Kuwait Airlines

ftpjtm

I'm looking at flights from New York to BKK and Kuwait Airlines is offering the best price, saving $600 on the trip vs the next best option (for 2 persons Business Class). I've never flown with them and wondering if it would be a mistake. 

One issue is there is a 9 hour layover in Kuwait Airport. I hear it's in turmoil due to construction. I wouldn't mind getting a hotel except I saw a video where it took more than an hour to get through security to enter the airport. 

Does anyone have recent experience with travel via Kuwait? Am I better off spending an extra $600 to do it via Finnair?

I lived in Kuwait, have flown Kuwait Airways and been to Kuwait airport many times.  Would I ever go back to Kuwait? No.  Would I ever fly Kuwait Airways again? No.  Would I ever ever want to layover at Kuwait Airport? No.  The air fare  is low because of the poor service and low demand for it’s flights.  My last flight on KW was from Kuwait to Bangkok after I finished my last contract.  The flight was awful.  Kuwait is like Saudi Arabia.  No adult drinks served. Of course you can imagine what the inflight entertainment was like.  Typical meal service was some kind of rice dish with chicken or beef.  Drinks were water, tea(of course) coffee and Pepsi bottled in the MIddle East.  

Look at Qatar or Emirates if you want the USA East Coast to Middle East route.  Doha and Dubai are great airports to layover.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

I lived in Kuwait, have flown Kuwait Airways and been to Kuwait airport many times.  Would I ever go back to Kuwait? No.  Would I ever fly Kuwait Airways again? No.  Would I ever ever want to layover at Kuwait Airport? No.  The air fare  is low because of the poor service and low demand for it’s flights.  My last flight on KW was from Kuwait to Bangkok after I finished my last contract.  The flight was awful.  Kuwait is like Saudi Arabia.  No adult drinks served. Of course you can imagine what the inflight entertainment was like.  Typical meal service was some kind of rice dish with chicken or beef.  Drinks were water, tea(of course) coffee and Pepsi bottled in the MIddle East.  

Look at Qatar or Emirates if you want the USA East Coast to Middle East route.  Doha and Dubai are great airports to layover.  

Thanks. Pretty much what I expected to hear, but I used to avoid Turkish Airlines thinking it would be awful and shocked at how good they are when I finally tried them. I thought possibly it would be the same situation with Kuwait but I guess not.

AVOID

KU used to have for me some well timed departures MNL-BKK. Not bad for 3 hours but horrid airline.

The galley slaves are mostly nice Thai people but the pursers up in Business! Glaring and hostile Kuwaiti men. Get the feeling they don't care much for westerners. 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Obviously this isn't the only option, a 9 hour layover??  Search and choose a better flight plan.

"Kuwait Airlines is offering the best price, saving $600 on the trip vs the next best option (for 2 persons Business Class)"

Obviously there are better options. This is the cheapest. My question is are the better options worth $600+ more.

Judging by the responses, probably yes.