5eff87629cebd50482a11e8e0effdf.jpg

Since assault weapons are basically banned anyway, and they already do background checks, I guess that isn't much of a surprise statement.

"adding that negotiations are focused on mental health funding, school safety measures and “modest but impactful” gun control proposals."  ... ????

That would be funny if it wasn't so sad.  And y'all voted for these people.  Som nam na

When I was a kid, my friends and I would all go hunting with our dads for a deer or pheasant, target shooting with the buddies, attend game feasts after the hunting season. Guns were not much of a problem. The gun culture was positive, good wholesome fun for the most part.... until 2008 when a black man was elected president….. “A dangerous black man, born in Kenya, that is a secret Muslin terrorist sympathizer with a fake birth certificate,” according to Fox and white supremacist conspiracy nuts.

Around that time, the Republicans and right wing media developed their “hate and fear” campaign strategy that weaponized the gullible racists, conspiracy nuts, religious homophobes, bigots, uneducated white trash. The gun industry/NRA saw an opportunity to manage, control & exploit the politics of the Republican Party.

The previously positive gun culture was taken over by the haters as Republicans and their fake news empire convinced the base that, “Obama would take their guns.” “Obama is going to rewrite the constitution.” “Obama doesn’t want you to defend your home and family.” “Obama is going to outlaw hunting.” “Obama is going to lock up gun owners who don’t surrender the weapons in FEMA Camps.” (the seeds of the QAnon phenomena were planted)

Guns sales skyrocketed during the Obama administration. More guns were sold between 2009-2016 than any time in USA history. Gun manufacturers worked around the clock and couldn’t begin to fill the incoming orders. The shelves at gun stores were sparse as the Republicans base loaded up on every gun and box of ammo they could find.

Now you know why the entire roster of 50 Republican Senators vote down any laws to control gun sales. Not only their campaigns financed by NRA, scaring the base is a tried and true successful campaign strategy.

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 1